Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burnt DVDs wont play in DVD player

Options
  • 30-08-2005 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Bought a laptop at the weekend with a dvd burner, copied a movie from one of my dvds and burnt it onto a blank dvd.

The burnt copy works in the laptop but when I try play it in my dvd player it just says '"ERROR" on the display.

Do some DVD players not play DVDRW's (or whatever they're called)??

Anything I could be doing wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

yeah it should say on the front of the dvd player cr/rw compatible...u sure u burnt the dvd right??u have to close the disc/session for it to work on a lot of dvd players...what make/model is the player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

jcoote wrote:
    yeah it should say on the front of the dvd player cr/rw compatible...u sure u burnt the dvd right??u have to close the disc/session for it to work on a lot of dvd players...what make/model is the player

I burnt it correctly (I think)... well it plays fine in the laptop anyway...

Its a JVC dvd player, bout 3 years old now Id say... not sure if it says anything about playing cr/rws though...

What do you mean when you say "u have to close the disc/session for it to work on a lot of dvd players"??

Thanks for replying by the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭smadger

What application did you use to do the actual burn?

I had tried a few free ones and had problems playing them on commercial DVD players, but when I switched to using Nero Reloaded everything worked.

Think it was something to do with incorrectly setting the DVD booktype (or something).

smadger wrote:
    What application did you use to do the actual burn?

I had tried a few free ones and had problems playing them on commercial DVD players, but when I switched to using Nero Reloaded everything worked.

Think it was something to do with incorrectly setting the DVD booktype (or something).

I think it was called PowerDVD... came installed on the laptop...

Is Nero free on the web?

no nero isn't free afaik..

when u write a cd the burnt image has to be closed off in order for your dvd player to read it as a dvd rather than just a data disc(not to sure of the actual theory or the process but thats my best explaination,maybe someone can help u with that bit more)...

it would play in the laptop correctly anyway because the laptop would read a data disc...

when u put the disc in the laptop does it say dvd movie found????

• Advertisement

jcoote wrote:

not too sure to be honest but will check it tonight...

not too sure about the "closed off" thing as well... will check the PowerDVD application too...

yeah check it all and let us know..i know my dvd player says error when i write a data disc instead of a dvd video disc

jcoote wrote:

Checked this last night and it doesnt... I have to open up the PowerDVD application and select "Play Movie" from there and the browse to the DVD...

Check the "closing off" thing as well... there was a check box for "close dvd" (or something like that) when burning so I checked that but that didnt help either...

There is no writing on the DVD player to say that it plays DVDR's or anything...

Is Nero worth a shot? A mate of mine has it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭smadger

Probably best to try burning one on your mate's machine using DVD Shrink to remove the copy protection and shrink it to a 4.7G, and then Nero to burn it. DVD Shrink integrates with Nero so it can all be done from DVD Shrink. This mechanism should definitely produce a compatible DVD. If it doesn't then your DVD player prob doesn't like DVD+R or DVD-R or the brand of DVDs you are using.

Haven't ever used PowerDVD Copy (I presume that's the application you used to do the burning). Usually software that comes 'free' on your laptop is crippled in some way (e.g. won't play Dolby Digital) so that they can get you to upgrade to the full version. Could it be something like that? Seems like something they might do with a dubious feature such as copying DVDs. Would be interesting to hear if anyone else on the forum has PowerDVD Copy working with standalone players.

Advertisement