Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wifi connection problemo... (should be easy so take a look)

• 28-08-2005 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭

Hi again..

I've changed alot since my last word.. i've reinstalled XP
    (had installed WIN98 after deleting XP but it only lasted on it for 18 hours!)

And i installed the wifi card (on the laptop) again and to my surprise the connection works!

But i've got a problem my laptop isnt recieving any "packets" it is
    only senting them. (from the connection page)

basically im sending my stuff but i aint getting anything back from
    the router but the laptop and the router are connected as the connection
    is enabled and recieving.

So i cant access the internet or do anything.

Anyone help me with this one??

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ^Im with Stupid

Im having similar probs. Originally I tried to network my PC and laptop via Ethernet but I had to go wireless instead.

Basically both the PC and laptop say they're connected. But both only ever send data, and never recieve it. I cannot file share (all settings correct) and LAN games wont work. The only thing registering the connection is the icon in the taskbar! At this stage I've lost almost all patience, I thought this was going to be easy!!!!
    (It probably is though and Im just missing somthing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Wandering Dazed

Have you checked the ip settings on the cards? If set to obtain address automatically then you will need a dhcp server somewhere. Which should be on your router. Do you have another system that works? Try emmulating the settings on it, but change the ip address by 1 number.

If you are connected directly to a wireless router then you need to run through the manual of the unit to find out what the default ip address is and assign your card a similar one. Then ip into the router and check its settings. If you have security enabled on the router then you will not be able to connect unless you set the card up similarly. You could always reset the router back to defaults but make sure you know your isp's settings.

More info on your setup, tcp/ip settings, hardware involved would be a help.

I new to all this networking thing and I cant get my head around it at all!
    Ok its an computer to computer connection (ad-hoc?). Ive seen dhcp before but what is it? I dont have a router so do I still need dhcp?

Hardware-wise, the laptop has an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG, and the Desktop has a Belkin G USB Adapter. Both peices of hardware have their own software preventing me from using the WinXP wireless network setup. Ill give what I see about my tcp/ip settings, which are the same on both systems:

GENERAL:
    Obtain IP automatically
    Obtain DNS server address automatically

ALTERNATE CONFIG:
    Automatic Private Address

GENERAL/ADVANCED
    IP SETTINGS:
    IP Address DHCP Enabled
    Automatic Metric (ticked)

DNS:
    Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes
    Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix (ticked)
    Register this connection's addresses in DNS (ticked)

WINS:
    Enable LMHOSTS lookup
    NetBIOS setting (Default)

OPTIONAL SETTINGS:
    TCP/IP filtering

Ive called my Tech support line and they've said that as long as the computers are sending data, there's nothing they can do. Help!

Thanks! =)

DHCP stands for Domain Host Configuration Protocol which boils down to that the dhcp service will assign your card an ip address rather than you setting a static one. From what you mention above, then it is likely you do not have a dhcp server. It would be interesting to see how the tech support line confirmed you are sending data if you can't receive data ;)

Anyway, things to try:

1) Make sure the ssid on both adaptors are the same. (On my adaptors setup in the driver properties in Device manager or setup software)
    2) Both cards use the same channel frequency.
    3) Set one card to a static ip address of 10.0.0.1 and the other to 10.0.0.2 and both to subnet 255.0.0.0
    4) From a command prompt on the system using 10.0.0.1 type "ping 10.0.0.2" if you get a reply you are connected and can see the other system.
    5) Create some shares and in start run type \\10.0.0.x\ where x is the ip address with files shared out. See if you can view the shares from either machine.

Users guide for the intel card is here:
    http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro2200bg/sb/cs-008179.htm

User manual for the belkin is here:
    http://web.belkin.com/support/download/downloaddetails.asp?download=1380&lang=1

The guides should will show you how to set the cards up using any proprietary software. Though the main points to set up are the ssid (network name), channel freq and matching ip addresses.

Once you have a basic ad hoc network setup and you can browse shares then I'd recommend you setup security on the network (wep etc) to stop friendly neighbours joining ur free network and messing with your files. :)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for those guides, and all your help so far!

The situation has changed now however, I was given a v good deal on a wireless router, so Ive installed that and I see what you mean about the DHCP assigning IP addresses.
    I have a solid internet connection (the desktop has a wired connection now so only the laptop is wireless). But im strangely having the same problem. I tried the pinging (great tip, thanks!), I can ping the router from both systems, and get a reply straight away. But I cannot ping from system to system, and no shares are visible from either system, yet they are both shown as valid LAN clients on the router setup.

I hope im not trying your patience at this stage but this is the only place im getting useful answers so thank you again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Please specify the IP Address and subnet mask assigned to each computer/"system".
    What firewall/filtering software do you have installed on each system? Is the Windows Firewall enabled?

Both systems have Norton Internet security, which has deactivcated the windows firewall. Here's the info for ya...

SYSTEM 1 (DESKTOP) LOCAL AREA CONNECTION STATUS:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Addres: 192.168.1.4

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

SYSTEM 2 (LAPTOP) LOCAL AREA CONNECTION STATUS:

Addess Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address: 192.168.1.2

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Disconnect from the internet and disable norton internet security on both systems and see can you ping and share files now. Your ip settings look grand. Could just be norton that needs tweaking now.

Alright! Progress! Disabling the firewall I can ping between systems and get 100% reply! Hurrah! It should be no prob configuring norton. Thank you! :D

But........ :o

I still cant veiw shares :(

I've even tried start>run and entring IP addresses but I only ever see the shared folders of the system that Im working on at that moment.
    Any ideas? :confused:

Nevermind, that sharing prob has eventually worked itself out. Thanks for all your help!

Onward! there is sharing to be done! :D

• Advertisement

Yay nice one :)

Advertisement