Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MP3 player

Options
  • 29-08-2005 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Anyone know the name of the new MP3 player device. Cant remember if it was discussed here or on any other boards. You download songs onto a cartridge which you place into the boot of your car and it plays through the radio.

Think its only out for Audi and VW at the moment

Cant rem the name :-(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

It's called a boggo-standardo mp3 player interfaced with a €15 wireless FM transmitter™ (Belkin or other)... and then you watch Beemer drivers paying through the nose for a proprietary built-in system that may not be DRM-compliant, with a condescending smile :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

ambro25 wrote:
    €15 wireless FM transmitter[/i]™ (Belkin or other)
    Unfortunately illegal in this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah I've heard the guards are about to really clamp down on it

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Really? Since when?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Here's what you looking for:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=293910

He was being sarcastic Bond...

• Advertisement

testicle wrote:

My boards.ie supersenses detect a smidgin' of envy or anal retentiveness (need to fine tune my sensors further, to be sure) :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

testicle wrote:

why? it is some anti competitive law against taking over the frequency of a radio station for 20 feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ando wrote:
    why? it is some anti competitive law against taking over the frequency of a radio station for 20 feet?

No. Its to do with broadcastign music and needing a license to do so.

ando wrote:

Nah - I'm surmising 'ole testicle is probably referring to the fact that I'm not paying any tax as applied by the Revenue Commissioner on the 20 cubic feett of thin air whithin which my transmitter broadcasts, and in doing so I'm defo defrauding the good law-abiding citizens of the Republic...

...though I am paying my TV license monthly, note :D

EDIT - see, Stekelly beat me to it :rolleyes:... tuning supersenses now... yep, definitely anal retentiveness! :D

Perhaps I should let the RC tax me some €millions for my impish behaviour, to help finance the transport budget overruns, eh? :D

Jaysus lads iv never seen such over analysing of sombody stating a fact, im not sure who is analy retentive but I dont think its testicle :rolleyes:

They are illegal here because you need a licence or an exemtion to broadcast a radio signal. The FM band is restricted. You should also probably be paying to broadcast the music but I don't know much about that. They may also break EU law.

In reality your not going to get caught or interfere with others radio listening pleasure (signal is way too weak). For the same reason they arn't great. DOnt get me wrong they are grand and defintly better then nothing but if you can hardwire do, sound quailty is much better.

THe PhatBox/Phatnoise, IPod cables etc are grat because you can control them off the head unit. Its a pain in the ass to change albums, play list and somtimes songs on the player its self.

My tunecast II is as good as iv seen on the FM transmitter front but still requires regular retuning as your drive around the country.

• Advertisement

The point of it is: so it's illegal? so f*cking what! just another example of Statutes/Regimen lagging light-years behind technology (and more importantly, adoption of technology by consumers)...

The OP's wanting to know some specifics about automotive mp3 playing technology (-brand specific, and yes I know there's another thread in the Forum wherein the system in question is much better described etc.).

I'm making a quick quip about how such tech is now being advertised by car manufacturers as a special 'lifestyle' feature (BMW springs to mind), no doubt attracting

(1) a hefty premium (about €1k mentioned in the other thread :eek:) and

(2) hey-what-do-you-know: extra VRT!

... when technology is already available off-the-shelf, plug-&-play, for pennies (granted, not controllable from the head unit - but when I see how many people drive around in Dublin while texting/dialling/speaking on mobile, I can't imagine operating their mp3 player to be particularly difficult ;) ).

But, of course, someone just felt compelled to mention that such solutions are illegal... :rolleyes:

So, I'll take it well (it's a quip to my quip after all ;) ) - but with a pinch of sarcasm if I may: I'd rather be illegally listening to my legal mp3s for €50 all-in (player+transmitter), than doing it legally for €1k :D - what would your choice be and would you not recommend the 'illegal' solution to a friend looking to solve the problem him-/herself?

Jaysus... we're hardly peddling Class-A drugs or robbing Post Offices at gun point!

ambro m8, search the board for fm transmitter. Every thread, ever, about it mentions they are illeagal because its somthing you should know about them before you try get one.

Now look back over the thread and look at your massive over reaction to sombody simply stating a fact in one simple line that wasn't having a go at you...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

meeeeoowww .. lets not have a scrap over who said what lads.

Rew wrote:
    ambro m8, search the board for fm transmitter. Every thread, ever, about it mentions they are illeagal because its somthing you should know about them before you try get one.

I wouldn't quite call it an over-reaction (you ain't seen me angry, nor are you ever gonna on a public Forum :D ).

I've contributed in a few of these threads you mention - no need for a search.

As for the rest, and with respect - whatever, Rew mate

Since it is obviously the done thing to constantly reiterate, in each and every thread it is mentionned, that something as inconsequential as the FM transmitter in question is illegal, and contribute not much at all by way of doing so (since it is in every thread in which it is mentioned - you'd think people would know without having to) - that's the last I shall ever mention about such inexpensive, RipOff-circumventing devices, and leave well-meaning people to fatten up mainstealers and the VRO people some more, and well - that's that, really.

Off in another part of the Forum to discuss those firearms and recreational substances I've been obtaining as well... :D

Hey wait - quick question - so the little fm transmitters you buy on EBay are illegal. What about iTrips? Do they have a transmitter too?

I have a cd player in my car. Its a Renault Megane Coupe - so its built into the dash - trying to rig up an mp3 player - without a mitter I don't know what other option I have. Sorry for hijacking this thread - but looks like those here might have some good advice.

P.S - sorry about the last post - it was my cat

not replying :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

Do a search on the net for an mStation it's by Traxdata as far as I can remember it's a proper mp3 harddrive set up for the car..

bubby wrote:
    Hey wait - quick question - so the little fm transmitters you buy on EBay are illegal. What about iTrips? Do they have a transmitter too?

iTrips are FM transnitters but only work with IPods. A few shops in Ireland used to sell em but they wer told to stop, there was a thread about it a while back.

iTrip uses special tracks on your iPod that are the frequencys for the iTrip so you have to be carefull not to do a "play all" on the ipod or else it can do funny things when it hits those. Easily avoided with play lists or just playing specfic albums.

You need to get out more Andrew and stop playing with your Ipod ..

Still playing little boy racer? Have you guys started wearing helmets in the cars yet to make you feel more like the real thing yet? I thought it was a bit uncool for you to be seen over here with us?

;)

• Advertisement

Whats this little boy racer thing ? The Biggest one of them in world works with you ;) I had to sell the Evo over him .. It does feel a bit nerdy over here but my low profile works over here ..

I don't work there anymore Ted (at least not since today). Im on the market so to speak ;) Doin some work for him back down that way at some point soon though, u can show me your new debadged Loopo then...

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Can somebody lock this?

hmmmm sombody wants to be a mod... ;)

Were finished now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ambro25 wrote:
    It's called a boggo-standardo mp3 player interfaced with a €15 wireless FM transmitter™ (Belkin or other)... and then you watch Beemer drivers paying through the nose for a proprietary built-in system that may not be DRM-compliant, with a condescending smile :D

LOL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

if you want to talk about whats illegal and what isnt, please start another thread somewhere on it.

if there is anymore information to be gained from this thread, please feel free to post it up, otherwise stop with the wise cracks

I was getting going into a good Rew and Junior love in there ...

Anyways I mentioned the mStation somewhere earlier in the thread, well this is the current version of it ..http://www.ssiamerica.com/ or you can try here http://www.6thplanet.com/

Ciao

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I just got an FM trasmitter from Ebay and I have to say it was well worth it. I was messing about at lunch and it was trasmitting fine for about 150meters! not bad for £0.99

Had a look at that Traxdata thing - they aren't overly generous with info on the setup. All I could find was a couple of reviews about what it does - nothing solid.

• Advertisement

The Phatboxes are worth a look as well if your looking at the Traxdata.

Advertisement