Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What type of Dance music are you in to?

• 29-08-2005 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

alright the other useless poll was a bit of a put off for ever putting up a poll again, but with so many different tastes on this forum i'm really curious to see who likes what?

I'm a techno man myself, i know loobz is, Giles likes his house (from what i've picked up anyway!) but what do the rest of ye like??

You can choose MULTIPLE CHOICES in the poll, cause i know everyone likes more than 1 type.

Whats your taste? 130 votes

Techno
    0%
    Trance - Prog / Psy / Uplifting
    14%
    Cake Fiendchern0byltmanrabbitinlightsAltheusStickyMcGintyBloodBathweak infantJivin TurkeyBarrieKevIRLScubadevilsSparkyCrazySkasur_1_nuagejsrthe dice manangelbabyGregeri 19 votes
    House - Deep / Funky / Progressive
    11%
    Da BouncaBricournionitman[Deleted User]Chucky the treeStephen PBarriemcgovernchorus techyScubadevilsmathiegrimsbymattUnknownjsr 15 votes
    House - Hard
    18%
    Cake FiendDa BouncaZascarKolodnyAnimaBrichern0byltmanrabbitinlights[Deleted User]SelikStickyMcGintySuprSinapalm@nightweak infantJivin TurkeyStephen PBarriefidohScubadevils 24 votes
    Electro
    4%
    cournionitmanAltheusBarriejsrangelbaby 6 votes
    Leftfield - Experimental / Electronic
    15%
    Cake FiendJimi-SpandexAnimachern0byltmanrabbitinlights[Deleted User]AltheusStickyMcGintyweak infantJivin TurkeyStephen PScubadevilsCrazySkaJoey Shabadoosur_1_nuagejsrthe dice manGregeriacman 20 votes
    BreakBeat
    11%
    Cake FiendJimi-SpandexDa BouncaAnimachern0byltmanrabbitinlights[Deleted User]AltheusJohnBarrieWavioliScubadevilsjsrthe dice man 15 votes
    Drum & Bass
    10%
    Cake FiendJimi-SpandextmanrabbitinlightsJoeSchmoeweak infantfidohScubadevilsgrimsbymattsur_1_nuagejsrthe dice manGregeri 13 votes
    Hip-Hop / R&B
    10%
    Cake FiendExecutive SteveAnimacournionitmanAltheusBarriejimi_tScubadevilsCrazySkagrimsbymattjsrangelbaby 13 votes
    Pop Trance - Commercial Trance
    3%
    Jimi-SpandexBritmanBarrieScubadevils 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭sur_1_nuage

Drum & Bass
    voted! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Hip-Hop / R&B
    Nice idea Vinny.

Isn't there a pole where you can see what people voted for?. Might be a bit more helpful to new people etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Anima wrote:
    Nice idea Vinny.

Isn't there a pole where you can see what people voted for?. Might be a bit more helpful to new people etc.

yea if you click on the number of votes it shows you who voted for each genre... tis pretty cool actually, lookin forward to seeing who likes what round these parts

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

All really but hard house and commercial trance, so many years into dance etc I have a fondness for most genres :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I didn't vote as there was no option there for Old Skool House and Rave that is my fav type of musik :confused:

• Advertisement

jonny68 wrote:
    I didn't vote as there was no option there for Old Skool House and Rave that is my fav type of musik :confused:

theres no new productions for that genre, so i didnt include it

i knew house and techno would be up there, but gooo on electro!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Hip-Hop / R&B
    VinnyL wrote:

you'd be surprised, there's a fair few labels still putting out oldschool breakbeat rave over in the uk, it kind of crosses over into new school breaks but with more of the trad old school sounds in it, the production on them just tends to be a little bit too "crisp" compared to all the old classic 'ardkore "made in 2 minutes" kind of tunes that tended to be made by a couple of ex football hooligans off there faces messing about with a bunch of equipment they didnt quite know how to use and with no real thought to boring limiting things like "how is a dj ever gonna mix this"

and of course electro is gonna be big on here, it's geek music and this is the internet! also it got fierce trendy about three years ago and people don't really move with the times.....

Hip-Hop / R&B
    and what about uk garage? broken beat? dubstep? hardcore? gabber? etc...

and what about uk garage? broken beat? dubstep? hardcore? gabber? etc...

only 10 options allowed on the poll, to be honest i put up hard house and pop trance with the hope no one would vote for them, but there still popular enough around the place :D

gabba is covered under techno anyway, break beats in kinda electro, hardcore i dont think is popular enough to put it in the 10 and i thought dubstep was a kinda reggae?!

tyranny, your a hard man to please! i'd say your girlfriend has it tough ;)

Hip-Hop / R&B
    naaah dubstep is more like really grimy serious uk garage with really diy production values and more of an emphasis on really distorted sick sounding basslines, here's a recent ish mix for you:::

1 dusk + blackdown ‘keysound radio intro’
    2 kode 9 + spaceape ‘ghost town’
    3 random trio productions ‘indian stomp’
    4 pinch ‘qawwali’
    5 skream ‘sweetz’
    6 dusk + blackdown ‘submerge’
    7 blackdown ‘crackle blues’
    8 digital mystikz ‘creeper’
    9 kode 9 + spaceape ‘correction’
    10 blackdown ‘keysound pirate radio refix’
    11 roll deep entourage ‘me’
    12 target + riko ‘hands up’
    13 blackdown v crazy titch ‘dis/east v sing-a-long’
    14 roll deep entourage ‘ground zero vox’
    15 loefah v nasty crew ‘lightz se25 dub’
    16 plasticman ‘funeral vibez’
    17 lethal b ‘hitman’
    18 dusk + blackdown ‘drenched’
    19 blackdown ‘the danger line’
    20 loefah ‘root’
    21 blackdown ‘zgk’
    22 digital mystikz ‘forgive’
    23 dizzee rascal ft. breeze and flowdan ‘win’

http://www.lilo.net/~martin/dusk_blackdown_keysound_radio.mp3

dubstep and grime arent quite the same thing, grime is the more mc-led stuff with the simpler beats and the less industrial sound to it... both are about 138bpm, and are all but impossible to get your hands on outside of london. most of the big tunes even only come out on ridiculously small runs of vinyl... i know of one guy who flew over to london specifically to buy some dubstep tunes... he walks into this shop he's heard of, and the guy behind the counter looks at him and goes "sorry mate, it's not for you"!

as for hardcore/gabber/speedcore/deathcore etc sure the people who are into that in this country live in tents and hiaces and don't use the internet cos its a tool of capitalist opression or something so feck them!

breaks should probably still be its own category though, even if it's just uk garage with all the interesting bits left out.... was listeing to the Zed Bias "sound of the pirates" compilation on Locked On on the way to work this morning, there's bugger all people into garage in this country [and garage as it was about five years ago is well diffferent to the stuff around nowadays anyway] but i know of about three or four heads who play it and play it out, think it sort of splintered into about three otr four totally different genres since though... even the original key players are trying to disassociate themselves from the "teen guncrime" image of teh scene by renaming it "bassline house" - the rest have either gone off into 4hero style nu-jazz / broken beat / west london breaks or are into their grime or have gone back to drum and bass whence a lot of them came originally anyway....

happy hardcore is dead, although i understand that what they call "hard dance is pretty much one and the same thing played and made by most of the same people, incidentaly, do you know what kind of music they put in the second room of all the big gabber raves over in holland? - yes that's right, somehting nice and mellow and funky for all the girls and the tired older heads... hard f*ucking house!!!! in a chillout room!

and i'm sure my girlfriend will tell you i'm fierce easy to please, all i need is a flagon of devil's bit, a ten-spot and big pair of speakers!

• Advertisement

and i'm sure my girlfriend will tell you i'm fierce easy to please, all i need is a flagon of devil's bit, a ten-spot and big pair of speakers!

my kinda guy!

i'll give that mix a whirl, anyone who wants any techno live sets, check out the best sets thread sticky, tell me which ones you want and i'll throw them up for ye

Hip-Hop / R&B
    groovy! anything dancehall / drum and bass / old school related just let me know and i can do likewise!

might go and bump the "recommend drum and bass" thread come to thik of it... seen a good few tasty thingies floating around the last week or two! Temper-D three deck studio mix :slayer:

never got in to the whole D&B thing, was at a BassBin night once didnt fancy it at all at all! stroked a few savage bassbin poster though!! he he he

tyranny, you go to techno nights around dublin?

Hip-Hop / R&B
    yes and no... i run the upstairs [drum and bass] room at compression, and i lived with wong sai hung until qite recently and i'd know a fair few of the heads you'd see playing round and about the place, i do like and appreciate techno an awful lot, but it drives my mrs up the wall, she's a bit more of a drum and bass snob than i am lol....

used to be in switch every tuesday without fail back in the damage days, and then the techno.ie days, until it really started to die... i remember jumping about the place in there one night when i was one of only like 5 people who actually paid in.... that was a few weeks before the whole place got locked down :( also techno gigs in the kitchen and the music centre and the funnel etc...

i think the last time i went to a non compression techno gig was... jesus... speedy j and mike paradinas at the music centre a few years back lol... thats dating me a bit!

i would buy the odd techno record if i won the lotto, but it's bloody hard work staying upfront enough in one genre, and every techno record you buy is a drum and bass tune you'll regret not having one day... wish drum and bass came out with two tunes to a side though, techno is much better value that way! i like mixing the odd bit of techno if its someone elses records, especially the really loopy stuff or the drumcode type stuff - you can do so much with the records no matter where in teh mix you are and its not going to sound out of context, drum and bass you're mixing more like a cross between hip hop and house, lots of fast cuts but also lots of long slow blends depending on whats happening with the tune... different styles, different approaches!

i guess what i've always lijked about techno was that it was dance music that was funky and hard and futuristic but also had a real emotional sense of history and culture, although i don't think everybody else might agree with me, reading up on all the early crew over in detroit and the way they saw the world is pretty interesting stuff....

do you post on clubbing-ie.com? i'm executive steve on there...

no i only really post on novadance and bodytonic, i'm mcginty over in them parts

speedy j? not a bad last techno gig to be at i tells ye! you should wander down to EC some thursday though if ye aint workin, music is great but what ye gotta love is the culture, knowing and meeting new techno lads everyweek, talkin to the EC and Collective is always great crack at the nights out! you sohuld really hit the Collective gigs in the vaults, theres usually 3 rooms (techno, prog, everything) last one i was at was one of the best gigs i was at crack wise, see what you were missin: Bailey at the Vaults

Cant see myself gettin in to D&B though, just not my scene, only time i was nearly persuaded to was when some Dunboyne lads i met at a techno night were goin on about it big time!

my bird doesnt even like dance, she'd prefer if i was dancein to usher with me hand down the front of me pants like every other eejit out there!

to anyone who hasnt been to electric city though.... start now! Roman Flugel this thursday, a night not to be missed! and only 8 quid in too

Hip-Hop / R&B
    yeah i keep telling simon conway i'll make it down next week... two years later and still no luck lol! really gutted i missed surgeon last weekend though, always wanted to see him live.... was he any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

VinnyL wrote:
    hardcore i dont think is popular enough to put it in the 10
    i dunno. it seems to be getting fairly popular these days. (especially if you count freeform/hardstyle as hardcore...)
    tis all ****e to me though

crackin gig tyranny.... check out the review

www.skkatter.net

Hip-Hop / R&B
    there's a picture of me on that site somewhere he he he...

were?? do tell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

VinnyL wrote:

Im afraid your wrong there are many new productions for those genres maybe because they are so underground you wouldn't know about them,anyway it's just a poll anfd all styles should be included.

i had a look around before i put options in the poll, your only allowed 10 topics anyway, i reckon i covered the top 10 there anyway! cant include them all!

Hip-Hop / R&B
    VinnyL wrote:
    were?? do tell!

miller2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Joey Shabadoo

Electro is my jam but I like techno, breaks and d&b too.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

Hip-Hop / R&B
    D & B cant be beat for a mad night out but i would nt listen to it on a sunday afternoon. nice bit of ambient or NOW for chill out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭jsr

Hip-Hop / R&B
    Im an anything but a 4, 4 beat head myself, unless Im out then Im an anything at all kinda guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

House - Hard
    I voted for house if course but I like alot of other stuff as well and it be fair I only really caught the house bug in the last two years or so. I hold 12ten and Bodytonic personally responsible for that! :D

I was more into techno and D'n'B before and Psy-trance. I still like these genres particularly the minimal techno stuff. I'm not mad about horsin techno these days at all I'm afraid...

Anyway, good tunes are good tunes simple as so I don't really like getting bogged down in the whole genre thing

p.s. I really hate hard house/trance though I have to say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

House - Hard
    miller2.jpg

:p

Hey Steve was this in Traffic on Sunday after the Creation rave at Donabate last year?

Apparently I was there for a while on my way home (eventually)... Don't remember myself but you can't argue with photographic evidence!

Jesus that was some session one of my fav ever raves I think!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Hip-Hop / R&B
    I like "intelligent" Drum and Bass (LTJ Bukem, Squarepusher) and am a massive aphex twin fan. Like my more obscure dance - Amon Tobin for example - and my jazzy/jazz-step stuff (Some Roni Size, Spacek). Asides from that I like a lot of the more original old skool stuff (i.e. no ebenezeer goode, LFO...more like Acen or early Prodigy).

• Advertisement

Hip-Hop / R&B
    Giles wrote:
    :p

Hey Steve was this in Traffic on Sunday after the Creation rave at Donabate last year?

Apparently I was there for a while on my way home (eventually)... Don't remember myself but you can't argue with photographic evidence!

Jesus that was some session one of my fav ever raves I think!!!

that's the one! traffic after a marathom malahide road session post donabate.... ended up leaving to go to some session over in stoney batter and your man CRAAAAZY mark Intent was running around in tears for some reason....

messssed up weekend....

very good rave, not THE best ever, but up there... met mrs steve at the one after that one [and got to play] so have to give props to that night too... not forgwetting the "more-hardcore-than-thou" three day crusty ketamine forest binges in random woodlands in tipperary.. strictly for the headstrong....

i'm too old even to go to electric picninc stuff anymore though.... jesus....

Hip-Hop / R&B
    jimi_t wrote:
    I like "intelligent" Drum and Bass (LTJ Bukem, Squarepusher)

stupidest sub genre name EVER...

utterly meaningless journo drivel made up to backpedal from the fact that every single music writer on the planet had spent the first three years of the ninieties dissing hardcore and breakbeat music and as soon as the general public twigged that there might actually be something fresh innovative and redeeming going on had to change tack to say that what they were now praising was somehow different from what they'd been slagging all along...

Bukem's notoriously shady business practices and the fact that he hasn't had an original idea since the late nineties mean that he's basically a relic... sooo many classic tunes came off that label in the mid to late nineties, its just gone pear shaped since then, all the best producers left his label.

his jazz funk compilations on his "cookin'" label are worth a listen though if you like that sort of thing.

squarepusher i wouldn't call drum and bass at all, more like someone who built a career playing with certain stylistic conventions and structural ideas that he got from drum and bass... in all fairness i'd rather listen to an early bizzy b or remarc tune than a squarepusher tune, because it sounds equally [if not more] messed up, but it's vital, ful of energy, and made for the social context of the dancefloor. both were pivotal influenes on squarepusher, who i will admit has gone on and developed into something an awful lot more than he started off as [a stoned crusty who took his bass into the dj box to hide the fact that he basically couldn't mix to save his life]

Advertisement