Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucan - is traffic really that bad?

Options
  • 29-08-2005 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can advise on moving to Lucan.

Our house is up for sale at the mo & we've pulled out of a house we had a deposit down on due to various different reasons.

I've had a look at various different houses in Lucan that look lovely, but everyone says we'd be mad to move there because of the traffic & that it'll get much worse when Adamstown is complete.

How bad is bad? I currently drive from Tallaght (Citywest end) to Dublin 4 every day & it takes about 45 mins in the summer & maybe an hour in the winter.. Would it take way longer if we went to Lucan?

So fed up with looking at this stage - everythings out of our price region..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭asto

I live in Lucan and traffic isnt that bad except for rush hour, you could get to th city centre in 25 minutes, what is the estate called cause there are a few rough spots,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

It was really rush hour I was talking about. I'm in work for 8.30 & finish up at 4.30, so have been told it will take ages to get home in the evenings.
    Much as I want a lovely house, I don't wanna spend my days in traffic.
    I got a car earlier this year, because I was sick of sitting in traffic on 2 buses to & from work, so I don't really want to go back to that!

Hadn't really decided - there are some lovely ones on myhome.ie in loads of different estates. One place I was looking in was Foxborough, because my friend just bought there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

its really bad goin thhru the village at them times alright but i think from foxborough u would be better off coming thru the back off clondalkin even if there was no traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

City Centre about 25-30 mins by car in rush hour from the "new" estates (Foxborough Included).

Bus route is pretty good too and there is also a private bus company that runs the route as well..

I've lived around here for 5 years - no real traffic complaints.

F

Oh, thats not too bad at all. I was thinking that thats the best route anyway - used to live in Clondalkin..
    I was imagining it was gonna take me 1.5 hrs to get home everyday the way everyone was talking... Don't mind an hour ish, but don't wanna be spending much more than that in the car.. Wouldn't get to enjoy the house, if I spent all my evenings in the car...
    Any suggestions on nice estates / estates to avoid - here are the ones on myhome.ie in the price range we can afford:

Earlsfort Vale / Road
    Griffeen Glen Avenue
    Foxborough Grove / Drive / Court
    Finnstown Abbey
    Liffey Close
    Colthurst Mews
    Esker Meadow Court
    Rochfort Park
    Abbey Dale Crescent

• Advertisement

Earlsfort Vale / Road
    maybe, nice enough
    Griffeen Glen Avenue
    yes, Very nice
    NO, too Rough
    Finnstown Abbey
    maybe, nice enough
    Liffey Close
    maybe, nice Enough
    Colthurst Mews
    Yes, nice
    Esker Meadow Court
    Deffinate Yes, Excellent, very nice estate
    Rochfort Park
    Yes, Nice estate
    Abbey Dale Crescent
    yes, nice enough

any more questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭AndyWarhol

asto wrote:
    Earlsfort Vale / Road
    maybe, nice enough
    Griffeen Glen Avenue
    yes, Very nice
    NO, too Rough
    Finnstown Abbey
    maybe, nice enough
    Liffey Close
    maybe, nice Enough
    Colthurst Mews
    Yes, nice
    Esker Meadow Court
    Deffinate Yes, Excellent, very nice estate
    Rochfort Park
    Yes, Nice estate
    Abbey Dale Crescent
    yes, nice enough

any more questions

Ah yes! Middle class suburban snobbery. Nothing like it!

I take it you're from 'Rochfort Park' or 'Griffeen Glen Avenue' or somewhere?

Thanks for all the info given.. Anymore help anyone has is gratefully received.

We've a few viewings lined up in Blessington & surrounding areas, but might give Lucan a shot too - some really nice places for sale.

AndyWarhol wrote:
    Ah yes! Middle class suburban snobbery. Nothing like it!

I take it you're from 'Rochfort Park' or 'Griffeen Glen Avenue' or somewhere?

Im sorry but im actually from Willsbrook and i have lived in Lucan for years,
    I was justt trying to help someone out, giving him some advice, and i dont like people like YOU dissing me for no reason at all, I would appreciate an apology. thanks
    p.s where abouts are you from your self

• Registered Users Posts: 14,192 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

have to agree with foxborough being a bit rough, traffic i suppose aint too bad, i travel on the bus so wouldnt know how long it would take by car - but dont think it could take any more than 35mins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭AndyWarhol

asto wrote:
    Im sorry but im actually from Willsbrook and i have lived in Lucan for years,
    I was justt trying to help someone out, giving him some advice, and i dont like people like YOU dissing me for no reason at all, I would appreciate an apology. thanks
    p.s where abouts are you from your self

Oh Willsbrook? How nice. I'm from Dublin too. I'm sorry if you took offence to my remarks.

no problem its all good

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Fionn23ie

Hi, I bought in Foxborough 5 years ago and I have never experienced any trouble - not sure what these people would describe as "rough". On occasions, during the summer, a few kids hang out around the shop on Foxborough Road but they don't cause anyone hassle. There is also a very good residents committee and in particular a very good maintenance committee who keep the estate looking very well. I have often left my car open during the night and also my front door unlocked with no adverse consequences!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,192 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Fionn23ie wrote:
    On occasions, during the summer, a few kids hang out around the shop on Foxborough Road but they don't cause anyone hassle

it seems to be any everyday thing now, although it has to be said it is an excellent shop
    Fionn23ie wrote:
    I have often left my car open during the night and also my front door unlocked with no adverse consequences!!!

i wouldnt do that no matter where i live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 timamansio

I used to live in Foxborough too and didn't find it rough at all - in fact I had a great bunch of neighbours.

However, the traffic was something else (that's why I moved!) - I too had to get to work in leafy D4 (Ballsbridge to be exact) and the thing that drove me mad was you wouldn't know from one day to the next how long it would take to get there! Sometimes it'd take 45 minutes but on other days (e.g. if there was an accident anywhere en route or if it was, ehm, raining) it could take an hour and a half. And there was no pattern - you could never say Mondays are better, or what have you. I'm sure Adamstown will exacerbate the traffic problem (particularly if they don't get the railway sorted before the houses go up). Getting home was slightly more consistent - used to take the guts of an hour although one day, because of some disaster(?) that happened around Kilmainham, it took me almost three hours to get home. Now that I've moved I can walk into work in 25 minutes!

Oh, I should say that when I was travelling to/from Lucan I was driving and not on public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭kranog

Hi everyone...
    I just bought in Rochfort Way and I'm having a little trouble with the kids hanging around my house in the evenings...
    If I'm there, they are no trouble at all...other than just hanging around my property, which is annoying.
    But if I'm not there and my girlfriend is on her own and she asks them to move along, she gets hurled lots of abuse from them.
    Does anyone know if Rochfort has a residence commitee or indeed, any solutions to this problem.
    Being the new family on the street, I'd rather we all just got along as opposed start things off with any drama!
    Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I think you'd be better off starting a new thread than resurrecting one that's 5 years old. Anyway, why not call into your neighbours on either side as a start off point? You're a hell of a lot more likely to get information there than on here on this one when you find someone who's been living there for a while.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement