Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England Squad for NI and Wales.

• 28-08-2005 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Not suprisingly Calamity and Glen Johnson have been axed. While Stephen Warnock get a chance.
    Robert Green (Norwich City), Paul Robinson (Tottenham Hotspur), Chris Kirkland (West Bromwich Albion) .

Defenders:
    John Terry (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Matthew Upson (Birmingham City), Stephen Warnock (Liverpool), Phil Neville (Everton), Ashley Cole (Arsenal), Luke Young (Charlton Athletic)

Midfielders:
    Jermaine Jenas (Newcastle United), David Beckham (Real Madrid), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), Michael Carrick (Tottenham Hotspur), Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Kieran Richardson (Manchester United)

Forwards:
    Michael Owen (Real Madrid), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Darren Bent (Charlton (Athletic), Andrew Johnson (Crystal Palace)

Owen Hargreavous still in there somehow! Otherwise looks soild, all thats needed is for the manager to pick the right 11 in the correct positions :p

Mike.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

What has Mills done to lose his place? Best RB England have after Gary Neville as far as I'm concerned.

There's a few noticeable omissions there, mostly through injury though I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

all the strickers he has picked are small guys. I would have tought he might have thrown heskey in there as an alternative to 5 small strickers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Rooney's a pretty big guy, and a threat in the air, and has shown he can play the lone front man if that was what England do, but they don't do they don't really need that option.

David James?
    Is he dropped?
    Green in there, why not Martyn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I would have also have thought that Mills would be second choice to Neville. He is playing a vital role in a pretty solid City defence and has been for a year now, unless there was a falling out that Im not aware of. Given the man I wouldnt rule that out. There only options at RB are Carragher or P.Neville, neither of whom are ideal in the position.

Fair play to Warnock but its the perfect example of playing for a big club getting you a call up. Same goes for the reason Heskey is not there. Warnock has been solid enough but hardly inspired for Liverpool. And Heskey had his best season in years last year, and has started this campaign well, but he hasnt got a sniff of international football since he left Liverpool.

The strikers do lack a bit of height and power to be honest. While Rooney is a powerful little fellow, he cant really lead the line, and prefers to play deeper anyway.

Scott Parker deserves a place over the likes of Hargreaves, Richardson and even Carrick IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

its amazing that Martyn isn't in there. Probably the best / most consistent goalkeeper of his generation and he picks Kirkland over him...strange one since Kirkland hasn't had a run of more than 10 games in a row in like nearly 4 years or something!

• Advertisement

Im sure one of the Everton fans will be able to confirm this or not, but as far as I remember Martyn wasnt as sure as he once was last season. He made a few mistakes over the year.

Seeing as Robinson is now officially No.1 it would be a bit daft to take along a keeper that will turn 40 next year to sit on the bench. They would be better taking young keepers of equal (or almost) ability for the experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Fair play to Warnock but its the perfect example of playing for a big club getting you a call up. Same goes for the reason Heskey is not there. Warnock has been solid enough but hardly inspired for Liverpool. And Heskey had his best season in years last year, and has started this campaign well, but he hasnt got a sniff of international football since he left Liverpool.

Agreed.

Richardson a bit-part player at ManYoo in ahead of Downing, a first teamer at Boro?

Agreed.

Richardson a bit-part player at ManYoo in ahead of Downing, a first teamer at Boro?
    :eek:

I cant believe I forgot about Downing. He was amazing last year. A fantasy football managers dream!

Again perfect example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I remember before the Euro championships when there was talk of a possible Martyn call-up he said he'd only go if he was in Sven's plans, that he wasn't going to warm a bench for anyone. I agree with Jivin, it's better to look at prospects like Kirkland.
    As for players from the big teams getting picked, maybe it's to do with them being involved in more big games at club level, and showing that they can cope on the big stage.
    I don't see how you could argue with a Kieran Richardson call-up. England have been crying out for a left-sided solution, and the lad scored twice on his England debut in the summer.

Advertisement