Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposable Credit Card

Options
  • 30-08-2005 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

saw an article in the irish indo about a disposable credit card that permanent tsb are releasing in association with Visa, bought like phone credit in the shop, it allows you to purchase online or in shops, if you dont have a credit card, its not a plastic card but is printed on paper like phone credit. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

interesting.
    I wonder is it set at a certain value, or will there be a few?
    Do you have to hold a ptsb account for it?
    Where will they be dispensed from?
    must have a look for that article myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Have a look at the charges while you're at it :eek:

www.3v.ie, have one already, pretty expensive but handy for internet shopping when you've No CC

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

whiskeyman wrote:
    interesting.
    I wonder is it set at a certain value, or will there be a few?
    Do you have to hold a ptsb account for it?
    Where will they be dispensed from?
    must have a look for that article myself :)

during testing phase credit was set at €200, but limits will be set higher once it goes on general sale, they dont say whether you already need a PTSB account or where cards can be bought from. Good idea for those paranoid about using credit card online :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I remember AIB had a little program for PCs that used to generate a unique credit card number depending on the amount you specified.
    You could then use this to purchase goods online up to that value and your original cr card details wouldnt be compromised.
    Anyone still use that?
    That was the best idea for those paranoid about online buying.
    I presume there's an age limit also?

(cheers for the link - having a good read through now:))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

My sister has an AIB credit card and she still uses that for online purchases from sites she hasn't purchased from before. I have a BoI credit card, and heard some blurb from them a couple of years ago to the effect that they were introducing a similar scheme, but if they have, I never heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

I wrote about this a few months ago. Link here
    I've bought credit once, and used it up completely. Haven't put any more money on the card coz of access to the outlets. But it appears it will be rolled out on a wider basis, so I might use it again.
    I have a CC, but have used it on sites like PayPal and others where I have some doubts about security of my CC details. I have a large limit which has been used on occasion. Might lower it again.

As for cost: 4 yoyos a pop might seem expensive. How does it compare to 40 yoyos a year? That's for you to do the maths yourself. It gives me a fair bit of peace of mind. What does that cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

moer info in todays indo on this, the cost of getting the credit is €5 a pop, and if you have any unused credit you have to pay €1.50 to get it refunded to you, the credit is available in increments of €10 from €20 to €350. its available at the moment in 14 centra shops in dublin, doesnt say where, but will be rolled out to 1000 shops that use Pay-zone mobile top up.

you register on www.3v.ie or by phone and get a plastic ID card which is used for ID purposes, its needed with the paper ith the credit on it, shops probably need to match it against id number printed on paper, wonder how that will work re: online payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

whiskeyman wrote:
    I remember AIB had a little program for PCs that used to generate a unique credit card number depending on the amount you specified.
    You could then use this to purchase goods online up to that value and your original cr card details wouldnt be compromised.
    Anyone still use that?
    That was the best idea for those paranoid about online buying.
    I presume there's an age limit also?

(cheers for the link - having a good read through now:))

yeah I use it all the time, it's called transactonline with AIB. As I only ever use my cc online it's dead handy, extremely easy to use and you can set the amount (as low as 1 euro I think) for each individual one off transaction. Great idea as it adds an extra layer of protection in that you could only be possibly ripped by the amount you set on that one transaction, surprised really it hasn't caught on with other banks, I assumed all banks had it in some variety?

Advertisement