Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Looking for dog to buy in Wicklow/dublin/kildare

Options
  • 29-08-2005 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi
    We're looking to buy a West Highland Terrier pup from a reputable small breeder. It's more important to us that the dog be healthy and that we see the parents in their home environment than it be pure pedigree etc. If anyone knows of someone who has one and would be willing to tell me where it was bought or even better knows someone with a litter of pups on the way I'd be so grateful.
    I've tried the IKC - they just gave me th phone no of the Westies Assoc Sec who said he had a waiting list of 30 people looking for pups of show quality.
    He was not giving out breeders names.
    We don't want to show the dog , just give it a loving home.
    I've tried the Buyand Sell and was put off by some of the people advertising there - I have a horror or puppy farms and don't know where to turn to now. I've tried local vets too.
    Word of mouth or referral would be best so, please, can anyone help us?
    Thanks all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Mina Loy

Goffie wrote:
    Hi
    We're looking to buy a West Highland Terrier pup from a reputable small breeder. It's more important to us that the dog be healthy and that we see the parents in their home environment than it be pure pedigree etc. If anyone knows of someone who has one and would be willing to tell me where it was bought or even better knows someone with a litter of pups on the way I'd be so grateful.
    I've tried the IKC - they just gave me th phone no of the Westies Assoc Sec who said he had a waiting list of 30 people looking for pups of show quality.
    He was not giving out breeders names.
    We don't want to show the dog , just give it a loving home.
    I've tried the Buyand Sell and was put off by some of the people advertising there - I have a horror or puppy farms and don't know where to turn to now. I've tried local vets too.
    Word of mouth or referral would be best so, please, can anyone help us?
    Thanks all

whatever you do DO NOT get one from that woman who breeds them who lives on the curragh.. i cant remember exactly where it is but she offered my mum a job there (used to work in kennels) and my mam came home crying because of the way she keeps them...that was 5 years ago, it's still in the same condition ( people i know went to look for themselves recently).. we reported her and everything but **** all has been done about it.

I have no idea.. have you ever been to paws in sallins? lovely dogs there..not purebreds by any chance but theyre in desperate need of homes ..it's kinda sad to go there but happy too cuz you get a kickass happy little dog out of it :) it's where we got ours! they neuter em all too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

Thanks Mina
    I was actually offered a pup by that woman in the curragh but I just felt there was something dodgy and went with my instinct - so glad I did! She was asking €400 for the last male of the litter and seemed very eager to sell.
    I've also been warned off a kennels in Kildangan by the Westie rescue group - got a lot of good advice there and they're going to ask around for a reputable breeder. Trouble is they never get pups and my husband seriously wants a brand new pup that's all his.
    Men are such children.
    We really want a Westie as it just seems it would be the dog for us, we don't have a big back garden and having researched a lot of breeds over a few months this is what we agreed on.
    I couldn't go to a rescue and not come away without a dog! And I'm afraid it might be the wrong dog for us or we'd be wrong for him. I'm not bothered, as I said, about pedigree so much.
    Maybe someone else knows of someone who knows of someone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

Just to update you all - we got our Westie!

Very good caring breeder in Wexford who turned out to be good friends with my aunt!

Lovely set-up, papers in order, gorgeous friendly parent dogs and our little guy is just like them!
    So thanks for the advice, it was a great help and we were very lucky and very happy with the new boss of the house who's loved to bits!
    Cheers
    Goffie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Mina Loy

:D Yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 trevford321

My Mother is a breeder of westies and her Dog has just had 9 dogs 6 wks old today but she is in Southport UK but someone from the isle of man is coming over for 1,they KC registered,hope this helps.We can e,amail photos.

• Advertisement
Advertisement