Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt question

Options
  • 30-08-2005 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Hi, just a quick question. I dropped my '97 1.4 litre Opel Astra into a garage today, for a service and a new timing belt. Has anyone on here had that done recently, and have any idea of possible price range I'd most likely be looking at? I'd like to have a rough idea before they ring back! I'm in Dublin, so no doubt it's slightly more expensive than elsewhere. Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

not that expensive 2 - 300 maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

I'd say less than 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

including labour.. u will be doing well lebowski

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Did you bring it to a main dealers or an independant garage? Is it an 8v or 16v engine, some of the very last of the older shape astras were fitted with the newer 16v engine? The belt on the 8v car will cost about €200 at an independant or about €400 at a main dealers. The 16v will be much more expensive as it requires all the pulleys and tensioners to be replaced too, the kit alone costs about €400 and you've got to add about 3 hours labour onto that.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vinneyboy

You Should have got a quote, most garages will give one as a timing belt is a pretty standard job, price will depend on if your'e getting the job done in a main dealer or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

got one done on a 106 in a main dealer a few weeks back , with full service it was €346....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It all depends on the complexity of the setup (how difficult it is to do). After I did my pig of a Passat (longitudonal engine means front bumper has to come off!) I called Brady's of Castleknock for the craic and they said it would be €700 for a belt and service. I got the belt & tensioner for €50 or €60 and it took me 5hrs from start to finish so I reckon someone used to the job would do it in 2 (and they's charge for 6!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

You guys are talking telephone numbers. 80 euro's from you behind the house cat on the bonnet motor fixer.
    Friend of mine had a head gasket and skim for 180 from said type gentleman.
    Or do it your self the belts about 20 euro's and the equip to stop the cogs moving abt 35 euro's mail order from angleterr!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

stratos wrote:
    You guys are talking telephone numbers. 80 euro's from you behind the house cat on the bonnet motor fixer.....

yeah right,

80 will get you clean timing belt cover with mileage written , finished in white Tippex, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Stratos is right on the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

ibanez wrote:
    Stratos is right on the money.

what 80? for doing timing belt

Advertisement