Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Entering the motor trade

Options
  • 29-08-2005 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hey I was just wondering what a person needs to become a car dealer? Do you have to be registered and have a trading license or is it just go out there and try and make it work?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To my knowledge you don't need anything apart but proper insurance, public liability, etc. You can also get a dealer insurance policy to drive multiple vehicles.
    Contact the SIMI also to get more technical advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

If you wish to deal in imported cars, you need to register with the Revenue in order to get a 'dealer number'.

You would also need to be VAT-registered, and have a premises (i.e. be paying commercial council rates, in order to obtain Trade Plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If you mean small-time, I have a couple of friends who buy totally standard cars locally and sell them on for about 2-300euro profit. Not bad when your shifting 4-5 cars a week!

They are average soaps like you and I, no company, no VAT. Just people buying a car, advertising it sell and selling it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The tax man will love you! Audit! Ahem!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If your selling privately, they have nothing on you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

JohnCleary wrote:
    If you mean small-time, I have a couple of friends who buy totally standard cars locally and sell them on for about 2-300euro profit. Not bad when your shifting 4-5 cars a week!

They are average soaps like you and I, no company, no VAT. Just people buying a car, advertising it sell and selling it on!

Does that not put an extra owner on the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Know a few guys who do that - they "save" the seller the bother of sending in the change of ownership form and leave the purchaser's name blank pending sale to the new owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dilbert75 wrote:
    Know a few guys who do that - they "save" the seller the bother of sending in the change of ownership form and leave the purchaser's name blank pending sale to the new owner.

Wouldnt fancy that if i was selling a ca. Your leaving yourself very open to tickets/points/fines etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Stekelly wrote:
    Wouldnt fancy that if i was selling a ca. Your leaving yourself very open to tickets/points/fines etc.

I was thinking that

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

JohnCleary wrote:
    If your selling privately, they have nothing on you
    Yes and no. Income on gain in the sale of depreciating chattels are not normally taxable, however if you are doing a steady trade, that might be another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

"chattels" ???

I read that in the UK you are only allowed to sell c.6 cars a year before you have to register for tax/VAT.

Advertisement