Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Coral playing UCD

Options
  • 29-08-2005 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

Taken from www.ucdsu.net..........

''The Coral Live in UCD

An exclusive live appearance-Thursday the 6th of October.
    UCD Ents is proud to announce that The Coral will be coming to campus for an exclusive live appearance on Thursday the 6th of October. Tickets are priced @ €15 and will go on sale on Monday 26th of September. The gig will take place in the Astra Hall in the student centre. A venue which we hope will attract some big names to UCD in the upcoming year. Tickets will be on sale from all SU shops from the 26th of September @ 9am. Unfortunately capacity will be limited so make sure to get one as early as you can!!!!!!!''

Well I have to say it's great to see the ents office doing something proper for once. I always thought the Astra Hall would be an ideal venue for gigs and finally someone has come to their senses and is making use of the Astra Hall. It's great to see a relatively big name band come to play in UCD. Top bands play at many universities in Britain so why not here? It's abut time! I personally think The Coral are fab (1st album is great!) so hopefully they will not be the first and last big name band to play here. Hopefully they'll have a good mix of bands from all genres playing throughout the year.

Kudos Ents....... keep it up though!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Who?

my thoughts exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

anto has a lot planned for ents this year - can't wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

ahh that's cool! I can't say I've heard much of their stuff, but they seem alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

this is great news. i really like the coral. i had a look at what the ents had planned for the year on the su website and its very impressive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

So Zane, this mean you're gonna stick around? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Mr.Nice Guy and tribulus - Do you guys ever listen to anything outside the top 10?
    Vainglory wrote:
    So Zane, this mean you're gonna stick around?

Stay in UCD becuase of The Coral? No but if The Libertines reform one night only for a gig in the astra hall then I'm frickin' staying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Who?

Where do you live? Under a rock, in some cave...sigh.

Cool beans Zane, methinks I might just ch-ch-ch-check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Alana wrote:
    Where do you live? Under a rock, in some cave...sigh.

Hey don't insult us troglodytes!

The Coral must be rubbish since I haven't heard of them. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Mr.Nice Guy and tribulus - Do you guys ever listen to anything outside the top 10?

who are the top ten??? :confused:

also remember i'm not a working man like yourself = no money for cd's :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Wouldn't mind seeing them again, they were pretty good at the Oasis concert :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Stay in UCD becuase of The Coral? No but if The Libertines reform one night only for a gig in the astra hall then I'm frickin' staying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll get Anto right onto it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Yeah that's good news. Seems like an ents officer is getting to grips with the job for a change and getting proper big name acts to ucd rather than the usual Saw Doctors or Aslan. All British universities are able to draw loads of big name bands and for the size of UCD it's a bit crazy why the student union don't make more of an effort to get these bands as it would obviously be good for their bank balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

yeah the ents officer knows what he's doing from what I can see, although I don't know how good big bands are for the bank balance (although they are great for ucd in general). Considering the amount of money it would cost to book bands like the Coral, the SU may lose some money in the deal. But since their goal for the year is to simply break even (I think :confused: ) they can make up for it with things like the freshers ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Bah.... Radio friendly soft rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

well I'm sure the gig would sell out and €15 a ticket must go a long way to paying for the band, they must make a profit out of that. And eh, I wouldn't class the Coral as radio friendly soft rock! It's pretty weird mix of influences that they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

Just to answer the question as to why UK universities get more big name acts: It's very simple, they have purpose built venues that are open to the public, and are bookable by outside promoters. UCD doesn't, though allegedly there are plans to change this(something along similar lines to the helix at DCU).The astra hall is barely passable as a veune - it's essentially a conference hall, unlike the bigger uk universities that have venues that were designed to be venues, that have proper bars and proper sound systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

tribulus wrote:
    who are the top ten??? :confused:

*cough* :rolleyes:

Why don't you and Mr. Bad Guy stop moaning and go and listen to your New Kids On The Block CD's!
    Vainglory wrote:
    I'll get Anto right onto it :P

If you can persuade Anto to reunite Pete and Carl for one night only at the Astra Hall I will seriously do anything for you. Be it P.A. or any other favours Zane will be your man! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

funktastic wrote:
    Yeah that's good news. Seems like an ents officer is getting to grips with the job for a change and getting proper big name acts to ucd rather than the usual Saw Doctors or Aslan.

Nothing wrong with the Sawdoctors! Best act at Oxegen by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

the coral are a great band, scousers if im not mistaken, its hard to put a time on them, like a genre or anything, there's something indie-poppish about them but they can't be tied back to the 70s or 80s or any of that, every song is different. you know "in the morning" or "dreaming of you"? they're all organs and clean piano stuff with guitars and bass... im looking forward to going to ucd now, who else of notable importance has performed there in recent years? how big is this astra hall you speak of?

• Advertisement
Advertisement