Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do's and don'ts for first year students?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Blush_01 wrote:
    That guy who died near the library last year.

WTF? I've never heard that story. Was it before Sept 04 maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

WTF? I've never heard that story. Was it before Sept 04 maybe?

was back in march 2004. Chem post grad collapsed behind library building late at night. Wasn't spotted by anyone till next morning, but he had died of exposure during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It's awful, I actually cannot remember exactly when it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

ok folks but dying on campus is hardly a do or don't, who even brought that up here? funkstard you're very concerned about your education, you're only starting 6th year aren't you? i remember u asking me about arch in dit!
    well i got residence in merville and i have to get to richview every morning, that's probably more of a trek than u have!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Than who? There are people here who walk longer than that to get to their buses to commute - you're damned lucky!

• Advertisement

upmeath wrote:
    ok folks but dying on campus is hardly a do or don't

Ive been thinking... its gotta be a dont

yeah i suppose it can't be advisable, but it's uncontrollable too...cant anybody tell me the do's and don't's of budgeting, financial issues and whatnot, are there any great ways to get locked for free, any nixers or handy jobs that will pay off, crap like that? how much do y'all survive on per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Yes I'm going into 6th year.......ssh! I'm just getting ahead of the game.

I might get a Segway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Lordy wrote:
    Hmm ... most of what I was going to post has already been said but lets see ...

Do accept that Science people are far superior to other facilities. :p

i like this guy :)

upmeath wrote:
    cant anybody tell me the do's and don't's of budgeting, financial issues and whatnot, are there any great ways to get locked for free, any nixers or handy jobs that will pay off, crap like that? how much do y'all survive on per week?

Eh budgeting? No it's basically a question of what happens the money. I personally choose to sit back and watch it flow away. As for getting locked for free well thats a toughie. Id say pick some mushrooms my friend, but the folks are usually handy for the key to the drinks cabinet if you ask very very nicely and say that vodka helps you concentrate!
    Id say my monthly living costs break down as follows... heres the science bit

Donations to alcoholic merchants = E310
    Fodder = E90
    Travel = E55
    Random bills = Random
    Rent = E430
    Sex = E400 (erm forget I said that one... heh)

Janey mac the more I think about the more it confuses me how I can afford this. Thanks Ma!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

tribulus wrote:
    i like this guy :)

Yeah, deluded people are funny. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

upmeath wrote:
    yeah i suppose it can't be advisable, but it's uncontrollable too...cant anybody tell me the do's and don't's of budgeting, financial issues and whatnot, are there any great ways to get locked for free, any nixers or handy jobs that will pay off, crap like that? how much do y'all survive on per week?
    Like I said, eat on campus at least twice a week and dont try cut corners with your food budget.
    Definitly get a CIE travel card
    The LUAS is free just keep your eyes open
    Drinking at home, so long as its with others, is good
    Bus drivers dont actual count the change you put in the machine
    Remember how to ride a bike?

The LUAS is free just keep your eyes open

Ah, how true. Last year I was on the Luas from Connolly with no ticket and next thing I see the ticket cop and I go:

"Oh sorry dude I dont know how it works" (stressed my Northern accent) and showed him my train ticket
    "Is this it?"

He thought I was such a dimwit that he let me off with a culchies guide to the big smoke.

Ka-ching!!

ok, so can someone tell me exactly (to the nearest 10euro if possible?) how much i want my parents to give me PER WEEK?
    im doing architecture which is pretty intensive and leaves fock all time for sleep, nevermind a part time job, which means im relying on what my parents give me to survive. do i need 100, 150, 200 euro a week do u think? im a 17 year old guy with needs and expensive taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Also any tips on how many hours to work? I'm thinking about Dunnes Cornelscourt if I get res as it's not too far. Any other places that are a handy distance away? I know there's a couple of petrol stations nearby anyway. And I know I'm only in year 13(6th year in England) but I have an obsession with planning way too far ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Kate_17

Heading back to the theme of safety there a second, I see that the SU are organising a bus service this year which will transport students back to the residences after nights out. Looks handy, just hope it's convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

you mean after freshers ball and the like? yea they usually do that. though some bus drivers feck you out at main gate....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

town is usually easier from the point of view of buses and most places there pay more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Just back from hols so missed this thread but here's my advice...

Get a gun, shoot yourself in the foot, go home.

To upmeath: You're gonna need 80 euro a week minimum. That's doable. Anything less and I expect you to be dead in a month.

SebtheBum wrote:
    To upmeath: You're gonna need 80 euro a week minimum. That's doable. Anything less and I expect you to be dead in a month.

I've been worrying for my personal welfare, dieting and social life since my parents offered me 100e a week yesterday. all i can say is thank **** i got a scholarship, its a survival pack! also, my aib account is going on a diet, its gonna be very skinny, i like breakfast rolls for my breakfast, beer for lunch and tea, is everything THAT heavily subsidised?

• Advertisement

Sheesh, if you're that worried about it, get a job, you wuss.

LadyLotts wrote:
    Also any tips on how many hours to work? I'm thinking about Dunnes Cornelscourt if I get res as it's not too far. Any other places that are a handy distance away? I know there's a couple of petrol stations nearby anyway.QUOTE]

If I were to imagine something opposite to petrol I would say a girl, but different strokes for different folks as *they* say.

Working in first year I dunno I wouldnt advise working in first year - or in college. It cuts down on both social life and academic life its like having a ... 3rd life!!! Weird. I don't know anyone who pulled it off. And I imagine it takes much of the fun out of college nah smells too much like responsibility for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

SebtheBum wrote:
    Sheesh, if you're that worried about it, get a job, you wuss.
    No ivory backscratchers for the average UCD student then? ;)

I only said "if you are that worried about it".
    I myself have never and, if all goes to plan, will never have a job.

But I don't whinge/worry/fret about my lack of monetary resources!

I got e75 a week in 1st year, and e80 a week 2nd yr.
    That's what I'm gettin this yr as well, which given that I failed the year, I regard as being very fair... :D

80euro a week is very fair, imo. I couldn't see myself spending that much.

Waltons wrote:
    Oh sorry I should point out something...

That is what I get per week from September through to May. From September to May I don't live at home, I live in town. So basically, that 80 euro has to account for Food, Travel costs, *ahem* toiletries, and, most importantly of all, Smokes and Booze.

So if you were in my position you would DEFINITELY find yourself spending it in a jiffy... :D

Waltons wrote:

What thats crazy. You could spend that on the bus alone - well, almost. Definitely in a day.
    Take a random Tuesday: get lunch, pay library fine, go out for a few drinks, call credit or ssomething else random = 80 euros spent! Not to mention bills. Are you sure youre in UCDDDDDDDDDDDDD and not UCC?!

I hope paying library fines isn't on my regular expenditure :eek:
    I also neglected to mention that I'm living about 5 minutes walk from my nearest UCD gate so most of that money will be going on drink and, occasionally, on food ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lol, I spend more than 80 euro a week... and I live at home. But I have a job.
    Gonna have to tighten up a bit this year... I'm now 4k in debt due to fees loan... :(
    *no PSP for me then...*

• Advertisement

*Takes Rainbow Kirby's PSP*
    That oughtta make it easier for ya sweetheart! :D

Advertisement