Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14Mb on a copper pair

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

bk wrote:
    mr_angry, n0mad, 24mbps is the theoritcal maximum for ADSL2+, in reality you won't get anywere near that. Likewise 8mbps is the max for ADSL, yet no one can come near those speeds in the real world.

NTL have reported they can get 18mbps in trials. It should be noted that NTL's copper network is far more modern and well designed then either BT's or Eircoms, with much shorter distances typically under 1km.

BT is likely to get roughly the same speeds as Eircom, in fact I'm amazed Smart have managed to get so a high speed out of Eircoms crappy network.

NTL's -> UK <- network is 4 wire siamese cable ( 4 copper and Coax in one cable) they got the faster speeds using channel bonding on two copper pairs. The Voltage over the NTL copper has always been very low also so it did not degrade the molecular structure of the Copper as happened here.

Also Garfield Sponge bob is right......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

n0mad wrote:
    I can't really say that 14mbps is bad, however I can say that using the tech described you should have no problems reaching 24mbps or even higher (depending on copper quality and length of wire).

What is more interesting is the way that broadband solutions seems very bad, or atleast the "better" ones are very scarse.

You mentioned you had a user that downloaded 300gb in a month. You seem to think that the user should "know" better. Why? If I pay for a service I do intend to use it. The deal with ISPs limiting bw / setting caps is pretty ridiculous to me.

I can understand using firewalls to disable viruses / masks and thus disabling some of the bw hogs.
    I can understand using priority for certain traffic such as http, ftp, smtp, pop3 to make sure that everybody has an "easier" & what would seem like a faster internet connection.

But in my mind charging for bw like they do in Ireland is just plain wrong.
    102 euro per month for a 3mbps/0.256mbps dsl (netsource) with 48gb dl limit (no extra charges for going over apparently) is ridiculous.

I think most users would agree with me. Now then, netsource is not a "residential" supplier by default, but if I can have any dsl connected to my house I do believe it will have to be netsource since all other ISPs that don't enforce limits don't deliver to where I live in Cork City.

I have no idea how the fact that most lines seem to be aerial affect quality of service for adsl but I believe that it can't be good.

Having a limit on how much people should be able to download is bad. However, as far as I have understood it prices for bandwidth in Ireland is really high, in Sweden where I'm from you can get a 100mbps fiber connection for a bussiness for around 700 euro/month.

If anyone has any price info on those kinds of connections for me I'd very happy if you could direct me or just contact me directly (just send an pm through the forum and I'll reply).

Cheers
    Thing is, prices for bandwidth in ireland aren't really high. In fact they should be cheaper than elsewhere because trans atlantic cables land on us and of course there is apparently a lot of dark fibre lying about as well.

You should probably also mention that residential users can get 100MBit symmetrical connection in Sweden for about 35euro a month since most users here would be probably looking at it for residential use.

14mbps is nice, I miss my 17 euro 10Mbit symmetrical connection with no line rental each month though. Once you have that kind of upload VOIP, VNC etc. are soooooo much more realisitc and convenient. With 128k up on bitstream it's just a chore. Though I notice the screenie was giving about 750k up, is that a cap or is it maximum that was possible on the line Garfield?

Also, ETA on Rathmines exchange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Jesus, down here in the sticks in Carlow, we can't even get basic 512k BB. It's so unfair that the whole Irish BB initiative was left in the hands of a private company in Eircom who will roll it out in locations (i.e. Dublin/Cork/Galway) if and when it suits them. I think Smart would instantly control the market if they offered a service of BB to the whole country regardless of location, never mind doing bigger and better deals for the customers living in the town who already have the luxury of BB available to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Big Pipes out of Dublin are very cheap , see

http://www.hiberniaatlantic.com/hibernia/Main/Products.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Jorinn wrote:
    You should probably also mention that residential users can get 100MBit symmetrical connection in Sweden for about 35euro a month since most users here would be probably looking at it for residential use.

14mbps is nice, I miss my 17 euro 10Mbit symmetrical connection with no line rental each month though. Once you have that kind of upload VOIP, VNC etc. are soooooo much more realisitc and convenient. With 128k up on bitstream it's just a chore. Though I notice the screenie was giving about 750k up, is that a cap or is it maximum that was possible on the line Garfield?

Also, ETA on Rathmines exchange?

You are referring to FTTH, though. It's available in Sweden, but it's far from universal. FTTH exists here too except the services offered are pathetic to remain in harmony with the rest of the broadband offerings available. ADSL2+ with 24Mbps/1Mbps (theoretical) is on the other hand very common for reasonable sums of money (like €50 a month the last time I looked).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Laguna wrote:
    Jesus, down here in the sticks in Carlow, we can't even get basic 512k BB. It's so unfair that the whole Irish BB initiative was left in the hands of a private company in Eircom who will roll it out in locations (i.e. Dublin/Cork/Galway) if and when it suits them. I think Smart would instantly control the market if they offered a service of BB to the whole country regardless of location, never mind doing bigger and better deals for the customers living in the town who already have the luxury of BB available to them.

Problem is, Smart is a business, not a charity.. If Smart decided to unbundle every exhange at one go, they would probably not survive..

Perhaps the same can be said about Eircom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Problem is, Smart is a business, not a charity.. If Smart decided to unbundle every exhange at one go, they would probably not survive..

Yeah I'm aware they're a private company. In effect this means only Dublin will be serviced for the forseeable future, as is always the case in this country. You think with the majority of people in this country *not* living in Dublin, the Government with their *nationwide* broadband program would have forseen this. Maybe it's on their to do list, right after opening their brown envelopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Sponge Bob wrote:

These are actually quite expensive - there are 2.5Gbps lambdas going a begging for buttons if you know where to get em! :) (meet me behind the chip shop at 5.00!!!) and Most bigger operators peer in Dublin now for IP transit anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Laguna wrote:
    Yeah I'm aware they're a private company. In effect this means only Dublin will be serviced for the forseeable future, as is always the case in this country. You think with the majority of people in this country *not* living in Dublin, the Government with their *nationwide* broadband program would have forseen this. Maybe it's on their to do list, right after opening their brown envelopes.

Hahahahaha!!!

• Advertisement

Laguna wrote:

The government has no nationwide broadband programme. In fact, I don't believe it has a broadband programme of any description. Apart from studying the content of brown envelopes, it's currently busy "challenging the industry" by releasing the odd press release with broadband usage targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Blaster99 wrote:
    You are referring to FTTH, though. It's available in Sweden, but it's far from universal. FTTH exists here too except the services offered are pathetic to remain in harmony with the rest of the broadband offerings available. ADSL2+ with 24Mbps/1Mbps (theoretical) is on the other hand very common for reasonable sums of money (like €50 a month the last time I looked).
    Nah, I think it was more like fibre to the premises, but as far as I know where I was they've had ti for like a decade or something.

Even if I was to get ADSL though I would of most likely have been able to get 24Mbps for 45 euro. (Telia seem to offer it as a FREE upgrade on exchanges that support it, if it's not available they give you 8mbps for the same price.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

bk wrote:

Personally I'd be more interested in seeing Eircom pushing the range of lower speed DSL (512k - 1m) out to greater distances like BT have done in the UK, so more people can avail of BB, then seeing high speeds for a small number of people.

I agree totally!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Sponge Bob wrote:

Pricing information seems to have disappeared - hows that for a response time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

What were they? lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

http://web.archive.org/web/20041029083210/http://www.hiberniaatlantic.com/hibernia/Main/Products.htm

Maybe out of date since it is from october last year, but hey I don't know where to find a more up to date version.

You gotta love the waybackmachine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

From as Low as €10 per megabit per month
    And here's me paying €48 for 24:1 contended 2meg/2meg. They're making a killing i tell ya!

At that rate could you please offer a standard rate of 512kbps upload? Thats my new target for switching ISP's. As much as i love my 2meg/2meg, and i do use the upload a lot when i'm accessing my computer from elsewhere (VNC), i really need something more reliable than IBB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

ETA on Nutley please Garfield?

The speeds and tech are great, but until they are available to more people via unbundled exchanges they are just a pipe dream (pun intended).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

At that rate could you please offer a standard rate of 512kbps upload? Thats my new target for switching ISP's. As much as i love my 2meg/2meg, and i do use the upload a lot when i'm accessing my computer from elsewhere (VNC), i really need something more reliable than IBB.

Well NTL have 3m/300k which I use for VPN, VNC and VoIP all the time and works great, much better then my old 2m/128k DSL line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

bk wrote:
    Well NTL have 3m/300k which I use for VPN, VNC and VoIP all the time and works great, much better then my old 2m/128k DSL line.
    NTL have been upgrading my area in "two-three months time" for at least the last 4 years. I've given up hope :P

128 is too much, 300k is barely enough to stream music to me (if i wanted to do that, and i do when i'm in college studying) so thats why i'd like at least 512. That gives me plenty of room to stream some music AND still have sufficient bandwidth to not kill everything else completely.

Of course, i won't be able to bittorrent and stream music with a mere 512k upstream, but thats something i can learn to deal with.

• Advertisement

NTL have been upgrading my area in "two-three months time" for at least the last 4 years. I've given up hope :P
    This is what I'm afraid of with Smart.
    I may not give up hope, knowing that the delay is likely due to Eircom's stubbornness, but others may, thereby harming Smart and thus, my fast broadband...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭Mossy

On that point, would there be an interest in a much higher speed product if there was a reasonable CAP on it (100Gb)?

Suits me, sir!

Originally Posted by GarfieldConnoll
    On that point, would there be an interest in a much higher speed product if there was a reasonable CAP on it (100Gb)?

How about making 512k reach out to 8-9km from the exchange ? will that ever be possible in Ireland ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Smart could do that reach extended ADSL with their dslams , 512k at 9 or 10 km , any reason why you have not told us about it Garfield ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

there's an ireland offline articale in this months pc live! that says basically that eircom are more or less just suing comreg every time they present a directive for eircom to follow as a standard stalling tactic. quite an interesting article actually. does she d alittle light on the subject, although we more or less knew it anyway, it's noce to see someone put it in writing for all to see.

i wonder what would happen if all irelands broadband customers filed a class action suit against eircom for stalling the broadband movement for its own gains?

EDIT + kinda OT: Just got off the phone with a very nice lady at Magnet who was very sad to have to tell me I'm just not eligible for their free trial, and it sucks. turns out it's over the phone line, so as an existing BB customer I'm screwed anyway.

Crown Alley only, so if you have your landline free and no current BB go for it!

info I got was that it would be a 30 day trial of their combo product (TV, BB & Tel) which would seem to be an ADSL2+ product as she quoted speeds of (approx) 20mbit over the existing copper line delivering all 3 products to their little set top box which then splits and feeds them out from there all at once.

4mbps/256kbps BB with a 50gb cap, 10 TV channels and free local and national landline calls (of less than 60 minutes), and the best bit for me was that over the 50gb cap extra bandwidth is only 50c per gb, which I think is great. a realistic charge for going over the limits. I wouldn't mind paying an extra €25 for going 50gb over my cap. suits me fine! would have preferred 512kbps up, but you can't have it all.

something like €85 all in for all 3 products is pretty good if you ask me.
    [align=right]13.16.137.11[/align]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Smart could do that reach extended ADSL with their dslams , 512k at 9 or 10 km , any reason why you have not told us about it Garfield ????

I think the best we've done so far is a customer in the depths of the Phoenix Park who is connected to the Crown Alley exchange. Was previously told they'd never get DSL. They're a happy Smart customer now (though it did take some technical intervention).

Garfield.

While you're online, any chance of a date for Nutley exchange please Garfield?

I think the best we've done so far is a customer in the depths of the Phoenix Park who is connected to the Crown Alley exchange. Was previously told they'd never get DSL. They're a happy Smart customer now (though it did take some technical intervention).

Garfield.

Any idea how far away from the exchange and what speed the customer got? Thanks for being open about this stuff, by the way.

Fair play to Garfield Connoll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

WizZard wrote:
    While you're online, any chance of a date for Nutley exchange please Garfield?
    I've asked for an update, don't have it yet.

Garfield.

Advertisement