Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A3 2002 erratic fuel gauge when cold

Options
  • 29-08-2005 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I have a 2002 audi a3 1.9tdi, and when I start it up first thing in the morning when its cold the fuel gauge does 1 of 3 things. It either reads empty and fuel warning light comes on, reads full or moves over and back rapidly in a window wiper manner. All of the above behaviours stop when the car warms up and a correct reading of the fuel is then given.

Any ideas of whats causing this or a solution?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

AFAIK there's a fuel temperature gauge in the tank as well as the sender unit for the fuel level. Where are you located mate? PM me if you're able to get to D15 and I'll scan the instrument cluster for you. There might be an error code pointing straight to the dodgy sensor, intermittent loose connector etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

It could be the dash panel voltage regulator, usual source of intermittent scatty readings, or more likley a loose\corroded\damp connection at the tank end of the fuel level sensor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 bannerinDublin

murphaph: Thanks for the offer but im very busy with work for the next couple of weeks. I might give you a shout then if thats ok?

stratos: Yes that was my theory also. I was checking the fuses over the weekend and all are good but what i realised was that in the morning when I start up the car and for instance the fuel gauge reads empty, if i plug out the fuse for the instrument cluster and plug it back in then the gauge give a correct reading instantly.

My gut feeling is its a problem with the fule sender unit in the tank but the fuse test i did has confused me a little now.

murphaph: Would your scan be able to detect whether its a fuse or connection problem or a knackered fuel sensor?

Thanks for all your help guys, I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

murphaph: Would your scan be able to detect whether its a fuse or connection problem or a knackered fuel sensor?
    To be honest I never know what's going to show up on a VAG-COM scan! Hopefully it'll point to something directly or something we can google and someone else has had that error code and wrote about the fix. If it's a loose connection it will record an 'intermittent' fault. The thing about pulling and replacing the fuse sounds very weird. I have a factory repair manual for the B5 passat and I think there my still be parts (ie error codes) in common that can be checked there. There's a wealth of info on VAG-COM error codes on the net-you just need to get the code out of the car! The instrument cluster can be tested (the needles all move to set positions and all the leds and lcds come on).

Advertisement