Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of getting a jap psp.

Options
  • 28-08-2005 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

just looking on ebay and these things are a lot cheaper than what they'll be when they are released thursday.

just noticing when i was browsing ebay a lot of them are listed stating the lcd screen is a sharp screen? is this A) good B) bad?

most of the sellers use dhl as a shipping method, how long should that take?

or would i be better off going and buying it from lik-sang? i know i'd have to pay tax but i wouldn't mind. would i get it faster?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

My advice, wait the 3 days until the Euopean release. you can get a valid receipt and won't have any bother getting it sorted it out if things go arseways. Buying from an unknown seller on eBay just seems like madness when you can get it in reputable places like HMV, Gamestop etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

I can't answer all your questions, but to warn you, UMD movies are based on Regions, so if you buy a UMD movie here, it wont work.

Games are region free I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

BLARG wrote:
    I can't answer all your questions, but to warn you, UMD movies are based on Regions, so if you buy a UMD movie here, it wont work.

but that's the reasoning behind getting a jap one

so i can play umd's (they are region 2 aswell).

i'd like to get a jap one for the reasoning that i would like to try the homebrew or whatever it is called, and as the euro psp's are shipping with v2.0 (i think) and homebrew doesn't work on that.

i've actually gone off the ebay route as i didn't factor in the shipping costs, and the shipping costs and the added risk actually make it not worthwhile.

this is what i was thinking of getting this off lik sang

sony psp value pack - 227 euros
    memory stick 1gb - 93 euros
    ridge racers - 40 euros
    metal gear - 40 euros
    screen protectors 5 euros

total of 408 euros

Homebrew will only work on firmware versions 1.00, 1.50, 1.51, 1.52

You'd be extremely lucky to find a PSP on the net with one of these, as most are now shipped with 2.0, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure about that. It won't be long until someone hacks 2.0

is it a certainity that someone will hack version 2?

on the lik-sang review someone wrote a review on the 21st august saying they received their psp with firmware 1.5 installed.

was he just really lucky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Homebrew only works on 1.00 and 1.50. Any new PSP's will be shipping with 1.52+. There is meant to be a 1.51/1.52 downgrader released on the 1st of September from Team Wab.

all right, i've bitten the bullet and i've purchased from lik-sang.

is the UPS delivery time of 1-3 days accurate?

what do you reckon the tax will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

check the bargain alerts section for psp's thread and u might find out, it'll probably be at least 50 euros if ur unlucky

edit: didnt see all the stuff u ordered! hopefully they dont have ur invoice on the outside!

that's grand, i'll get taxed on it i'm sure. it's delivered by UPS.

in work we get stuff delivered by UPS and takes 2 days from the UK, so i'm guessing it will take at least double that to come from asia?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

safe bet that 2.00 is cracked and will be out after 1st sept, slapping sony right where it hurts, i preorderd mine and id recommend you get 2.00 and wait it out until it gets hacked or gets a downgrade.

I think the SCREEN thing is a rumour, the screens the same on JAP/EURO.

also memory stick 1gb - 93 euros ? where ? ebay ?

• Advertisement

everything was bought on lik-sang.

about the screen, there must be a reason why they mention it, are sharp screen less prone to dead pixels?

not sure but get that **** after 2-3rd of august , youll know by then if 2.00 is actually cracked or not.
    80% it is !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Let us know how much you get stung by customs Cremo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

With regard to the screen thing, the Sharp screen is what was on the very first Japanese models. They switched to Samsung for the American release and all new Japanese ones/European ones are Samsung too. The Sharp screen is said to be slightly brighter but I don't think the difference is worth worrying about.

Sony only released 2.0 in America a couple of days ago and it's been out a few weeks in Japan, so I seriously doubt anything on ebay will already be 2.0. However 1.52 is far more likely and that hasn't been cracked yet either, there's talk of a downgrader on the way though as has been said. Version 1.0/1.5 is what you really want though, they're basically the same. I had a 1.0 original Japanese model(with Sharp screen I assume although there's nothing written on it, I'll be interested to compare with a euro model, all my friends got original Jap models too), I've since upgraded it to 1.5 but I won't touch anything higher till I know it's safe. I spend more time playing Megadrive and SNES games on it than I do PSP games(played the ones I bought to death and waiting for new releases) so homebrew is definitely something you want.

Delivery from Lik-Sang was very reliable for me by the way. 2 days. Got slapped for 80 quid tax though(I bought a lot of other bits and pieces with the PSP), I definitely don't regret it all in all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

BLARG wrote:

Jap PSP is same reagon for UMD movies as Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

steviec wrote:
    With regard to the screen thing, the Sharp screen is what was on the very first Japanese models. They switched to Samsung for the American release and all new Japanese ones/European ones are Samsung too. The Sharp screen is said to be slightly brighter but I don't think the difference is worth worrying about.

Sony only released 2.0 in America a couple of days ago and it's been out a few weeks in Japan, so I seriously doubt anything on ebay will already be 2.0. However 1.52 is far more likely and that hasn't been cracked yet either, there's talk of a downgrader on the way though as has been said. Version 1.0/1.5 is what you really want though, they're basically the same. I had a 1.0 original Japanese model(with Sharp screen I assume although there's nothing written on it, I'll be interested to compare with a euro model, all my friends got original Jap models too), I've since upgraded it to 1.5 but I won't touch anything higher till I know it's safe. I spend more time playing Megadrive and SNES games on it than I do PSP games(played the ones I bought to death and waiting for new releases) so homebrew is definitely something you want.

Delivery from Lik-Sang was very reliable for me by the way. 2 days. Got slapped for 80 quid tax though(I bought a lot of other bits and pieces with the PSP), I definitely don't regret it all in all.

Yeah I agree totally, all I play now are emulated SNES games on the PSP, the actual PSP games are ****e except for Everyone Golf, Lumines and Ridge racer, the rest range from looking good with horrible load times or just plain bad, now that DS has Advance wars it wipes the floor with the PSP as far as games.

but lets see what happens things have to turn around for PSP its huge potential is there.

well i'm looking forward to some sort of pro evo, GTA and gran turismo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

And if you get the jap version, if you have any kind of problem with it, you can't return it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

mp3guy wrote:
    And if you get the jap version, if you have any kind of problem with it, you can't return it

Yea my DS has a couple of dead pixels because of that. I have to say Lik-Sang's customer service were very fast to respond and very friendly, but at the end of the day they said dead pixels aren't considered a defect(by Nintendo Japan, unlike Nintendo America) so there was nothing they could do. They offered to have it looked at but said that could take weeks if not months so I left it.

If it was a more serious problem though I doubt there'd be muc to worry about, Liksang's customer care staff seemed very genuine and very apologetic and I think they do their best to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

it has being confirmed that the european psps will come with 1.52 and 2.00 on the sampler disc ( some official austrailian psp site is meant to even have a guide to upgrading with the sampler disc). So if you have any interest homebrew you will be able to downgrade as long as you know someone with a 1.50/1.00 as the method to downgrade requires this, so it must be done over wifi or something. But if you have any interest homebrew dont upgrade to 2.00 just because you think that'll be cracked too, it may happen, it may never happen. All the forums are full of ppl crying as they upgraded from 1.51/1.52 to 2.00 because they thought that would be cracked first and they'll be the same ppl who upgrade to 2.01 when 2.00 can be hacked/downgraded. The guy who's releasing the downgrader just wants the word out that ppl will have the option of downgrading when they get their european psp's and you will hear ppl on thursday evening asking why they cant run homebrew on their 2.00 after they just upgraded. Hopefully someone creates a custom firmware which has much more features that the normal firmware. And for the time being anyways u can use the wab version changer to change the firmware version to 2.00 ( even though its still really 1.00/1.50) so you play the new games that require 1.51+. So hopefully i'll be playing virtua tennis on thursday :) . Also you can run umd games at the full 333mhz (and not underclocked to 222mhz) so loading times arent as bad.

lol buy your psp from argos, it plays dvds and takes photos

http://ccc.1asphost.com/corpus/argosfault.jpg

http://pspupdates.com/forum/showthread.php?p=139784&mode=threaded#post139784

• Advertisement

is there a downgrader for 1.52 ? i dunno anyone with 1.5
    i think psp dev have 2.00 cracked. I hope so, 2.00 has that browser i want.

2 more days.
    weeeeeee

mine shipped today so hopefully have it wednesday stroke thursday,

i'll let you know how i get on.

got it today, and i'm impressed despite having to pay customs of 106 euros.

the screen is ultra bright with no dead pixels at all.

the firmware according to the system infomation is 1.50

is it true that some games update the firmware? if so can i get a list of them?

one thing that is annoying me at the moment is trying to connect it to the pc, i don't have a memory card reader so i can't just take out the stick and slap it in a reader.

i got the usb 2 in 1 cable (connects to usb and charges the psp).

i can get my computer to recognise the device but anytime i tried dragging a file over be it an audio clip or a short video clip i get this error.

" cannot copy across due to an I/O Error" - something along those lines

anyone know how to over come this?

106 eurines! :eek:

That's sickening. You're I/O device error might have something to do with the cable, is it third party? It happens to me sometimes too when I use my Nokia USB cable that was originally for my N-Gage.

the cable was third party,

i tried with my iriver cable and it works no problem at all.

thanks

*EDIT* what folder do i put movies into, i've got

GAME
    MUSIC
    PHOTO
    SAVEDATA?

Cremo wrote:
    the cable was third party,

i tried with my iriver cable and it works no problem at all.

thanks

*EDIT* what folder do i put movies into, i've got

GAME
    MUSIC
    PHOTO
    SAVEDATA?

You've got to fiddle around a good bit to put on movies. Your best bet is to use this site: http://psp.connect.com/main.html . (Ignore the thing about the new firmware and head down to the 3 easy steps section.)

By the way, the movies you want to put on have to be converted to MP4. Do this by using this application: http://www.pspvideo9.com/
    Worked a charm for me :)

qz wrote:
    You've got to fiddle around a good bit to put on movies. Your best bet is to use this site: http://psp.connect.com/main.html . (Ignore the thing about the new firmware and head down to the 3 easy steps section.)

By the way, the movies you want to put on have to be converted to MP4. Do this by using this application: http://www.pspvideo9.com/
    Worked a charm for me :)
    k i'll try that.

how do i set a picture as my wallpaper, i don't see the set as wallpaper button in image view

One of the many features 2.0 gives you is the ability to change your wallpapers. Seeing as you have 1.50, you can only change by doing it through a tricky process. You could always upgrade but you'd lose the ability to play homebrew.

ohh okay, well i'll keep 1.5 then

cheers the video is working fine now, thanks for helping a newbie out. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement