Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adbusters: eircom broadband ad forgets to mention it's timed

Options
  • 30-08-2005 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

Just heard an ad on Today FM for eircom broadband for €19.99 appealing to parents of schoolkids and how it'll be great for them. They forget to mention its timed. Kind of makes a joke out of the ASAI upcoming ruling.

Anyone else hear this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

Yeah it seems that they are set on turning seasonal events into reasons for getting broadband, I wonder if there'll be another big push at halloween to... you know... coordinate bonfires with your relatives in Australia...

And yes, it's eircom broadband "from €19.99 a month".

Having made a complaint to the ASAI about the previous ads, I received a letter in the post recently like the other people who complained. Of course, the term "broadband" in the product wasn't considered illegal, so I guess technically there's nothing wrong with eircom claiming they have broadband from €19.99.

[edit: So yes, I should say also, that while they make no mention of the timed offering being the cheapest, they didn't specifically mention anything other than the fact they have a broadband product for that price. Thanks to the ASAI you'd have a hard time arguing that schoolkids "doing their homework using the interweb" requires broadband to be defined as time-unlimited access.]

The whole situation is sure frustrating though. Yet I have no option but wait for my exchange to be upgraded. ;[

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I can let you have a new mercedes "from 19.99 a month"*
    *terms and conditions apply

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Similiar ads have appeared on TV, advertising BB for €19.99 without any mention of the time limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Well until ComReg put their foot down(hahaha!!!) eircom will continue to use the term Broadband for something which really is not Broadband(always on!) but basically Fast DialUp Internet!!!

Advertisement