Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Grub V Restaurant food

• 29-08-2005 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭

I had lunch in 'The Lotts' in Dublin yesterday. The food was of an outstanding standard - just as good as many restaurants around town and excellent service, only much cheaper as it's a bar.

I got to thinking that recently I have enjoyed 'pub grub' of a very high standard in quite a few places. Others that spring to mind is 'The Bank' and 'Ba Mizu'.

Unless it's a special occasion I think I'll take to pub grub for my meals out. Where are your favourites?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

It depends on the occasion really and what kind of atmosphere you want... Obviously a pub would have more of an informal vibe to it but sometimes it's nice to go all fancy like too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I have yet to experience pub grub that is up to the standard of a nice restaurant. Although it's rarely something I've thought about.

I'm going to take note of those places actually.

How much cheaper are we talking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭Doodah7

grimloch wrote:
    I have yet to experience pub grub that is up to the standard of a nice restaurant. Although it's rarely something I've thought about.

I'm going to take note of those places actually.

How much cheaper are we talking?
    :eek:

Most of my favourite food haunts are pubs that serve top notch food or the term I hate: gastropubs. Admittedly most of the best that I have tried are outside of Dublin.

Try the Ballymore Inn in Ballymore Eustace, Co. Kildare or The Derg Inn in Terryglass, Co. Tipp or the Lord Bagenal Inn in Bagnelstown, Co. Carlow for starters. You will NOT be disappointed with any of them. Indeed another one that springs to mind is The Oarsman in Carrick-on-Shannon. Another super gastropub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

TP Smith's near Jervis St Shopping Centre does great bar food, as does Grand Central on O Connel St, for those living in the capital. if it's a special occasion though, it has to be a restaurant. The sourroundings can be important too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I thought An Poitin Still, Rathcoole serves great pub food, occasionally i would go to The Dead Man's Inn, Lucan which also serves good food...

These are informal of course if you need a good restaurant Joel's, Newlands cross, Naas road is nice

If you want to splash out, my favourite would be L'Ecrivain restaurant, Baggot st....very expensive but you will be licking your lips afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Gonzolas

You need to get to Sinnotts on Stephens Green - top notch carvery dinner for €10

gazza22 wrote:

These are informal of course if you need a good restaurant Joel's, Newlands cross, Naas road is nice

Hadn't been to Joels in a couple of years, but popped in on a quiet Friday afternoon recently, wasn't gone on the food at all. :(

Bateman wrote:
    Hadn't been to Joels in a couple of years, but popped in on a quiet Friday afternoon recently, wasn't gone on the food at all. :(

I was there two weeks ago, had no problem with the food...i knew the old manager quite well, but now he's gone and the Fitzgerald group has taken over...i think they are doing a pretty good job, service and portions are better because they are trying to change joel's around

gazza22 wrote:
    I was there two weeks ago, had no problem with the food...i knew the old manager quite well, but now he's gone and the Fitzgerald group has taken over...i think they are doing a pretty good job, service and portions are better because they are trying to change joel's around

Hmn, I'll probably try it again tbh, as it's a handy location. Forget the name of the chicken dish I had, it was just tasteless though. I'll be giving it another shot soon anyway, probably.

Bateman wrote:
    Hmn, I'll probably try it again tbh, as it's a handy location. Forget the name of the chicken dish I had, it was just tasteless though. I'll be giving it another shot soon anyway, probably.

If your a real meat person go for the Steak Fillet, it's new to the menu...i never really eat meat but i made an exception when i tasted this...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Galvo

I find pub food is more variable than restaurant food, but when you find a good one, it's much better value. I keep an eye out in food magazines. I was in the Biddy Early Brewery in Clare last week - they have a new restaurant and the food was excellent. Washed down by a lovely honey beer brewed on the premises too - "proper" restaurants can't beat that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Price-wise I'm talking sub 15 for a main course and nearer the 10 mark. Some pubs lie in a grey area. I had a steak in the Clarendon recently and good as it was, two glasses of wine took the cost over 30 euro. But it does have more of a formal restaurant atmo.

Someone mentioned The Ballymore Inn - I think that really constitutes a restaurant as it's tacked on to a pub. Very good nonetheless.

The meal I had in The Lotts at the weekend was oyster marinated beef salad. It was huge and beautifully cooked. 11.50. A great bottle of wine can be had there for well under 20 euro - which these days is very reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Tazz T wrote:
    Price-wise I'm talking sub 15 for a main course and nearer the 10 mark. Some pubs lie in a grey area. I had a steak in the Clarendon recently and good as it was, two glasses of wine took the cost over 30 euro. But it does have more of a formal restaurant atmo.

That's a pretty big difference tbh. A meal out in a restaurant might well cost more than double/treble that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Obviously depends where you go but a main course in a quality restaurant on average comes in about the 25 mark I would guestimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Gonzolas wrote:
    You need to get to Sinnotts on Stephens Green - top notch carvery dinner for €10

In terms of carvery i find it hard to beat O'Neills on Suffolk Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

The Round O in Navan does great "pub-grub" ... don't like the carvery though!!

Another decent carvery is the Spawell on Sundays, massive helpings.

Advertisement