Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear DG834 Wireless ADSL Router probs

• 29-08-2005 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭

Just bought today a Netgear DG834 router - wasn't any manual or CD inside but managed to figure out how to configure/setup the modem. However, although a connection through Ethernet works fine I can't connect wirelessly but there doesn't seem to be any problems reported. If anyone familiar with this device has had similar issues, can you help:

Some info:

when i run ipconfig/all, under Media State it says "Media Disconnected"

under Network Connections, the device name for Wireless Network Connection is "802.11g MiniPCI Wireless Network Adapter" but is "Not Connected"

looking at Device properties says "device is working properly"

under Router Status in Admin page it has
    Wireless Port
    Name (SSID) NETGEAR
    Region Europe
    Channel 11
    Wireless AP enable
    Broadcast Name enable

everything looks like its working normally, but nothing comes up in Available Wireless Networks

could it be possible that my wireless adapter is broken - any other way to test rather than venture into a hotel lobby or something...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

If Windows is saying you can't find any wireless networks, I'd be iffy if you've connected before about your router, but if you've never connected to any network before then I'd say wireless card.

Get Netstumbler and see if that can pickup any signal at all. Or wonder around Stephens Green/Leeson St area with your lappy and see if you can find anything.

Or get a friend with a wireless card to setup a ad-hoc network on bring over his AP or you go over to him/her with your router and see if s/he can connect

Just test both devices first before doing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Robin1982

netstumbler couldn't find adapter even though pretty sure it was on list - could have problems...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is your wireless adapter installed properly? (Is the aerial connected properly to the card? Have you used it before with a wireless network? Was the netgear new? Usually the come with a cd which contains the manual - you can download the manual from the netgear site.

If the netgear was secondhand or used before is there any chance there might be mac filtering still set up on it.

As per previous post it might be worth testing the laptop in a hot spot -Kylemore Cafe in Stephen's Green center used to give 30 mins free with a cup of coffee while some internet cafes have wireless connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Robin1982

Had Eircom's Netopia before and worked but then suddenly couldn't pick up wireless. Went in to Trinity Capital Hotel today - didn't pick up any signal. Looks like its on the blink. Its a Targa Traveller laptop (Lidl special - €1.5k) - but now add this problem to battery that won't recharge and USB ports that intermittently work. Oh well, time to call in the warrantly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Robin1982 wrote:
    Had Eircom's Netopia before and worked but then suddenly couldn't pick up wireless. Went in to Trinity Capital Hotel today - didn't pick up any signal. Looks like its on the blink. Its a Targa Traveller laptop (Lidl special - €1.5k) - but now add this problem to battery that won't recharge and USB ports that intermittently work. Oh well, time to call in the warrantly...

I think it might of time to call in the warrenty when it stopped recharging and the usb ports went down south.

Only delaying it erodes your customer rights even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

have you checked your WEP address?, make sure its at 128bit encryption and check for firewalls

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

I have the same piece of kit, it's working fine. The problem is that the firmware is too old.

Upgrade to the beta ver 1.25 driver on the netgear support website, should work fine after that.

Seems to be issues with the adsl support on the "stable" driver 1.28 so i'd recommend sticking with ver 1.25 ;)

it's a common problem with centrino 2200 series adapters especially,

See how you get on...
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

still doesn't work?

Borrow a friend's wifi adapter and see if you can get a stable connection.

Advertisement