Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayfield the dirtiest place in the country!!

Options
  • 30-08-2005 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

Well what say you to that? I have not had much reason to be in Mayfield in recent years - used to have a friend who lived there and it was fine then. She did live on the cusp of Montenotte/St Lukes though so she was not in the heart of Mayfield. I now live in Dublin and was watching the news with some friends last night - how ashamed was I of the rubbish they were showing on the streets of one of the suburbs of my native home!! City of Culture how are you - what is going on?
    MPA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Its true, Mayfield is manky! Up around the petrol station on the road into glanmire, around the shopping centre (if you would call it that) and the church are all horrible! The road down to Ballyvolane is always strewn with rubbish. Some of the houses as well are boarded up and are being left to ruin. Mayfield is like an area that the Celtic tiger ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Everyone I know took perverse pleasure in pointing out to me that Cobh was nominated one of the dirty towns too. Living there and driving through the main street last night with a visitor from London - we were looking around and trying to figure out "who" came to that decision and "when" because the town looked pretty good last night. Are they talking derelict buildings or dirty pavements? I'm curious. Judes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Mayfield may be manky but Dublin city is no better and probably never will be far from the top of the "dirty" league.

And Cobh? Dirty? First I've heard of it! Cobh's a beautiful and very well kept spot in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Some of the housing estates up there are fairly disgustingly dirty. Boarded up houses, the greens all covered in rubbish. I've even seen a toilet on one green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Of course parts of Dublin city are manky as well - but they did not come top of the list. I am not saying this to start a regional slanging match, but, I just think it must be dreadful for those who live there. Or do they just not care? Why do some people not care about the place they live in? How can people walk past such rubbish and dirt every day and not feel like getting off their behind's and doing something about it? Where is the community spirit?
    MPA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

I live about ten minutes away from mayfield and drive through it regularly. The main reason that the place is so unappealing is because of how old most of the buildings are and how little has been done to update them...
    BUT, if you know the area, you will know that there is a large volume of traffic passing through it everyday, ie. fumes, hence the look of "everything covered in a film of dirt", but ALSO, many drivers/passengers just fling their rubbish out the window at tinkers cross or whatever the PC name for the traffic lights by amber is...and just drive on...
    I know that's getting into a whole n'other topic with littering but it happens.
    On the upside, there are new houses appearing in Mayfield and they're pretty nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Mangler

I live in Leixlip, they use the two rivers as skips, everything juist gets thrown in there, even bin bags full of rubbish, its sickening because its a nice town.
    The streets are covered in snackboxes and empty beer cans.

Point taken, however there are lots of places with as much traffic as Mayfield and they do not look as bad. I doubt it is passing motorists who are dumping the toilets etc..
    I have to say though that one of my own pet hates is motorists who throw cigarette butts out car windows - but that is a different post.
    There seems to be a general lack of attention given to common areas in Mayfield (and other places) Is it because these are council houses?
    We live in a private estate and we all pay for our common areas to be kept presentable and to have bins around and to generally make it is nice place to come home to. I can never imagine wanting to come home every evening to some of the flats you can see in Mayfield.
    MPA

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

MrsA wrote:
    Of course parts of Dublin city are manky as well - but they did not come top of the list.

S'funny - from what I heard, Dublin City Centre came pretty close to top of the list - 2nd or 3rd in fact. Mayfield is very much not alone. Hardly surprising though.

Personally I'm happy enough to be in Dundalk, which was recently rated among the cleanest towns in Ireland (!)

Pretty close to the top is not the TOP!!
    I don't care if Dublin is Manky - where I live is not manky and that is not the point I was trying to make.
    It is not often cork has something to celebrate so why not celebrate this ;)
    MPA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Well firstly, St. Lukes / Montenotte border I would say not only is it not in the heart of Mayfield, but it is not in Mayfield at all. Montenotte and Mayfield are opposites that happen to be sitting next to each other. I heard this survey discussed on the radio a couple of months ago, and they mentioned an industrial estate which didn't empty its skip, litter around the place, and this kind of thing. I don't have much faith in these surveys though, and I would think that there are places in Dublin and Limerick which could have received the title ahead of Mayfield, but maybe the organisers of this survey were afraid to go there ;)

Its funny how people here see things completely different. For example, I would also consider Cobh to be a kip. It is a very dirty town, I think the local councillors were even trying to ban chewing gum because the town was covered in it... on the other hand, I lived in Leixlip for a year last year, and unlike Mangler I didn't find it to be very dirty at all. In terms of rubbish and that it seemed fine to me, the only thing I had a problem with was the river at the corner by the Loft which stinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭axel90

Mayfield is by far not the worst...knocka is cleaned every week by council but the day before this clean up is worse than mayfield and cobh combined... apparently media planted stuff to make it look worse on news also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭CHUCKLEZ

Knocka dont be cleaned every week by county council at all!!!!

Advertisement