Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick Q about NCT

Options
  • 30-08-2005 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Wife's car is going in tomrrow .... 2 of the tyres are near limit. If these are found to be under the minimum, do they stop the test there and then or check everything and complete the failure sheet? At least then we know all that needs repair and fixing.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Chaz wrote:
    Wife's car is going in tomrrow .... 2 of the tyres are near limit. If these are found to be under the minimum, do they stop the test there and then or check everything and complete the failure sheet? At least then we know all that needs repair and fixing.

Thanks

Yep they carry on with full test. If car has to be returned for repeat, and does not have to use ramp, etc....ie visual inspection in car park....not charged full repeat test charge
    t
    Check out their www
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

and change those tyres, why oh why wold you let your wife drive around on worn tyres.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

for her life insurance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

and change those tyres, why oh why wold you let your wife drive around on worn tyres.

I didnt say they are slicks. Certainly still have tread - just not sure if they will pass or fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Switch them with other wheels off another car temporarily :D

• Advertisement

If you are thinking they may fail the NCT then their stopping abilities are reduced significantly compared to new(er) tyres.
    They should be changed before they reach the legal limit, not when at it. This would be especially more relevant as we approach the rainier time of year.

[Unless of course you are thinking of her life insurance!]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

They will try and charge you for a full retest even if it is only a tyre check !

They had the cheek to try and retest my Mothers car when it was the SPARE TYRE that had been replaced ! B4$TARDS !

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MercMad wrote:
    They will try and charge you for a full retest even if it is only a tyre check !

They had the cheek to try and retest my Mothers car when it was the SPARE TYRE that had been replaced ! B4$TARDS !

The spare isnt part of the test though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Pinkchick03

I've another Question:

I've alloys on my car and a friend of the family advised to take them off - as the guys in NCT could fail me on them if all else on the car is ok! I have my old wheels in the garage that i can't sell.
    I've a VW golf with 17" alloys on it. The old wheels are 13 or 14 I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

It is part of the test but only if it's actually in the car! I know it doesn't make any sense, but if you take it out- then they can't fail you!
    With anything not officially part of the test- if it's there then it's supposed to work!

• Advertisement

theShire wrote:
    It is part of the test but only if it's actually in the car! I know it doesn't make any sense, but if you take it out- then they can't fail you!
    With anything not officially part of the test- if it's there then it's supposed to work!
    A friend contacted the DoE about testing a race car (in Dec 1999). Here are some of the questions and answers:-
    S36 P52
    Q. A bald wire showing spare tyre on a buckled rim is not a cause for failure
    Is this correct?
    A. Your reply correct

S36 P52
    Q. A spare tyre not present is not a cause for failure
    Is this correct?
    A. Your reply (none!)

S39 P55
    Q.Spare wheel not part of test
    Is this correct?
    A. Your reply correct

Advertisement