Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought girlfriend bracelet - Broken.

Options
  • 29-08-2005 4:20am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Just over a month ago (15/07/05) I bought my girlfriend a bracelet at €65. It was €70 but after a bit of bargaining I got it cheaper. It was bough in a Jewellers called "Serano" 16 Broad St. Waterford. When I bought it I asked him about a guarantee and he said "its a tough piece of jewellery and wont break, keep the receipt and come back if you have any problems". She wore it less then 10 times since I bought it for her - as she didn't want to loose it or damage it as it was pricey enough. One day when she was wearing it she was putting on a jacket and the bracelet fell off. It was witness by my friends who claimed she was not rough with it and it just fell off her wrist when she put on the jumper. I brought it to a repair shop who told me one of the links which connects it is broke and wouldn't be worth repairing. She told me to go to the shop and get it replaced.

On visiting the shop he remembered me and told me that it was badly damaged and whoever wore it had been rough with it as it was a "tough piece of jewellery". He said he would have to send it back to the manufacturer who would decided what action to take and he said its not likely they will replace it, and if they don't, I cant and wont do anything. I told him I wanted to that and he requested I come back with the receipt. However, before I do so, legaly how do I stand? From what im aware of he cant refer me to the manufacturer can he?

I have the box it came in and the receipt. Id rather a replacement but would accept money back also.

All help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭_Turismo4

I’d go back with the receipt, and see what the manufacturers report is.
    Other then that, I don’t think you will have much luck from that guy.
    Alternatively, legally you can take him to the Small Claims Court and you should get your money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Be careful. AFAIK if you accept a repair you loose your right to refund or replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hagar wrote:
    Be careful. AFAIK if you accept a repair you loose your right to refund or replacement.

Would this apply to everything (a laptop for example?)

OP, your contract is with the retailer and not the manufacturer so it's up to them to deal with it/the manufacturer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I contacted the Consumer Information Centre;

I am legaly entitled to a refund/repair/replacement.
    I should not have been referred to the manufacturer - the contract is with him and his business with the manufactures is none of ours.
    However, accept the above but no longer then a week (no set guidelines but as a recommendation) should go by without any indication of a reply.
    If the manufacturer wont do anything, the seller should, if not, I am legaly entitled to bring him to the Small Claims Court.
    Note however: As it was a month before it broke and not two weeks the argument for "not merchantable quality" may be weekend and the chances of winning are 50/50.

So with all that in mind, I returned to the store to find a different person working. I told her I had been in earlier and requested a replacement/refund and was told to come back with the receipt. She offered both and I took a replacement. She "couldn't give me a new receipt" when I asked her so I asked her to put today's date on the old receipt and sign (never signed it, but I didn't mind and left her off). She wasn't Irish and wasn't to sure what to do and she probably guessed I wasn't going to leave without a fight!

So I got the same bracelet again for the gf, and again, she wont wear it only on special occasions! All ended well in the end - pity I cant see the look on your mans face when he hears I got the replacement!!

Thanks for your assitance anyway :) Appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I know its a mute point at this stage, but had you wanted a new reciept you should have taken the refund & just bought it again. Glad it worked out for you anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

skywalker wrote:
    I know its a mute point at this stage, but had you wanted a new reciept you should have taken the refund & just bought it again. Glad it worked out for you anyway.

Ah its not to much of a big deal, and thats just a lot of hassle!! Thanks for your suggestion tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

skywalker wrote:

Just a FYI Skywalker, the word is 'moot', not mute. Not trying to be smart, just doing my bit to improve the written word....

Is1ldur wrote:
    Just a FYI Skywalker, the word is 'moot', not mute. Not trying to be smart, just doing my bit to improve the written word....

Hmmm, google informs that your correct. Never knew that, learn something new every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

skywalker wrote:
    Hmmm, google informs that your correct. Never knew that, learn something new every day.
    google should inform that you're incorrect

sorry, just had to.

Lads are my grammatical errors really that interesting? Let it go at this stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement