Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3rd Year

• 29-08-2005 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Anyone else going into JC year??

We'll get to take over this Forum! Mwah Ha Ha!!!!

I'm starting back tomorrow. I'm not worried *yet* 'bout the JC and I hoped I don't get worked up about it but just work for it.
    It's just the fact of going back to school that I'm dreading!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

We'll get to take over this Forum! Mwah Ha Ha!!!!

Lucky you! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Pah!

We will never leave!

NEVER!

*sees attractive object over there*
    Or perhaps...
    *strokes goatee*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

It's not the JC I'm worried about. What am I saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Good luck with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

OP, back to school tomorrow? I'm back no the 12th, hate that! :D

Good luck this year btw, don't get too worked up over it.

OP, do you know a feller named Paul O' Dwyer?

(Hangman thread... n' stuff)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

I'm going into 3rd year on Thursday, dreading the JC, oh well, there's not much I can do about it

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

Thank God I am finished it :D. I hated it all. Thats just me though. And some of my teachers are real *******. But good luck to you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

*strokes goatee*
    lol a girl with a goatee :p interesting

• Advertisement

I didn't specify to whom the goatee was attached.

Though it'd be interesting if I DID have a goatee.
    Perhaps I do.

One will never find out if one does not go to a gathering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

Well I think it would be pretty interesting if someone else allowed you to stroke their goatee as if it were your own...

Anyway, I'm finished 3rd year MWAHahaha! To all you third years! But don't worry, I had some of the best fun in third year, so it's not like you have no spare time. (Although that might have been just me and my lack of studying...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Strokesa

OOOOOOO did anything ever happen about the 4th year forum???

No...

You could try support the secondary school forum...

Support the secondary school forum!

Sorry I know that's not on topic so... Third year is in secondary school so...

Yeah. The JC is fine. On my french paper there was a formal letter for the first time in 14 years. So you see, they can throw things at you but ultimately it doesn't matter! still, work hard in 3rd year. No one wants to be sad about their grades on results night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

kawaii wrote:
    OP, do you know a feller named Paul O' Dwyer?

(Hangman thread... n' stuff)

Yup, I know him.

I hate being back!! All the teachers have talked about working off the past papers for the year and to study for mocks and stuff. I'm not worried, I just hate being back into it all again! I got h/w today and I had a half day yesterday and today!

You friends with him, ya? He's stopped going to my school so I haven't seen him in a whiles...(even though his house is only a twenty minute walk from mine...)

Have you been talking to him at all?

/me hi's btw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lou*

Well I started 3rd year today the day went by pritty fast unbelievably! :D I got some cool teachers for the year, sept my CSPE teacher (not naming anyone) but she is a bit on the scary side :( but there is nothing I can do about it! I already know what subjects iam sooo gonna fale!

Just wait for tomorrow to find more new teachers (oh yay) lol :rolleyes:

Lou* wrote:
    Well I started 3rd year today the day went by pritty fast unbelievably! :D I got some cool teachers for the year, sept my CSPE teacher (not naming anyone) but she is a bit on the scary side :( but there is nothing I can do about it! I already know what subjects iam sooo gonna fale!

Just wait for tomorrow to find more new teachers (oh yay) lol :rolleyes:

Don't worry about CSPE at all...

It was a complete and total doss... :)

and my only A...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

kawaii wrote:
    Don't worry about CSPE at all...

It was a complete and total doss... :)

and my only A...

Too true. Finished it in 35 mins and got an A. Ridiculous, tbh.

Solitaryman666: Just since you seem to be in the spelling correction mood, it's you're. You. Are. 'Your' indicates possessive.

</pendantry>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

OH! and lets not forget "your" first day, rather than "you". lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Rozabeez wrote:
    let's not forget.

I like this game! :D

lol yeah! evey1 is gr8 a gramr (don't ask) :p

{Solitaryman}
    but you can have a funny teacher and also put lots of hard work into their class!

Ya, I don't see how it's a bad thing for a teacher to use an entertaining technique of teaching...

It doesn't mean you're not learning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Yeah, I had the best teacher in first year, who sung for us and played the ukulele (sp?) when all of us had our books, but we still learnt more in that one year than we did in the next two with another teacher.(Am I wrong, Mysteryfish? No. No I am not.)

Also, to join in on the Solitaryman666 correcting, when you used quotation marks in your last paragraph you never ended them. That is all (for now) Oh wait, I just read the whole sentence again, it doesn't make sense. Read it, and you'll see why. (Sorry for being so patronising) (That was a lie, I'm not really sorry, but I am)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Flashling wrote:
    ukulele (sp?)
    Correct. "Ukelele" is also an accepted variant. Now you know.

Proofreading is fun. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Oh yes, I spellcheck my posts....Did you know that at the moment, your sig. says "Hef, the secret of women"? I don't know why that cracks me up, maybe because it makes you sound like a "femine hygiene product", as they are known in SPHE...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

SM666, your last post made me smile. :)

no when i say "cool" teachers I mean teachers sense of humor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

I thought havin a fun teacher was good, and it was but when it came to exam time i realised we didn't do much during the years. Lucky it wasn't a really important subject, i'd have been pooped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

guys dont worry bout the jc...its the easiest thing u'll ever do! all i did was learn an irish essay and it came up! *phew* lol :D seriously tho, dont get too worked up about it..i got 4 A's, 5B's and a C all in honours! its SIMPLE! and oh yeah...CSPE is a guaranteed A

Of course the Juniour Cert isn't hard! They're unlikely to test you on anything you haven't done so if you pay a bit of attention and have some cop on you'll fly through it.

that said, I haven't done mine yet....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Jammy

Yeah I'm going into the JC uhhh *shivers* I know it's probably not that hard in the end, I'd rather not be doing it.

Also, I was going through 1st and 2nd year grand in History, thinking man this isn't too bad, the teacher is good. Untill I realised that were like a half a year behind in the course. Im just started third year and we just started doing the Reformation. Apperently that was supposed to be done in second year!!!

Is anyone else doing it in Irish?

don't worry about being behind in history. My friends had a poor teacher for the JC who was very behind for all 3 years but she could still handle the exam. So long as you put in some effort yourself you'll be fine.

Oh and Flash is right about that teacher. Man, he was so damn great! So you CAN have a cool teacher and learn! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Jammy wrote:
    Im just started third year and we just started doing the Reformation.
    That's very late for the reformation, i smell a sudden rush to finish the course :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Jammy

Tell me about it.

It's a good thing my mum and dad are history teachers. They said they might do a class a week with me, to hurry things along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

My class didn't even finish the course before the JC..

Wait, there was a point here...but it's lost as I probably failed history.

Umm, study if you're looking for high points in the LC and whatnot, I can't say I studied until the night before each exam, but I'm happy enough with that, if I had been going for all A's I'd have studied, but I wasn't.

Shoot as high as you need imho.

My main aim is get high points in my LC so I want to do well in French, German, Science, History and Music (and of course the core subjects too) for my JC so I'll have a good foundation for the LC. The other subjects I'll work at but not take too seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Diarmsquid wrote:
    That's very late for the reformation, i smell a sudden rush to finish the course :rolleyes:
    I finished the course by about the end of first year, by myself.

Piste wrote:
    Of course the Juniour Cert isn't hard! They're unlikely to test you on anything you haven't done so if you pay a bit of attention and have some cop on you'll fly through it.

that said, I haven't done mine yet....
    Time can also be a crucial factor and some subjects are crucial in that respect. It's not all easy, some things are some things arent. In this early stage you also don't really know till you have seen the papers and done the mocks. Don't get cocky :p

But good luck, you will need it ;)

Piste wrote:
    My main aim is get high points in my LC so I want to do well in French, German, Science, History and Music (and of course the core subjects too) for my JC so I'll have a good foundation for the LC. The other subjects I'll work at but not take too seriously.

btw you should ideally work at all subjects equally (except for CSPE lol :p) because you dont know what difficulties those subjects could pose later on for the LC and you might find it handy to have an alternative incase some happen to be beyond you for LC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Went into 3rd year this year..

Junior Cert...!!ARRGGHHH..ah well.....thats life..

Jakkass wrote:
    It's not all easy, some things are some things arent. In this early stage you also don't really know till you have seen the papers and done the mocks. Don't get cocky :p

But good luck, you will need it ;)

I never said it was easy, I said they'll not test you on something that's not covered in the course so it wont be too hard if you know what you're doing. The hardest is bending to material learned to suit the question asked. I have seen past papers, since First Year my school have given us JC questions/ a JC paper in our Christmas and Summer exams so I'm well familiar with the layout and format of the Junior Cert.
    Jakkass wrote:
    btw you should ideally work at all subjects equally (except for CSPE lol :p) because you dont know what difficulties those subjects could pose later on for the LC and you might find it handy to have an alternative incase some happen to be beyond you for LC

Why devote time to working hard at a subject, say, Geography I've no intention of continuing for LC when I could be working towards obtaining a greater fluency in French which I'm almost certain I'll continue for LC?. It makes far more sense to work harder for subjects I will actually need high marks in than subjects I will be finished for good in nine months time. As for them being beyond me for LC, if I work at them fro JC they wont be beyond me at all.

Piste wrote:
    Why devote time to working hard at a subject, say, Geography I've no intention of continuing for LC when I could be working towards obtaining a greater fluency in French which I'm almost certain I'll continue for LC?. It makes far more sense to work harder for subjects I will actually need high marks in than subjects I will be finished for good in nine months time. As for them being beyond me for LC, if I work at them fro JC they wont be beyond me at all.
    buddy i didnt mean it like that. I mean that you may discover that the LC course for a particular subject is difficult. So its always good to have alternatives so ideally you should work at them all not just the ones you are interested in. LC is way different than JC im just advising ya to be careful on a advisory note :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

So, the TYs in your school got their results today.. How did that make you feel? Some girls in my year cried in anticipation of the 4th years getting their results even when they didn't know any of them personally!

The teachers kept saying 'that's you next year..' Did it make you think?

And generally, how you finding 3rd year??

• Advertisement
Advertisement