Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old number to new SIM?

• 29-08-2005 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Having problems with my phone, I'm a Meteor Pay-As-You-Go customer. I don't know whether the problems (crackling and bizarre lapses of coverage with regard to texts, sometimes held up for days) are hardware or SIM related, so want to replace both. I don't qualify for a Meteor upgrade kit, but will buy a cheap phone from a Meteor shop during the week. Rather than replacing the new SIM with my existing one, is there any way I can get my new number transferred across to the new SIM, and just bin both my existing phone and card?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Most other network providers can do it so I doubt Meteor will be any different. Give them a ring or drop into one of their retail stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you can't port within a network as far as i know. buy an o2 sim pack for a tenner, port to it, then port back to metor the next day. you get ten euro free credit on the new sim so if you want you could use that up before porting back. there's probably an easier way but that will work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

tbh the probs are very unlikely to be the sim card. its only a memory device.

it doesn't actually do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Go into the shop and tell them you want a new sim. Tell them you lost your old one, your dog ate it, you don't like the colour, whatever. They may charge you about e10 for the SIM, depending.

I know when I was on Vodafone they just gave me my new one without issues.

ciaranfo wrote:
    Go into the shop and tell them you want a new sim. Tell them you lost your old one, your dog ate it, you don't like the colour, whatever. They may charge you about e10 for the SIM, depending.

I know when I was on Vodafone they just gave me my new one without issues.

you can get a replacement sim for free but im assuming the problem is he wants to buy a new phone and get the free credit onto his own number. in theory the only way to do it is an upgrade but the way i suggested will work too

• Advertisement

themole wrote:
    tbh the probs are very unlikely to be the sim card. its only a memory device.

it doesn't actually do anything.

i work in a phone shop. faulty sims are quite common

i work in a phone shop. faulty sims are quite common

piont taken.

but faulty how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Could be scratched, just old.
    They're not indestructible you know!

but the probs he is describing:

(crackling and bizarre lapses of coverage with regard to texts, sometimes held up for days)

are more than the sim "not working", thats what i mean.

of course the sim my just not work, but how would a sim "not working" cause these kinds of problems?

i think those sorts of probs are a lot more likely to be casued by the phone.

anyway, how old is the sim? for some newer phones you would need a new sim anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Ended up buying the bargain basement Meteor pay-as-you-go and put my old SIM in. The crackling is gone, at least, we'll see about the text problems. Now I've got to figure out what to do with this new SIM and the €10 call credit I was promised!

• Advertisement

ionapaul wrote:
    we'll see about the text problems.

text probs are usually a network problem.

it has happened a few times to me where a text arrives a day late, on vodafone network.

good luck anyway

Advertisement