Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grit or sand for laying a patio area

Options
  • 28-08-2005 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

i was wondering what is the best for layong a patio area. I would use sand of I was layong one but I have noticed receantly that alow of professionals are using a fine grit for laying bricks on driveways and patios. is this a better way as you probably would have less movement with grit than you would with sand. I have 2 patios to lay 3 - 4 meters each and am not sure which to use below the slabs, anyone got any ideas or experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

I only did it once and I used sand and laid the slabs on top of it. Fine when everything is dry but you tend to get a bit of rocking when it is very wet at the edges. Still it worked okay until we moved and now have to face up to doing it again...
    If I had to do it again I would use grit if it was available...but you may have to put some sand on top anyway to get a level area...

Advertisement