Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old £1 note

• 29-08-2005 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭

The parents were going through some stuff at home and found an old £1 note It's not the green one that was around before the £1 coin It's brown with an English king Henry 5th or some one like that It's from about the 1900's or there about
    Any idea how much this would be worth? Not that thery're selling it but just to know

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Could it be George the 5th?If the note is in pristine,uncirculated condition its probably worth about ten quid.If its damaged and worn as it probably is its worth somewhere between nothing and about a fiver!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

Degsy wrote:
    Could it be George the 5th?

Now you say it I think that's it Was just wondering about it
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Ok, this sounds like a British Treasury note issued between 1917 and 1928. This was the currency used to replace Gold sovereigns and Half Sovereigns during World War One, and this was the full time, fully secure, forgery resistant colour design, bearing in mind that the earlier 10/- and £1 notes were uniface (printed on one side only), very plain (Red on white 10/-) and (Black and White £1) respectively. Colour was quite rare on English Banknotes until the 1950's, with the exception of the Scottish and Northern Irish series.

Is the signature on the note John Bradbury, or Warren Fisher. The note is likely to be undated, what is the serial code?

Does the note state "The United Kingdom or Great Britain and Ireland" (1917 to 1921) OR the later post Irish independence "The United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland", which is the caption between 1921 and 1928

You have found a relatively scarce note, although they are no means impossible to buy, I hardly see one on ebay, which gives a good idea of how few there are. Without looking, I'll hazard a blind guess of AT LEAST between £15 and £40. They can go as high as £90-£100. If you want to get a scan up and I'll give you more information. I very much doubt that its mint. If it is, your on to something good. Oh, mint means ATM crisp, no crinkles, nothing, even a cashiers count bounce qualifies as circulated condition and detracts from a note.

dermo88 wrote:
    Does the note state "The United Kingdom or Great Britain and Ireland" (1917 to 1921) OR the later post Irish independence "The United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland", which is the caption between 1921 and 1928

It says "Great Britain & Ireland"
    I'll try to get the pic up soon
    Thanks again

Nice one. Thats the John Bradbury signature. Up it goes to £50 at least with that one.

• Advertisement

That's the one alright See that one's going for £41 at the moment The parents one is a bit on the used side though.
    Thanks for ths info.

And with the use of the phrase "A bit on the used side", I'll ram the price down to between £20.00 and £30.00.

Advertisement