Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Tea] Your lapsang souchong experiences

• 29-08-2005 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

I had my first cup of Lapsang Souchong last night and I'm afraid to say that it didn't appeal to me all that much. It seemed to taste overly smoky and reminded me of smoked salmon, which was off-putting in a tea! Then again, it is apparently an acquired taste and I find the smell of the tea leaves themselves very enjoyable. So, I'm wondering if other people here have had negative initial responses too. Please share them!

I might try another cup later on, but less strong this time. I'll keep ye posted!

Linky for those who haven't a clue what I'm on about!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've quite liked Lapsang souchong ever since I tried it. *Shrug*

I had an unpleasent experience though with Pu-erh tea, a red one that comes with the leaves wrapped in a tight little ball.

When I was brewing it, it smelled unmistakeably like fish, which was rather offputting, and the tea itself didn't taste great. It may have been because the fishy smell was foremost in my mind. I might try it again sometime and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Interesting. I'm trying it again tonight after dinner - I'm determined to break this tea, goddamit!

Never had Pu-erh - but I'll look out for it even if it's just to say I've tried it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

My second tasting...

I am doing my best to disassociate the smell of burnt wood from my memories of eating smoked salmon. I suspect this may have contributed to my negative reaction the last time.

I will make myself a light cup of lapsang souchong this time and will not add any milk (that was probably a bad idea the last time too - silly ingrained habit of always putting milk in black tea!)

Well, here goes...

/takes sip cautiously...

hmm... much better this time. Excluding milk was a good idea. Oooh, it is verry nice! Although I have to wait for it to cool down a bit more, I think it's thumbs up time!

Strange but nice!

Advertisement