Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stereophonics

• 28-08-2005 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering is there anyone going this Saturday nite... or how do people feel in general about them

Personally I love them... Why I think it's the lyrics the melodies etc...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Worst band ever, hands down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

PiE wrote:
    Worst band ever, hands down.

i concur with Mr 3.14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

amazing band, great lyrics, great singer, great melodies and amazing live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Sugarbear

Meh, I dunno about their lyrics or whatever, but I think their sound is annoying and whiney....

Sugarbear wrote:
    Meh, I dunno about their lyrics or whatever, but I think their sound is annoying and whiney....

just like your post :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

They seem to be the latest fad amongst trendy music listeners.

Never heard them myself tbh, but I don't follow trends, perhaps I'll listen to them sometime in the future when I feel like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Their first two albums are very good. If they were set to play all, or mostly, songs from them, I'd jump at the chance to see them. They kinda lost it after that though. Not really interested anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Really like their earlier stuff, not so much their more recent stuff. have seen em a few times, might go saturday. havent a ticket but i doubt theyll sell out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

JC 2K3 wrote:

Never heard them myself tbh, but I don't follow trends, perhaps I'll listen to them sometime in the future when I feel like it.

I wouldn't really call them a fad they've been around for about 10years give or take...
    sure they've not had the greatest success since JEEP and YGGTTCB but they have been workin alot in america & the rest of the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Sugarbear wrote:

Yeah thats my opinion too. A lotta their lyrics don't make sense, and at this I haven't really been impressed too much my their sound. Mr. Writer is my favourite song, in fairness its brilliant, and The Bartender and The Thief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

1st two albums very good but JEEP and YGGTTCB are absolutely mindblowingly awful!

Language, Sex, Violence, Other? is their best album but is massively underrated. Their sound now is far more innovative and exciting than it ever has but those 3rd and 4th albums have lost them alot of credit from the critics and fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 the dice man

JC 2K3 wrote:

lol

wtf! where have you been for the last ten years?

good first album, half decent second album and then went to ****

haven't heard the lastest one so can't comment on that so zane might be right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

1st two albums very good but JEEP and YGGTTCB are absolutely mindblowingly awful!

Language, Sex, Violence, Other? is their best album but is massively underrated. Their sound now is far more innovative and exciting than it ever has but those 3rd and 4th albums have lost them alot of credit from the critics and fans.

Spot on. Well except YGGTTCB isn't that bad

I'm going on Saturday, looking forward to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bstatic

I like the stereophonics music, can't say I'm familiar with all their stuff but what I've heard I like.
    However has anyone heard the radio ad for their current tour?
    What was the quote? "One of the best live acts in the world!"
    . . . Thats quite an overstatement to say the least!

lol

wtf! where have you been for the last ten years?

good first album, half decent second album and then went to ****

haven't heard the lastest one so can't comment on that so zane might be right

I meant trendy music listeners, the fad was Coldplay a few months ago, basically when a band brings out a publicised new album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

JC 2K3 wrote:

Obviously hugely into your music then yeah? Stereophonics arent a fad band, unless of course the likes of Oasis are a fad band.. cause the phonics have been going for ages. Not my favourite band in the world, I dont really enjoy what they do, but they dont annoy me enough to turn off a radio if they came on. Think they've always been a popular mainstream band, every album they've released has had some success... think Dakota was such a catchy song that it nicely paved the way for their come back.
    Trying to act all cool by calling a band like the stereophonics a fad band, that just aint pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I meant trendy music listeners, the fad was Coldplay a few months ago, basically when a band brings out a publicised new album.

You make little sense. I don't like either Stereophonics or Coldplay but I'd consider them both established acts at this stage, not fads. Even among "trendy music listeners". Why did anyone who doesn't like Stereophonics bother to post in this thread? It was a simple question about the gig and so far practically zilch posts on topic. *boggle*

lol, relax guys, Stereophonics could be good for all I know, I haven't heard them, just sayin they seem to be the latest band to get a lot of publicity.
    john2 wrote:
    You make little sense. I don't like either Stereophonics or Coldplay but I'd consider them both established acts at this stage, not fads. Even among "trendy music listeners". Why did anyone who doesn't like Stereophonics bother to post in this thread? It was a simple question about the gig and so far practically zilch posts on topic. *boggle*
    contradiction :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

trishw78 wrote:
    how do people feel in general about them

He/She asked how people feel, so a positive or negative response is appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Sorry, misread the original post.

JC, seriously, have you been living under a rock? I've done my best to avoid the Stereophonics the last ten years :confused:

• Advertisement

John2 wrote:
    Sorry, misread the original post.

JC, seriously, have you been living under a rock? I've done my best to avoid the Stereophonics the last ten years :confused:

I'm only 16 :p and I don't listen to the radio much, just heard a lot of talk about them from other people, maybe they might not be the latest "fad" but I used the word "seem" in my original post :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

JC 2K3 wrote:
    just heard a lot of talk about them from other people, maybe they might not be the latest "fad" but I used the word "seem" in my original post :p
    You're not one of these people who gets an automatic dislike for any "publicised" band, are you? Please say you're not... otherwise i have to break kneecaps :p

I saw stereophonics live twice before, and i think i'll pass on it this time (unless i get cheap tickets at the last minute). They're good, but they're no radiohead :P

That's a good comment & it's true there no Radiohead I've been to quite a few stereophonics gigs and been let down ie Slane & the Dublin castle gig but I have faith in them & true I do thing it's an overstatement to say that the the best band live in the world But it's just publicity....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Always liked their tunes but never bought any of their albums (until recently..) - just the odd single.
    However, bought new album a week ago (after much pressure from a mate who also "discovered" it) and really like it.
    Seems to be a new edge alright (as mentioned on this post).
    Also, I saw the film "Crash" the other day and "Maybe tomorrow" is used in it.
    Great tune!
    I always thought they dont get enough respect as musicians due to having Kelly Jones as lead - he's given too much press for being cute / pin up than for his musical talent in my opinion. I think they tend to get a younger following too - late schoolers, early college years.
    However, the new album seems to be changing this as its earning them a good deal of respect.

I havent got tickets yet, but will keep an eye on the FS tickets page :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

when i saw them live a while ago at witnness i thought they were great live, but that was because they played all the old songs form first two albums, which i think are great albums.
    however the next two albums are shocking !!!!
    heard the newer one is better thou and the song in crash was great,i was told it was them,i had no idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rondo

A couple of years ago I was in the Bleeding Horse at the top of Capel Street and this guy came in giving away free tickets to a then unknown band named the Stereophonics who were playing in the Redbox that night. Obviously they hadn't come anywhere near selling out the gig and were trying to fill up the venue.

Myself and a few mates went along and even though we didn't know their material we left well impressed - a thousand trees in particular was a belter.

It seems that with the success of their second album commercial pressures have influenced their sound too much, and not in a good way I might add. Still think Kelly Jones has it in him to be a world class songwriter though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Their first 2 albums are very good, the singles of JEEP are good but apparently it's not a great album, think YHTGTTCB is fine, it's not great but it won't leave you crying either. Dakota is great song. Certainly not a bad band by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Saturday will be my 30th time seeing them live

OMFG some people are that old

• Advertisement

just got tickets on the FS forum :D
    Never seen them live... one of the very few big bands I think I havent seen actually.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I bought Performance and Cocktails. I'm really not sure what compelled me to do so, but I did it all the same. With the benefit of hindsight, in this case about four days after parting with my cash, I realised that it was the worst album I had ever parted with money for. It now sits at the bottom of a stack of CDs, which in themselves would be among the lesser played of my collection - but the important thing is that they do get played, waiting for the day when I appear to be a coaster short for a guests's drink, or perhaps when the kid next door inevitably loses his frisbee and needs a replacement, then shall the CD once more see the light of day, but not before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

I'm heading to gig. Haven't seen them live before so i'm looking forward to it.
    Agree with comments re albums: first two - great, next two - not great, latest - pretty darn good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

JC 2K3 wrote:

Pogs were a fad, stickers were a fad, slinkies were a fad, Stereophonics are a band with 5 albums. I think a fad has to be the absolute in-thing that everyone likes that just vanishes after a while, I wouldn't consider 5 albums in 10 years to be vanishing. I don't think you can really call a band or its music a fad, maybe posing as a "rocker" is a fad, but I don't think it works in this case, in my opinion anyway.

May as well post here after being at the gig last night.
    First time ever seen them live as was well impressed!
    Highlights was "Maybe Tomorrow" done solo by Kelly on elec guitar.
    Really stole the show for me.
    Ending with Dakota was brilliant.
    The poor acoustics at the Point never help, but I guess it was full on guitars blaring, so many probably didnt care.
    Overall, a great live performance and the crowd lapped it up.

(The support act, The Dead 60's, sounded pretty good from the bar...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Great Gig!

Agree with whiskey, 'Maybe Tomorrow' was great. I enjoyed all the old stuff too, 'Thousand Trees' and 'Just Looking' were class.

• Advertisement

anyone who didnt get to the gig and wants to see them live check out the following site which has a full stereophonics gig from april this month on it :D

www.fabchannel.com

Jammer wrote:
    Great Gig!

Agree with whiskey, 'Maybe Tomorrow' was great. I enjoyed all the old stuff too, 'Thousand Trees' and 'Just Looking' were class.

im jealous :( i wanted to go but my friend who had said sh'ed come with me went and made other plans! ("friend"..). Ive seen them a few times but i wanted to again! and i love their old stuff, a thousand trees & just looking are two of my fav songs!!! GRRR :(

sar84 wrote:
    im jealous :( i wanted to go but my friend who had said sh'ed come with me went and made other plans! ("friend"..). Ive seen them a few times but i wanted to again! and i love their old stuff, a thousand trees & just looking are two of my fav songs!!! GRRR :(

Thats not to take away from 'Bartender and the Theif' or 'More life then a tramps vest' or 'Mr Writer' or 'Traffic'.... :p:D

Jammer wrote:
    Thats not to take away from 'Bartender and the Theif' or 'More life then a tramps vest' or 'Mr Writer' or 'Traffic'.... :p:D
    GRRRR

well rnt u just MEAN. although i cant stand mr writer, bloody song wrecks my head. traffics great tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

jc 2k3, whoever you are... please take a check on your asshole before talking so much shit

Even if you are 16, don't start talking on messageboards about music unless you know what you're talking about. Stereophonics were one of the biggest bands of the late 90's and have some pretty shit hot material out there... Fad? Are you fucking joking? Go get some pubes for yourself!

Having said that their last two albums were shit and their new one only has but a little sniff of what they were once capable of.

They once sold out Slane but I heard the Point was only half full at the weekend... that tells a story on it's own

• Advertisement

moshpit77 wrote:
    jc 2k3, whoever you are... please take a check on your asshole before talking so much shit

Even if you are 16, don't start talking on messageboards about music unless you know what you're talking about. Stereophonics were one of the biggest bands of the late 90's and have some pretty shit hot material out there... Fad? Are you fucking joking? Go get some pubes for yourself!

Having said that their last two albums were shit and their new one only has but a little sniff of what they were once capable of.

They once sold out Slane but I heard the Point was only half full at the weekend... that tells a story on it's own

It was Sell-Out! My sister tried to get a ticket on sat morning, and couldn't. It was packed.

Even Roy Keane came along for a listen! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

Keano, Keano!..
    That was an AMAZING show. I was there the last time they played the Point too, and both were fantastic sellout shows. In true style, they also played a LOAD of old material, which was great to hear live again!

Thought it was a thoroughly splendid gig. The set was great. All the old classics were in there. Loved hearing Hurry Up & Wait live. Maybe Tomorrow was another highlight and the new stuff sounded great as well. Superman was an excellent way to open the show.

That was amazing even better then the last time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 davidtaylor

ah yes it was good alright.
    Mr writer, maybe tomorrow, superman, doorman, and dakota were great.
    Keano droppin' in was good too. oh and not to mention the johnnies that were blown up and thrown around near the front...(which my mates started)
    Very, very, very hot, scabby rodies who didn't give out enough water for shame!! may god spite yee.

all in all 'twas a good night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Thought it was a thoroughly splendid gig. The set was great. All the old classics were in there. Loved hearing Hurry Up & Wait live. Maybe Tomorrow was another highlight and the new stuff sounded great as well. Superman was an excellent way to open the show.

Awesome even? ;)

Brilliant gig. Like his little stand up routine in the middle too :D Dakota was my highlight, was waiting for that one all night! Excellent night....shame about the company though.... :p

Was Keano there davidtaylor?

ClareBear wrote:
    Awesome even? ;)

Brilliant gig. Like his little stand up routine in the middle too :D Dakota was my highlight, was waiting for that one all night! Excellent night....shame about the company though.... :p

Pfft, women. Impossible to please! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Pfft, women. Impossible to please! ;)

:p

Apart from the horrible company, Stereophonics were class.....one could even say...awesome??? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 davidtaylor

ClareBear wrote:
    Was Keano there davidtaylor?

He was indeed. He was sitting in the part to the right of the stage... the upper part...

Advertisement