Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decompression error

Options
  • 21-06-1999 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

Trying to install Netscape 4.6 on my PC, (i have 4.51 atm), I get an error at the Install Shield Self-Extracting Exe bit - at 90% or so, it halts with an error saying 'deompression failed at %s - there may not be enough free space in a TEMP directory'

My C drive has around 250 megs free, and the temp dir itself consists of 40 megs or more whenever I check it - virtual mem is on D drive which has 9 gigs free atm. I tried deleting all contents of the temp file - still no joy.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ahh i know the problem.
    what you have to do is buy a new pc, and give me all your old hardware.

either that or just use good ol ie5 smile.gif

and how dare you laugh at my dog!
    sinnots, 9ish wednesday evening. you comin for a pint or wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I shall most likely be there. I didnt even see this dog on Friday night (that I remember). But you gotta admit what Nog posted was funny smile.gif

Thanks for yr help on my problem too tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

This is a problem with InstallShield. It's a well known problem for anyone who uses the product in the programming sense *cough*

I just can't remember the solution. smile.gif

Go to support.installshield.com there is a knowledge base, do a search for your error.

I think it was a problem with the _setup.lib not being able to be found once uncompressed or wasn't loose in the kit.

Here is something to help you on your way. (sob of URL is too big to url it)

http://support.installshield.com/kb/default.asp?action=Display&documents_id=1018&productname=&category=&code=&documentnumber=Q100885&selectp roductname=&selectcategory=&selectkeyword=&documentnumber2=&old_document_number=&rn_descriptor=&contents=TEMP%20directory&org=search&da te_published=1/1/90

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 22-06-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

that happend to me a while back, deleting everything in the temp dir worked. But i do find that some self-extracting exe's (netscape in particular) refuse to behave themselves no matter what i do, its probably just corrupt or somthing.

And if you do have ie5, get rid of it. Thats probably whats causing your grief.

Advertisement