Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Abroad

Options
  • 30-08-2005 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi,

Hypothetical question.

If you were to take your Irish registered car abroad, to the UK for a period of say 6 months for work purposes, would your insurance cover you?

I've spoken to Quinn Direct about it and they say that you'll be covered for 3 months, but they werent clear about longer time periods.

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭JungleBunny

Not too sure how that works, but we brought a car over from Germany and had almost a year to change everything over -register the car here, insure it here etc.
    That was a few years ago but I do know a guy who brought his car over here about 5 years ago and is still insured in austria. completely illegal of course but he has never been stopped. If he was to have an accident I am not too sure how that insurance company would take it though.

Your insurance company should be able to give you that information though. If the guy on the phone did not know, maybe ask for a manager, as this information has to be made available to you as a customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

Yeah, youre right. The insurance company should be able to tell me what I need to know.

I want to re-register my UK car in Ireland & then bring it back to the UK for a few more working contracts. Not entirely sure about it now to be honest. I'm trying to escape paying the VRT & sell the motor on back home, but if thats not possible, I might just forget about the whole thing!

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

In short it depends on the insurance company. My employer will only cover you if the car will be in the country of residence for at least 9 months, but i have a neighbour with a german reg golf and she has been insured in ireland for 12 months via her german insurers. You could chance it, but if they expect you to advise them as to when you're travelling, you might get caught if you have an accident after those dates. It may be worth asking them a few more questions - for example is it 3 months at a time that they'll cover you for, if so can you come home for a weekend and start the three months again??

Advertisement