Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Collina retires

• 29-08-2005 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

ROME, Aug 29 (Reuters) - Pierluigi Collina, the famous bald official who took charge of the 2002 World Cup final between Brazil and Germany, has called time on his career after quitting the Italian Association of Referees (AIA) on Monday.

Collina had been accused by the AIA of a conflict of interest after he accepted an 800,000 euros ($985,900) per year sponsorship deal from carmakers Opel, who also back AC Milan.

"After 28 years I've decided to hand in my resignation to AIA," Collina was quoted as saying by the Italian news agency ANSA.

"I can't help it. People must believe in a referee. In the end, we have all lost out," he told a news conference in his home town of Viareggio.

Collina's decision to quit brought to an end a career that turned him into one of the most recognisable figures in world football.

With his loping stride and pop-eyed stare, the Italian enjoyed a reputation for quick, accurate decision-making.

Collina possessed an authoritarian streak that won the respect of players, coaches and fans.

Had it not been for the intervention of the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) at the end of last season, Collina would already have been in retirement.

He turned 45 in February, the age at which referees are obliged to hang up their whistles, but the FIGC changed the rules to give him one more year in the job.

SPECIAL TALENT

It was a recognition of his special talent.

Five times voted World Referee of the Year, Collina's finest hour came when he took charge of the 2002 World Cup final.

He also directed a string of high-profile matches like Manchester United's dramatic 2-1 win over Bayern Munich in the 1999 Champions League final and England's 5-1 hammering of Germany in a World Cup qualifier in 2001.

Collina enjoyed the perks of fame, including modelling designer clothes, advertising fried octopus and cheese and even appearing in cartoon form in the video to the George Michael single Shoot the Dog.

His book, The Rules of the Game, became one of the best-selling tomes written about the referee's craft.

What now lies ahead for the Italian is uncertain. The vice-chairman of the English Football Association, David Dein, has spoken in the past about luring him to work in the Premier League.

On Monday, however, a visibly emotional Collina gave no hint of his future plans and appeared stung that his spotless career should end with his credibility being brought into doubt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I bet Everton wish he'd made that decision last week!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'd say Everton regret this hadn't happened two weeks ago.

As a huge fan of his I'm sorry to see his career come to an end. I can truly say I've never seen him have a bad game (I didn't see the Everton match... ;) ) and I know that whenever I heard he was to officiate a match that I used to look forward to a good contest, refereed fairly and consistenly.

I have to question his wisdom in accepting a personal sponsorship deal from Opel though, how he thought he could get away with it without his integrity being called into question is beyond me.
    "After 28 years I've decided to hand in my resignation to AIA," Collina was quoted as saying by the Italian news agency ANSA.

"I can't help it. People must believe in a referee. In the end, we have all lost out," he told a news conference in his home town of Viareggio.

Indeed.

:(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It's a shame but I think it's probably for the best. I think his fame was getting in the way of his refereeing a bit, and was losing his sharpness a little. The Everton game and Chelsea - Barcelona were two examples of games where he got major decisions wrong recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

All the best Collina ! Brilliant Ref IMO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

He should become a referee coach , he's experience could be invaluable to any other ref in the world . He's the only ref I can remember to go through whole games getting every decision right and not having any handbags or stuff like that .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

he has always impressed me anytime i have seen him and its a pity his career has to end like this. if this is actually the end of his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Collina had been accused by the AIA of a conflict of interest after he accepted an 800,000 euros ($985,900) per year sponsorship deal from carmakers Opel, who also back AC Milan.

stupid ****ing Italian ref association. there loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

how come all Englih refs weren't banned for being sponsored by Fly Emirates at the same time as Chelski?

As Everton fan, I'm glad he's been chucked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Good ref, did better than most just got recognised for it.

Bit stupid to take that job tho.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

He has a track record of coinciding with every crunch game involving England over the past few years, and a track record of giving England dodgy decisions. He was way over-rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

he is only a twat

cost everton 30 more mins against south american scums villarreal....

leave him off...... :D

red card infact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

kaids wrote:
    It's a shame but I think it's probably for the best. I think his fame was getting in the way of his refereeing a bit, and was losing his sharpness a little.
    Agreed. I don't think his fame helps him much at all, he becomes under pressure to get every decision right, especially in big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

he is only a twat

cost everton 30 more mins against south american scums villarreal....

leave him off...... :D

red card infact.

No speakie the English? Or incomprehensible through the foaming mouth?

Advertisement