Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace faulty nokia 8850 screen

• 30-08-2005 6:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭

Would it be a big job i.e expensive to replace a lcd in a nokia 8850? Do i have to go to a phone shop or could someone like myself, with no technical experiance with regards to phones, buy a screen off ebay and sucessfully install it with minimum fuss.

thanks in advance,

steppen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

is the lcd actually broken or are you just getting display problems (i.e. text fading in places or what looks like bits of the text missing), and perhaps squeezing (near the logo) making it display everything properly... if so it may just be the 'elastomer' needs replacing, at least it is cheaper to try that first

as to your success at replacing the internals yourself, if you've ever taken anything apart and had bits left over after putting it back together, then i'd get someone else to do it for you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

is the lcd actually broken or are you just getting display problems (i.e. text fading in places or what looks like bits of the text missing), and perhaps squeezing (near the logo) making it display everything properly... if so it may just be the 'elastomer' needs replacing, at least it is cheaper to try that first

as to your success at replacing the internals yourself, if you've ever taken anything apart and had bits left over after putting it back together, then i'd get someone else to do it for you ;)

The text breaks up every now and again, there doesnt seem to be a pattern to this fault i.e when performing a certain operation.

Do you think this could be a potentially expensive problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I had the same problem you are talking about. Went through 1 repair and 2 replacements, they would be ok for a short while but it would happen again. Gave up on it and got a new phone at the time. I think one of the reasons it was happening was due to the screen being squeezed when inside your pocket, but it's a few years ago now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

jester77 wrote:
    I had the same problem you are talking about. Went through 1 repair and 2 replacements, they would be ok for a short while but it would happen again. Gave up on it and got a new phone at the time. I think one of the reasons it was happening was due to the screen being squeezed when inside your pocket, but it's a few years ago now!

ok jester, thanks for your input..i'll see how it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

steppen wrote:
    The text breaks up every now and again, there doesnt seem to be a pattern to this fault i.e when performing a certain operation.

Do you think this could be a potentially expensive problem?

well you can get the parts, i.e. the elastomer from GBP £1 plus shipping, so if you DIY it wouldn't be that expensive - no gaurantee it will be fixed for ever though... like jester i had problems, had 1 repair and one replacement of an 8850, when it failed again i'd had enough and got on to Nokia to replace it with a differnet model...

• Advertisement
Advertisement