Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Phones From Abroad

• 30-08-2005 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi I was just wondering does anyone know if the vodafone phone I am using in holland can be used with my Irish sim card once I am at home? I like it a lot and I dont want to have to buy another when I'm back.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

You'll be able to use it if you get the phone unlocked - the network code for Vodafone Holland is different to that of Vodafone Ireland, for example - the only similarity is in the name. The same goes for any phone brought in from abroad (frequency bands aside, which aren't an issue within Europe).

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Bruce Fan

I was actually gona ask the same question.
    I've got a 6630 locked to the vodafone network here i Ireland and I'm moving to Oz next month, so this means I won;t be able to use an Oz vodafone sim then?
    I haven't got enough credit worked up to get the unblocking code as I am only new to vodafone.
    Is there any way I can get around this? With or without vodafones help??
    I don't think there and unlocking calculators for 6630 yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Bruce Fan wrote:
    I was actually gona ask the same question.
    I've got a 6630 locked to the vodafone network here i Ireland and I'm moving to Oz next month, so this means I won;t be able to use an Oz vodafone sim then?
    I haven't got enough credit worked up to get the unblocking code as I am only new to vodafone.
    Is there any way I can get around this? With or without vodafones help??
    I don't think there and unlocking calculators for 6630 yet....
    I had to get a UK vodafone handset unlocked to use it here.

How did you get it unlocked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

You could try www.****.net

Dec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

How much credit do you actually have ti use to be able to get your phone unlocked? Is o2's amount the same as Vodas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

It's like 200 euro or 160 euro or something equally ridiculous. Thing is they won't actually unlock your phone till you spend that or are a bill pay customer even if you're going to be using the same company in a different country. Find someone with a bill phone and get them to unlock the phone for you.

How does that work then??? Getting someone with a bill phone to unlock it I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

There is a crowd in Dublin who unlock phones for Eur 30 and I was in Holland a while back and there are shops there too that do the same for Dutch phones. I have bought phones abroad and got them unlocked and they all work. Make sure its a Vodafone network as the software is similar. I got a phone for my cousin in UK unlocked it and used it for a few months with a Vodafone Ireland SIM . Gave phone to him last week and he put a Vodafone Cyprus SIM in it and it works and he even got Vodafone live at home just changed the settings and IP address etc....its a Motorola V980 and Video calling also works so thats why I say make sure its Vodafone unless your not bothered about anything other than making calls and sending texts.

deckie27 wrote:
    You could try www.****.net

Dec

Emailed them. They said they can't unlock 6630 yet either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

The 6630 cannot be unlocked.
    The only way to unlock them is to get the code from your network

If its a bill phone, they will give you the unlock code free, but if its Ready to Go, you need to have topped up buy about €200 to get a 6630 code.

My girlfriend is on bill with vodafone.
    Will I just get her to ring up and say that she got this new Nokia 6630 but her sim won't work or what?

That trick worked brilliant!!!
    Just got my girlfriend to ring up (whos on bill with vodafone) and say she had a nokia 6630 and needs to get it unlocked so she can use her sim in her new phone when she goes abroad.
    He ordered it then and there and said he'd have it in 5 working days.
    Its as easy as that!

Advertisement