Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6th yr......*cries*

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

And are the teachers really serious about the 10 hours study on the weekends? I'd explode if i did that much!
    10 hours study at weekends in the month coming up to your leaving cert, yes. But if you try to do that much now, you will burn yourself out! What I'd recommend for the beginning of sixth year is to pay attention in class, do all your homework and if you miss anything make sure you catch up. It is advisable to start studying now with a set routine - such as come in from school, study until dinner, and then keep working until 8.30 or something. You need to be flexible though, study timetables just do not work! Also, I found that the best form of study is past papers. If you are familiar with the layouts of each paper and have practised as many questions as you can, you will have no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

one day down....nine months to go....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Yeah im starting to get a little apprehensive about it all. Not nervous about exams just the fact that its going to be a stressful year. But my philosphy is that we are going to have to do it anyway no matter what, so we might as well do it with a positive attitude and try to get something out of it.

I'm pretty sure that I will be in this forum alot during the year so I look forward to getting to know you all :)

CrimE wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that I will be in this forum alot during the year so I look forward to getting to know you all :)

me too...i'll be on when i'm trying to avoid all that studying lol!! :D

looking forward to getting to know everyone too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

me too...i'll be on when i'm trying to avoid all that studying lol!! :D

looking forward to getting to know everyone too!!!

me three! :p I dont start back for another week and a half! My biggest distraction will be this computer sitting on my "study desk" in my room!! AGHH!! :eek: i swear last year when i was supposed to be working i just chatted to my friends on MSN!! oops!! lets hope ill have more discipline this year :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

d4gurl wrote:
    me three! :p I dont start back for another week and a half! My biggest distraction will be this computer sitting on my "study desk" in my room!! AGHH!! :eek: i swear last year when i was supposed to be working i just chatted to my friends on MSN!! oops!! lets hope ill have more discipline this year :rolleyes:
    omg thats the exact same as me!!!

guys...we were told 2day that there's 166 days to the leaving!!!!! talk about trying to freak us out!!

You going to the tute d4gurl?? my friend goes there and he's not bk till the 15th r something

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

good aul' interent, sitting there, giving us all an excuse not to work :D im back tomorrow :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ahh shurrup complainin yiz lucky sods! :p 6th year is the best year, everyone says it, and ya never believe them, but you always come to realise it yourselves! Enjoy it, it's great to see barriers and cliques breaking down a bit, everyone knows everyone, there's a real sense of camaradary(sp?) in general. Enjoy it, and don't be worrying about the studying for ages! Just get ready, get your notes in folders and that, so that when you want to start studyin, you can just go, "right, english-poetry-yeats-september 1913 -- DEADLY!!!" rather than when you decide to start studyin, you spend months findin all the crap you lost, lol! Enjoy it really, it's great!

BTW, Yeats rocks, 'nuf said! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

The year has finally come about time :rolleyes:
    Im not dreading going back at all.Im feeling better about it.I also did fourth year so i learned alot and it wasnt a doss either.It was a "3year leaving cert programe".Mentally im now prepared for it but i know there is work to do.Oh well :rolleyes:

If anyone is dreading going back think of it this way,its your last year in school so make the most of it because i will.

barrie..yeah i feel the same way! i did 4th year too and matured and all that sh*t! tomorrow is the first day of classes for me even tho i'm off at 12!! a couple of my friends got homework today and one irish class have a test on tues...its all coming a bit too soon for my liking tho!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

guys...we were told 2day that there's 166 days to the leaving!!!!! talk about trying to freak us out!!

You going to the tute d4gurl?? my friend goes there and he's not bk till the 15th r something

166 school days there's really much more than that.

I'm not in till the 15th and although I'm repeating I can't wait to go back...didn't want to leave school in the first place.

mp1972 wrote:
    166 school days there's really much more than that.

I'm not in till the 15th and although I'm repeating I can't wait to go back...didn't want to leave school in the first place.
    yeah i just worked it out and like 166 days is like way too little...sure 30 times 9 is 270...stupid bollix of a teacher!!!! lol

u'd know i woz doing pass maths tho....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Fortunately I don't start 6th until Friday, so back to school for one day then the whole weekend to recover. Damn 6th year is gonna annoy me.

Im back thursday but i got my timetable Monday.Over the 5 timetables i had this one seems to be the best.Theres alot more study classes and i finish early on friday :D \o/

Yes I'm going to the institute!! I'm kinda regretting it! I think its because I'm jealous because everybody is back to school and I'm stuck at home waiting for the 15th to roll around!! I'm sick of waiting!! Have fun tomorrow in school!lol! You can think of me having my lie in and then waking up around 12 pm and watching some quality crap on the telly!! ok thats just mean :p I'd much rather be in school beleive it or not!! I'm over this summer although it was the best its just way to anti climatic!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Starting 6th year in... 40 minutes. Wayhey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

starting 6th year tomorrow...anyone else feeling slightly apprehensive of this coming year???

any ex-leaving certers with advice for us???

Best year I had in school without doubt.

My only tip is dont listen to the people who are either telling you they are doing No Study/ or the one who are telling you theyre doing six hours a night.

Only worry about yourself.

wow....my 2nd day of 6th year and this is what i've come out with.....

-a biology test friday
    -an english question (minimum 2 pages) for friday
    -irish comprehension (jst to read tho)
    -french comprehension (read&answer) and a paragraph to learn on racism

and i finished school today at 11:30!!!!!!

tlk about being thrown in at the deep end

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

wow....my 2nd day of 6th year and this is what i've come out with.....

-a biology test friday
    -an english question (minimum 2 pages) for friday
    -irish comprehension (jst to read tho)
    -french comprehension (read&answer) and a paragraph to learn on racism

and i finished school today at 11:30!!!!!!

tlk about being thrown in at the deep end
    ^ :eek:
    You are making me very nervous about going in on Friday even if its only for a half day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I went back today, don't worry about it. It's grand.

For some unknown reason I'm in a mood for work and I'm not my usual bitter self cursing obsceneties at the mere mention of schoolwork.

• Advertisement

grimloch wrote:
    I went back today, don't worry about it. It's grand.

For some unknown reason I'm in a mood for work and I'm not my usual bitter self cursing obsceneties at the mere mention of schoolwork.
    thats just because ur all motivated after the summer to study and work!!!! me too...i'm just hoping it will last!!!

highly motivated me has just started preparing my english comparative study essay style question...and i might even write it tonight too....:D

Yeah had my first day of 6th today and found out ill be having an english exam every monday for the entire year and have to stay back 15 mins to do the exams :eek:

Had fun with the lads and stuff so overall not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

You're all doing what!? I'm still in the summer frame of mind; as long as its sunny out I cannot get into the frame of mind of school & homework!

highly motivated me has just started preparing my english comparative study essay style question...and i might even write it tonight too....:D

I highly doubt I'm that motivated tbh.

I wasn't overly lazy during the Summer so going back to school isn't all that much of a shock to the system.

In the hope of maintaining the momentum I'd say going into after school study is a good idea so that I don't lapse into laziness.

I could never do and wont ever do after school study. I can study grand at home so I prefer that to being stuck in school longer and probably just dossing instead of studying.. :rolleyes:

CrimE wrote:
    I could never do and wont ever do after school study. I can study grand at home so I prefer that to being stuck in school longer and probably just dossing instead of studying.. :rolleyes:

Oh the dossing I get up to at home is unbelievable. I'll be in my room and I'll read my books instead of school books, look through my wardrobe in case something interesting is there, I might clean - generally anything that will delay and procastinate and take up time that isn't studying.

Combine that with a loud dog, a phone ringing on schedule every fifteen minutes, eejits calling to the front door pimping their wares. Not an ideal surrounding at all.

School study is a great enviroment pour moi, a library would suffice too but I'd prefer not to lose any momentum I might have while I'm in the right frame of mind.

Haha yeah I can see what you mean luckily I live in my converted attic so a locked door gives me a cool place to study. I think though ill have to start keeping my pc off when I study though because msn and random surfing tends to distract me a bit...

CrimE wrote:
    Haha yeah I can see what you mean luckily I live in my converted attic so a locked door gives me a cool place to study. I think though ill have to start keeping my pc off when I study though because msn and random surfing tends to distract me a bit...

So lucky i always wanted to move up to the attic :(

Barrie wrote:
    So lucky i always wanted to move up to the attic :(

me to! my brother took it tho! :mad: :mad: msn is evil!! i tell u!!my mum is threatning to cut of my internet connection!!aghh wat will i do! :eek: god forbid ill actually have to study! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

In my room I have books, a banjo, a ukulele and two guitars. Its absolutely awful. Last year I had a ritual before doing my homework, just to get the messing out of my system; I'd go for a ****e and read a good chunk of a book in there, go in and play one or several instruments, lie down on my bed for a few minutes (for some reason sitting down and playing guitar tires me out??) and then hop over to my desk and go for it.

Once I get going I'm alright, but jesus do I procrastinate

Advertisement