Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

voip phone

• 29-08-2005 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

can anyone recomend a good voip phone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Don't know anything about ip phones, sorry. Why not get an ATA and connect a normal phone to it. I found this to be a better solution as I bought a DECT station and two phones, and they are all working through the VOIP. Sipura 3000 is a great model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 WLM

Hi

Non tech here looking for a steer
    Have the normal phone line in the house which I never use. My wife calls her parents abroad daily. Bottom line I think its bad value and I'm looking at options. Is it feasible to remove the eircom land line altogether and install bb from NTL. Then use skype or gizmo for voip calls. My wife's parents are pretty savy so I reckon they would be up for getting bb in their house also?

Any assist appreciated.
    WLM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Make sure you can get NTL first. If you can have a look at www.blueface.ie you can even get your Eircom number ported accross so people can call you. I used it to replace my landline and would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

I'd go with Blueface all the way. Have it up and running with a while, and just today set up another man with a linksys ata thingy. It's the way to go.

Get the NTL in first, then port your number to Blueface, then and only then, terminate your Eircom line. You say your wifes parents would be up for getting broadband, they could do that if they want to avail of VOIP, but it wont matter to you, or your calls whether they have it or not. If you go with Blueface that is........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

If her parents get a Blueface account you can call each other for free, as calls between Blueface customers are free.

I would also recommend the NTL broadband and an ATA (I have the Linksys PAP2) and you can connect you existing phone or a DECT phone so no need for a VOIP phone.

They also have very good customer service.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

nava wrote:
    I would also recommend the NTL broadband and an ATA (I have the Linksys PAP2) and you can connect you existing phone or a DECT phone so no need for a VOIP phone.
    Probably better off going with a router that has built-in VoIP; rather than buying a router and an ATA.

causal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

causal wrote:
    Probably better off going with a router that has built-in VoIP; rather than buying a router and an ATA.

causal

Hi cusal

Good point, I agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

Just recieved my Linksys WRT54GP2 ATA/Router/wifi from blueface yesterday. Hooked it up to the modem and pluged in my standard phone, checked to see if I could use the phone and it was working! :eek:

I didn't even need to turn on the PC. If you have NTL BB you should get rid of your phone line and use this, the quality is excellent. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 WLM

nava wrote:
    If her parents get a Blueface account you can call each other for free, as calls between Blueface customers are free.

They also have very good customer service.

Regards

Great stuff lads, cheers.
    Whats an ATA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

An ATA adpator allows you to use your current phone instead of having to buy an expensive VOIP phone.

Check out this link for an animated example of an ATA adpator and an IP phone.

http://www.blueface.ie/support/support.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i dont have a landline, so would need a voip phone, there's a couple on ebay, but they range in price.

dont wanna pay the earth, but dont want a piece of crap either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

An ATA plugs into your internet connection not phone line. It is probably hte best option for VOIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i have no phone line, and no phone....

there's these 2 on ebay, they seem like an ok price, one's a little more expensive, prob cause its got an lcd display, do they look ok?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/SKYPE-PHONE-USB-LCD-VOIP-IP-UK-SELLER-3-P-P_W0QQitemZ5236679745QQcategoryZ11682QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ie/SKYPE-Phone-USB-Voip-Ip-3-UK-P-P-Genuine-UK-Seller_W0QQitemZ5236702917QQcategoryZ11682QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

paperclip wrote:
    i dont have a landline, so would need a voip phone
    Fortunately that's not the case :)
    Essentially you want voice over broadband, there are 3 options:
    - USB headset (or mic+speakers) to use with a computer + softphone (or IM with VoIP)
    - IP phone
    - ATA + normal telephone

Which of those to choose depends on your individual requirements.

hth,
    causal

Advertisement