Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any new series starting?

Options
  • 28-08-2005 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Haven't watched any anime series recently. A friend of mine gave me a loan of GITS: Standalone Complex and it has got me interested again.

Does anybody know of any new series starting soon that are supposed to be good. I guess I'd be looking for a fansubbed release of something that I can follow from the start.

Maybe I'm asking at the wrong time but I assumed that new series start around September

I've heard the Full Metal Alchemist is good but is's a bit late to start watching it, I may as well wait until its on tv.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

cosgrove80 wrote:
    I may as well wait until its on tv.

You'll be waiting a long old time before they show any anime aimed at >10 year olds on TV in Ireland.

Nothing really spectacular on the radar recently, 2004 started a few anime series that I liked, but 2005 has been slim pickings, lots of samey shounen.

Samurai Champloo is apparently excellent though, I have yet to see it but I doubt you'll hear anyone who'll tell you not to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

well, dont know about stuff thats just about to start showing in Japan, but recent title worth checking out.
    ahh my goddess, havnt seen it yet, If only my internet conenction would be fixed id download it in a flash, loved the ova's when they came out some years ago, just brilliant.
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=3639

very nice and interesting Sequel to macross, havnt finished watching it yet, not quite recent though.
    http://www.stomptokyo.com/scott/blog/C351654541/E1991435591/

Paranoia agent, excellent altogether
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=3169

and ill second Samurai Champoo above, its pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Typically the best stuff seems to come out in the autumn/october season and the spring/april season - just seems to be a trend over the last couple of years. The verdict on last autumns season was quite good, especially after a weak summer season (well Okay last summer kicked off Otogizoushi, Elfen Lied, Kurau ~Phantom Memory, but the rest was quite weak, although I liked Girls Bravo a lot).

The jury is still out on this April's season, as many of the releases haven't gotten up to speed yet, or have been compounded by sluggish fansubber response. Many of the hyped series have not met expectations, and some of the good stuff is still relatively unknown.

Here's my personal low down of recent material:
    He is My Master - a welcome return for Gainax. Its fanservicey maid stuff, but its good and funny, and its got lots of otaku in-jokes and I really like the characters.

Iriya no Sora, UFO no natsu - kinda similar to SaiKano except it doesn't possess that series' emotional sledgehammer. Haven't seen it all, I am waiting for Lunar to finish it (I could be waiting) as the Any-Spork crew botched the encode of ep 3. Short (6) and complete. Also the SaiKano OVA series has just been released (no fansub yet AFAIK)

Victorian Romance Emma - theres a lot of people who liked this, I can't presonally vouch for it though.

Theres a lot of people raving silly over Tsubasa RC, but its an anime adaption of an only-OK manga (it only succeeds due to the characters being already established through previous works) though the anime is enjoyable.

Basilisk - I like what I see. Gonzo does their usual thing of bringing out lotsa new series but half disappoint.

Theres the ongoing stuff thats good, like Naruto, Bleach, Monster etc.

I just spotted that Yukikaze final episode should be released soon.

Theres also Dokuro-chan, but thats a bit special. Impossible to have a neutral opinion on this.

Theres a few people saying good stuff about Kamichu, but fansubbing seems a bit slow.

There were also a few high profile series released, should be enough fansbs to retain interest, but I haven't seen any/enough episodes to completely comment:
    Sousei no Aquarion - Shoji Kawamori mecha anime
    Eureka 7 - BONES mecha anime (with Kawamori mecha designs) - possibly very shounen, but its quite popular in Japan (its got game heritage) but BONES are at the helm so they always get the benefit of the doubt.
    Speed Grapher - GONZO doing more Gantz styles stuff. Opinion seems a bit mixed though.
    Trinity Blood - another GONZO series, opinion seems quite positive, despite the obvious Hellsing comparisons.

There are a lot of last years seasons that have completed, that are well worth checking out: Genshiken, 2x2 = Shinobuden, Gankutsuoh, Tactics, Fantastic Children, Air, Major and Futakoi (+ Futakoi alternative).

Full Metal Alchemist is well worth checking out at any time.

New new stuff - everyone is raving over Full Metal Panic!

Slow slow stuff - some good titles are taking an age to get fansubbed: Windy Tales, Gallery Fake (stalled/dropped?), Zipang (picking up) and Gakuen Alice.

woah yeah cool, nice one sharingan, some stuff there I might check out, especially Iriya no Sora, UFO no natsu , I recall someone raving about that, on one of the irc channels on efnet, I must get my hands on it./

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Well it's not really starting per se, but Ghost In The Shell: Standalone Complex 2nd GIG is going to be translated into English after christmas by Manga UK. If you're looking for something new to watch, try Samurai Champloo... (I know it's in no way new but if you haven't seen Samurai-X - The Trust/Betrayal OAV's.. see them, best anime I've ever seen)

• Advertisement

Laguna wrote:
    Well it's not really starting per se, but Ghost In The Shell: Standalone Complex 2nd GIG is going to be translated into English after christmas by Manga UK. If you're looking for something new to watch, try Samurai Champloo... (I know it's in no way new but if you haven't seen Samurai-X - The Trust/Betrayal OAV's.. see them, best anime I've ever seen)

aye, seconded, the Kenshin OVA's are godlike.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Thank for all the replies (some very lengthy ones at that) and suggestions. Sharingan, thanks for the list. Must look into a few of tham

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

My anime watchign has been slow over the last year - my fansub feed got very erratic to the point that I wouldn't commit to watching anything new.

In any case I am gettign into Fantastic Children and I like it. A bit of a surprise series. Its painfully under-funded but the core story is quite good (several white haired children have been appearing & reappearing over the last 5 centuries). The mystery is cool, and excellent when it is fully exposed half way through. One biggy is that the main character is a bit uninteresting. He has got the whole shounen-protagonist thing going, and he has been channeling Mirai Shounen Conan & Ranma a bit lately, without ever gettign as interesting as them. It doesn't help that he is surrounded by an awful lot of very interesting characters (including the FCs themselves - which have a superb amount of depth).

If ound the old-school (nearly Tezuka-style) character designs to be weak initially, but they have grown on me since.

Advertisement