Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle sign Owen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hes an ok signing but for 18 million POUNDS its a waste of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

Lemlin wrote:
    Never before has acting like a big shot blown up so much in someone's face. I'd imagine Michael now wishes Madrid had never came near him. I'd also imagine alot of Liverpool supporters are thinking that it serves him right.

Yeah, but sure hindsight is always 20/20. How many Liverpool fans really thought in the the summer of 2004 when Owen left that they would go on and win the CL that season? There's no way that Owen would have even dreamed they were capable of that so he did the right thing for himself at that time which was to move on.

I think he'll be a good signing for Newcastle, looking forward to seeing how him and Shearer link up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

:eek: WTF is going on?

Newstalk 106 have just announced that Owen is going back to Liverpool after all!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Lemlin wrote:
    Never before has acting like a big shot blown up so much in someone's face. I'd imagine Michael now wishes Madrid had never came near him. I'd also imagine alot of Liverpool supporters are thinking that it serves him right.

He moved to Real Madrid, because he thought that it would develop his career, and improve him as a footballer. Are you saying it hasn't? It makes me laugh, the amount of idiots who assume that Owen's gone backwards just because he wasn't playing in the Premiership for a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

BBC Sport understands Liverpool may still try to hijack the move before Wednesday's transfer deadline

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4196760.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

kaids wrote:
    Great signing for Newcastle. Newcastle only slightly paid over the odds, they should have been able to get the price down because Owen wasn't a first-teamer at Madrid. For a player of his quality and age though, £17m is a good deal.

I think Newcastle will do well once they get over their slow start. They were good against Arsenal especially considering they had 10 men for most of it. Parker is a superb player, Souness seems to be building the side around him which I think will bring out of him. In his final 6 months at Charlton he was probably the best midfielder (form wise at least) in the premiership. Emre has great quality and will create lots of chances for others, as will Dyer & Luque. Regardless of what has been said here I think Boumsong is a very good defender, he needs better players around him though. And in Given they have the 2nd best keeper in the league.

Despite Souness' dodgy record in dealing with players, he seems to have steadied the ship there too. New contracts signed, Dyer playing on the right without any complaints etc. Jenas is unhappy in Newcastle but I don't think that's his fault.
    I agree with all the above.

I expect Newcastle to challenge for Europe now, if they sign another defender they will definitely get Europe IMO. They've had as bad starts in the previous two years, and almost got CL in one of them. This year they have played two of the best three teams in the country, and a top six team from last year away from home. Hardly easy pickings.

Souness has signed four potentially world class players this Summer. He is building a cracking team at Newcastle. It complements the good job he did at Blackburn.

As regards Owen's price, if it were Adriano, Torres, or Eto'o signed for the same amount of money it would be "the steal of the century". Fact of the matter is Owen has a more consistent goalscoring record than all of these players. He is still only 25. He has more experience at all levels than some current internationals can only dream of.

Newcastle knowingly paid a small premium to out-bid Liverpool but £17M for a proven, world class, young, experienced hungry striker is a steal. Particularly when he is the ideal style to partner your talisman up front. Add to that they have already played together. Comparing his price to his price last year is idiotic and of no relevance because he only had a single year to run on his contract last year.
    Lemlin wrote:
    He was on someone's on the Luque thread at the weekend. Maybe not yours.
    A couple of mistakes in a game does not make him a bad player, even if the game was on Sky :rolleyes:

To be fair, he was marshalling the defence that kept United extremely quiet for an hour. Did they even have a meaningful chance? Did the same at Arsenal too. While the first goal was an individual error (I know *good* players never make them), the second goal was a lot more than just his fault.

Boumsong is a good player. He has proven it at international and European level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Bateman wrote:
    He moved to Real Madrid, because he thought that it would develop his career, and improve him as a footballer. Are you saying it hasn't? It makes me laugh, the amount of idiots who assume that Owen's gone backwards just because he wasn't playing in the Premiership for a season.

There's no need to call people idiots just because they have a different opinion and besides, I think you're missing the point he was making.

The reason why Owen moved to Real Madrid was to win stuff and it's quite ironic that the very season that he left Liverpool on his quest to win some footballing honours Liverpool go on to win one of the highest accolades in World football.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

its a fantastic signing for Newcastle. I hope he has a sucessful career there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If the deal is secure its a good deal for Owen, he's first choice there he proberly won't be at Liverpool. He will get goals and thats what he and Newcastle both need. Real meanwhile get an exellent price for him.

That that, this may not be over until midnight tomorrow. Watch this space.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Owen just signed his career away.

Newcastle just dumped out forks for someone who wont change a thing. Firstly get that dopey manager out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Is Owen's move to Newcastle the most desperate transfer in football histroy or what! He's signed his career away by joining this sinking ship. He won't make a difference to Newcastle. Newcastle's problem lies behind the strikers. A poor defence, poor unimaginative midfield and a very poor manager isn't going to give him much chance to do what he does best and that's score goals. I have no doubt that he would still get into the World Cup squad had he remained at Real if he played or not. I believe he would have forced himself into that team.... he was superb last season.

World Cup 2006? He should be preparing for Coca-Cola Championship in 2006 if that idiot Souness stays in charge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

He won't make a difference to Newcastle.
    He has proven that he can score goals at all levels. Prolific in the Premiership for Liverpool, the best goals per minutes ratio in La Liga last season and always prolific for England. How could he not make a difference to a team?
    A poor defence
    While they are maybe a bit suspect at the back, I don't think they are awful. Good solid 'keeper, experienced right-back in Carr (even though he may not be in the best form of his career) and a solid Boumsong in the centre. I know he cocked up against United, but he is a good defender. And when he joined, Titus Bramble finally started to look like the solid defender that Bobby Robson signed from Ipswich. Don't forget they also have an Under-21 international in Steven Taylor.
    poor unimaginative midfield
    If there's one thing Newcastle aren't lacking, it's midfielders. Jenas, Dyer, Bowyer, Emre, Parker, Faye, N'zogbia, Milner and possibly Luque. The signings of Emre and Parker were brilliant.

People can say what they want about Souness, but to me, there's too much quality there for them now to stay scrapping near the wrong end of the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

So what has changed your mind on him from a couple of weeks ago then Muppet. Because back a couple of weeks, when it looked like he would sign for Liverpool you said he was a very ordinary player, now that He is Newcastle and not liverpool bound, he is a fantastic signing who will score 20+ per season. He must have done alot in the games between now and then to have changed your mind (not too many games IIRC).

I wish MO all the best but I do think that he has just hitched a lift with James Dean.[/QUOTE

What I said was
    I know he had injuries and the contract scenario probably hindered him too but he looked very ordinary that season to me.

He did look very ordinary in his last season at Liverpool and I explained the reasons for that. 16 goals for real Madrid while only playing a bit part means his loss of form was temporary .

BTW I never though he would resign for Liverpool, his preference was to join United but they could not facilitate him in the team. Benitze never sounded very keen on resigning him, the only way he was going there was if the chairman over ruled Benitz and that could have had serious implications for the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Is Owen's move to Newcastle the most desperate transfer in football histroy or what! He's signed his career away by joining this sinking ship.

World Cup 2006? He should be preparing for Coca-Cola Championship in 2006 if that idiot Souness stays in charge!

Lucky he has a get out clause then isnt it, wonder if the exact details will be released. But you can bet if they go to Div 1 ,hes gone.

One odd thing is he wants to play week in week out to play for England, doesnt matter as once hes fit hes 1st choice and for Sven to say otherwise is bollocks. Owen is 1st choice striker and thats not gonna change regardless of who he playing for and where.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4196760.stm
    Real Madrid forward Michael Owen will be unveiled as a Newcastle player at 1200 BST on Wednesday.

The England striker, who passed his medical on Tuesday, has agreed a four-year deal and is believed to have cost the Magpies a club record £17m.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Just as a matter of interest,how much did Madrid pay for Owen when they signed him???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

£8m plus Nunez so about £10m or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kmart6 wrote:
    Just as a matter of interest,how much did Madrid pay for Owen when they signed him???

£8m

Shamrok wrote:
    £8m plus Nunez so about £10m or so.

Where did you learn maths? 8m plus Nunez is around £5m. We had to pay that waster. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Real Madrid are good business men :)
    Owen is a quality player, I figure they'll get back into Europe where they belong, don't think they can challenge Liverpool/Spurs/Bolton for the 4th place spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Just keep into mind Madrid got Owen for so little because of the length left on his contract , thus an impressive season with Real (and it was impressive for the amount of match time he was given) later and a longer contract equate to the £17 million .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

great signing for newcastle not so sure if its the best in the long term for owen. in the short term it will help his world cup place.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

PHB wrote:
    Real Madrid are good business men :)
    haha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

kaids wrote:
    haha!
    I agree!!

PHB do you know nothing of Reals financial troubles in the 90's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

evilhomer wrote:
    I agree!!

PHB do you know nothing of Reals financial troubles in the 90's?

The ones that got them 300 million for land they didnt own yet sold?

Buying any player for 8 million playing him as a sub and selling him for 16 is cracking business, shame they didnt give makele 30k extra weekly 2 seasons ago.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

KdjaC wrote:
    Lucky he has a get out clause then isnt it, wonder if the exact details will be released. But you can bet if they go to Div 1 ,hes gone.

I would say that most top players have that in thier contracts.

B.

Well Sky are reporting that there is no get-out clause...

most teams that are even remotely likely to finish in the bottom half would haver most of their top players on relegation release clauses. Its fairly standard at this stage. I'm talking the teams like Boro, Newcastle etc, not just promoted one because they knowits a high possibilty they will go back down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Originally Posted by Bateman

Never said it hasn't. What I was saying is that Owen is coming back to England with his tail between his legs. Do you think he wanted to sign for Newcastle? No, he's had to as a last measure because nobody else wanted him. Why would he have stalled for so long if he didn't realise he was joining a sinking ship?

That's the result of him acting like a bigshot and demanding a move to Madrid a year ago.

KdjaC wrote:
    The ones that got them 300 million for land they didnt own yet sold?

Buying any player for 8 million playing him as a sub and selling him for 16 is cracking business, shame they didnt give makele 30k extra weekly 2 seasons ago.

kdjac
    Thats the one. having to get bailed out by the spanish government becuase of your over spending and mis management of club finances.

But I still don't think that selling a player for twice the price you paid for him, to a very desperate club, is Real being good business men. It's more them being in the right place at the right time. No other club would have paid £17 million for Owen.

As regards makelele, I agree, that was the turning point in Reals dominance. He had relieved an awful lot of pressure off a dodgy Real defence for years. They started letting in more silly goals and had less attacking threat because players like Zidane and Figo had to help defend (shocking :p).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Considering Owens world view of several years ago Newcastle is a step back for him. Back when Beckham was at the height of his powers getting the plaudits for England I remember an interview with Owen where he said he looked at the kudos that Beckham was receiving and said that was what he aspired to, he wanted to be the one that everyone looked up to with high regard.

Perhaps his world view has changed now and he wants a quieter life for himself and expecting wife and wants to get on with his football. I don't buy it however, parallel his move to Madrid with Beckham moving to Madrid and I'm sure he had every intention of doing at least as well there and hopefully eclipsing him. He didn't and now he's at Newcastle for fear that another year on the bench would damage his England career and / or his career in general.

As a player I doubt very much that he's gone backwards. He had a better goals per minutes played ratio then any Madrid player last season and mixing with all that talent can only have improved his game (look at Nunez - his first profession is as a lawyer :)). Certainly I wanted him to come back to Liverpool but I wish him well at Newcastle. The fans there will idolise him - if things go well then he'll probably be idolised more then he ever was at Liverpool or Madrid, time will tell.

Anyone watching the Michael Owen press conference? dsoesnt seem overly happy at all at having to be at Newcastle. Was asked about why he chose Newcastle, he more or less skated around the issue and gave reasons why he left Real rather than why he chose Newcastle. It was very "well the deadline was coming and I'd have been stuck on the bench and Newcastle were the only ones that really tried to sign me".

Yeah, he did kind of indicate that it was almost second choice. I don't think fans will care though, he's an honest player who gives 100% for whoever he's playing for. The supporters in St. James' Park is unreal, see the amount of them, it's as if it were 2:55 on a saturday afternoon!

Anyone else think he looked uncannily like Scott Parker during the press conference??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Stekelly wrote:
    Anyone watching the Michael Owen press conference? dsoesnt seem overly happy at all at having to be at Newcastle. Was asked about why he chose Newcastle, he more or less skated around the issue and gave reasons why he left Real rather than why he chose Newcastle. It was very "well the deadline was coming and I'd have been stuck on the bench and Newcastle were the only ones that really tried to sign me".
    A wanna-be big fish in a not so big pond (or goldfish bowl to use Jenas's words)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Sweet fudge those newcastle fans are amazeing there must be 10 to 20,000 fans in the stadium just to see owen hope he does the busness for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

bizmark wrote:
    Sweet fudge those newcastle fans are amazeing there must be 10 to 20,000 fans in the stadium just to seem owen hope he does the busness for them

Remember the time they sold Cole and Keegan went out to explain to them! that was gas!!

That was hilarious, although I was upset at the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Big Nelly wrote:
    Remember the time they sold Cole and Keegan went out to explain to them! that was gas!!

I wasnt interested in football untill 2 years ago so didnt see that :( any vids floating around on the net that you know of? unlikely i suppose seeming it happened a good few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

bizmark wrote:
    I wasnt interested in football untill 2 years ago so didnt see that :( any vids floating around on the net that you know of? unlikely i suppose seeming it happened a good few years ago

Keep an eye out for any repeats of The Premiership Years on Sky, they probably show it. Can't remember what year it was though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

SSN just said that there is no buy back clause, so he's there for the 4 years.

Lemlin wrote:
    No, he's had to as a last measure because nobody else wanted him.
    Liverpool also wanted him, but they just wouldn't match Newcastles price. Who is to say United or Arsenal wouldn't have bought him had the price not been so high?
    Lemlin wrote:
    Why would he have stalled for so long if he didn't realise he was joining a sinking ship?
    The deal was done in less than 48 hours, I would hardly call that stalling.
    Lemlin wrote:
    That's the result of him acting like a bigshot and demanding a move to Madrid a year ago.
    When did he "demand a move"? Benetiz sold him at his own discretion. Owen would have stayed at Liverpool for the year had Benetiz wished, or had Real Madrid not come in and asked to buy him.

Get your facts right before posting garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Keep an eye out for any repeats of The Premiership Years on Sky, they probably show it. Can't remember what year it was though.

That would be the 94/95 season the year blackburn won the league .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

When did he "demand a move"? Benetiz sold him at his own discretion. Owen would have stayed at Liverpool for the year had Benetiz wished, or had Real Madrid not come in and asked to buy him.

Ahh come on Turkey, Newcastle have been after him for months, Owen kept saying Fu*k off you sad bast*rds, not a chance i'm playing for ye, and then signs cuz no one else wanted him. Thats called stalling.

And the simple fact is that Owen jumped ship at Anfield long before Benitiez had arrived. He was stalling for about 2 years on a new contract cuz he wanted to feck off abroad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

bizmark wrote:
    Sweet fudge those newcastle fans are amazeing there must be 10 to 20,000 fans in the stadium just to see owen hope he does the busness for them

Obviously there's a lot of unemployment in Newcastle!

Ahh come on Turkey, Newcastle have been after him for months, Owen kept saying Fu*k off you sad bast*rds, not a chance i'm playing for ye, and then signs cuz no one else wanted him. Thats called stalling.
    Newcastle had a bid accepted on Monday. They cant talk to him before then. He cant stall on the deal until they talk to him.

Im not for a second saying that Newcastle was his choice above all else, but he signed a deal pretty quick smart once their bid was accepted.
    And the simple fact is that Owen jumped ship at Anfield long before Benitiez had arrived. He was stalling for about 2 years on a new contract cuz he wanted to feck off abroad...
    He had been stalling on a new deal because the club was going no where. He was only stalling for a year. It wasnt that he was yearning for a move abroad, he just wanted to be challenging for league titles. He wasn't going to do that at Liverpool at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

So why do you think "Benetiz sold him at his own discretion", Benny had no choice in the matter, sell him for a measly £8million or loose him for nothing. It was out of Benny's hands.

The deal was done in less than 48 hours, I would hardly call that stalling..
    He had been stalling on a new deal because the club was going no where. He was only stalling for a year. It wasnt that he was yearning for a move abroad, he just wanted to be challenging for league titles. He wasn't going to do that at Liverpool at the time.

Bit of a climbdown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemlin
    No, he's had to as a last measure because nobody else wanted him.

Liverpool also wanted him, but they just wouldn't match Newcastles price. Who is to say United or Arsenal wouldn't have bought him had the price not been so high?

Quote:
    Why would he have stalled for so long if he didn't realise he was joining a sinking ship?

Quote:

I think you'll see from the support for my post that it is anything but garbage. Newcastle have made it clear that they wanted Owen for the last two weeks.

He wouldn't even go near them until Monday, when he went to see Liverpool too. By most accounts, it appears Owen was told by Benitez that he wouldn't play week-in, week-out for 'Pool. He then decided he had to accept his third choice, and the only other interested party, Newcastle.

Newcastle being his third choice behind playing more games for Madrid or going to Liverpool. In fact, he's pretty much made it clear that Newcastle are his only chance if he wants to play in the World Cup next year, hence the move.

I'd call that stalling!

I'd also call it having to accept the lesser of two evils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

SSN just said that there is no buy back clause, so he's there for the 4 years.

that just means madrid wont be able to buy him back. THere could still be a minimum fee release clause.

So why do you think "Benetiz sold him at his own discretion", Benny had no choice in the matter, sell him for a measly £8million or loose him for nothing. It was out of Benny's hands.
    Re-read your own post again, and then tell me he had no choice.
    Stekelly wrote:
    Bit of a climbdown?
    I dont know what you mean here but in one part where you quoted me I was saying that he hadn't stalled on the Newcastle contract, where as the other part I was saying that he had stalled on his original Liverpool contract.
    Lemlin wrote:
    I think you'll see from the support for my post that it is anything but garbage. Newcastle have made it clear that they wanted Owen for the last two weeks.
    Making it clear you want something, and actually being in negotiations are two totally different things.

I fail to see what either poster has added that improves the lack of content of your original post that I quoted.
    Lemlin wrote:
    He wouldn't even go near them until Monday, when he went to see Liverpool too. By most accounts, it appears Owen was told by Benitez that he wouldn't play week-in, week-out for 'Pool. He then decided he had to accept his third choice, and the only other interested party, Newcastle.
    The reason that Owen didn't join Liverpool was that they were not prepared to pay the same fee as Newcastle. Liverpool never had a bid accepted for him.
    Lemlin wrote:
    Newcastle being his third choice behind playing more games for Madrid or going to Liverpool. In fact, he's pretty much made it clear that Newcastle are his only chance if he wants to play in the World Cup next year, hence the move.
    No he made it clear that to be ready for the World Cup he has to be playing regularly.
    Lemlin wrote:
    I'd call that stalling!
    Im not denying that Owen's would have Liverpool over Newcastle. But it wasn't a case of "he realized he was joining a sinking ship" and "no one else wanted him". Id say he was assessing what options he had, and choose what was best for his career, and his family.

• Advertisement
Advertisement