Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14Mb on a copper pair

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Great stuff. Thanks!! ;)
    Will buy new line for Smart the second you go live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Blaster99 wrote:
    Any idea how far away from the exchange and what speed the customer got?

Customer getting between 350k- 500k (variable). The customer reckons they're five km from the exchange, though I don't know if that's radial distance or road distance (longer) , either way, the copper's obviously significantly longer. I've heard reference to copper being 30% longer than a radial distance, though I couldn't back that up at present. Can anyone else?

Garfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

I'm sorry if im slow here but you can get 14mb a second?? How?? will this be possible for other people? i know your an important smart employee but they surely must didnt lay all new lines straight to your house did they?
    I'm sure its not and im sorry for asking again but dennehys cross is or will be ready soon yes?
    Thanks

bingo9999 wrote:
    I'm sorry if im slow here but you can get 14mb a second?? How?? will this be possible for other people? i know your an important smart employee but they surely must didnt lay all new lines straight to your house did they?
    I'm sure its not and im sorry for asking again but dennehys cross is or will be ready soon yes?
    Thanks

It's the phone line that was in the house when we moved in. Nothing special about the line (apart from it previously failed DSL check). Smart doesn't offer a 14Mb retail offer. Dennehey's Cross is having a fibre patch panel replaced tomorrow and will/ should be live on Friday.

Garfield.

Thanks. They dont offer it as a product yeah but it is possible for them to do that? I know it wont be offered but is there much equipment of cost involved in that sort of upgrade? thanks for dennehys cross update

• Advertisement

bingo9999 wrote:
    Thanks. They dont offer it as a product yeah but it is possible for them to do that? I know it wont be offered but is there much equipment of cost involved in that sort of upgrade? thanks for dennehys cross update
    No difference in cost of equipment, it's a standard Aolynk router in my house.

Garfield.

would there be an extra cost to smart? what im getting at is what is the problem of offering it on a commercial basis?

Praetorian wrote:
    Boards
    Takeout:~ garfield$ ping www.boards.ie
    PING www.boards.ie (82.195.136.36): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.36: icmp_seq=0 ttl=53 time=21.587 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.36: icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=19.952 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.36: icmp_seq=2 ttl=53 time=20.766 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.36: icmp_seq=3 ttl=53 time=20.162 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.36: icmp_seq=4 ttl=53 time=20.508 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.36: icmp_seq=5 ttl=53 time=20.008 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.36: icmp_seq=6 ttl=53 time=20.616 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.36: icmp_seq=7 ttl=53 time=20.167 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.36: icmp_seq=8 ttl=53 time=20.526 ms
    64 bytes from 82.195.136.36: icmp_seq=9 ttl=53 time=20.013 ms
    ^C
    --- www.boards.ie ping statistics ---
    10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 19.952/20.431/21.587/0.471 ms
    Takeout:~ garfield$

Eircom
    Takeout:~ garfield$ ping www.eircom.net
    PING home.eircom.net (159.134.198.138): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 159.134.198.138: icmp_seq=0 ttl=58 time=10.267 ms
    64 bytes from 159.134.198.138: icmp_seq=1 ttl=58 time=10.348 ms
    64 bytes from 159.134.198.138: icmp_seq=2 ttl=58 time=9.629 ms
    64 bytes from 159.134.198.138: icmp_seq=3 ttl=58 time=10.589 ms
    64 bytes from 159.134.198.138: icmp_seq=4 ttl=58 time=10.239 ms
    64 bytes from 159.134.198.138: icmp_seq=5 ttl=58 time=10.600 ms
    64 bytes from 159.134.198.138: icmp_seq=6 ttl=58 time=9.900 ms
    64 bytes from 159.134.198.138: icmp_seq=7 ttl=58 time=10.623 ms
    64 bytes from 159.134.198.138: icmp_seq=8 ttl=58 time=10.512 ms
    64 bytes from 159.134.198.138: icmp_seq=9 ttl=58 time=10.384 ms
    ^C
    --- home.eircom.net ping statistics ---
    10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 9.629/10.309/10.623/0.308 ms
    Takeout:~ garfield$

Heanet
    (See attached image)

bingo9999 wrote:
    would there be an extra cost to smart? what im getting at is what is the problem of offering it on a commercial basis?

Primarily the cost of International IP transit.
    Secondly, the cost of regional backhaul (for regional exchanges).

Garfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

In Paris you can get a 8Mbps down for €15 or 20Mbps for €20 and the line rental for the phone line is only €14. See www.clubinternet.fr for more details, they also run TV and VoIP over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I've heard reference to copper being 30% longer than a radial distance, though I couldn't back that up at present. Can anyone else?

Garfield.

There is no correlation between radial and road distance cable wise . Even road distance is only accurate to a degree as the cable may not travel via the shortest road route. A duct plan is really the only accurate way to measure on paper.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

In Paris you can get a 8Mbps down for €15 or 20Mbps for €20 and the line rental for the phone line is only €14. See www.clubinternet.fr for more details, they also run TV and VoIP over it.

Remember this is Ireland!!!
    Unlike the French who take action when they get screwed over...we just sit back and take it like the idiots we are!!!

Nothing will change this year or the next...mabye in 5 years time Smart will finally be allowed to have automatic LLU processing...but not for a while!!!

Its nice to know that 5m/1m with cheap calls/tv is €20 a month in areas of France...but we must be kidding ourselves if we think that its going to be that cheap here in the next 5 years!!!!

This is Ireland...we bítch/moan but never do anything about it!!!!

Tony wrote:
    There is no correlation between radial and road distance cable wise . Even road distance is only accurate to a degree as the cable may not travel via the shortest road route. A duct plan is really the only accurate way to measure on paper.
    Tony,

Agreed that there is no correlation between radial and road distance. What I should have articulated better is that I understand that there may be an aggregate correlation between radial distance and copper length. My understanding is that this relationship is circa 30%.

Garfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Have Smart ever considered an peak/off peak service similar to that what Bulldog offer in the UK whereby customers have a 2mbps service during peak hours and this is bumped up to 4 or 6 mbps during off peak hours?

Have Smart ever considered an peak/off peak service similar to that what Bulldog offer in the UK whereby customers have a 2mbps service during peak hours and this is bumped up to 4 or 6 mbps during off peak hours?
    Not to date. Will add to list.

Garfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

And about that rathmines exchange? ETA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

zuma wrote:
    This is Ireland...we bítch/moan but never do anything about it!!!!
    then maybe we should.

maybe someoen like the guys at ireland offline could organise a rally outside a public eircom site, with banners and chanting etc. like the french would do. i know I'd go if it meant getting the message arcross that they're ripping us off and we won't stand for it any more.
    [align=right]13.16.137.11[/align]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 klorin

Hi Garfield, anything on the Terenure Exchange?
    and 4Mbit/512k capped to 50GB for a reasonably price would be very nice.

K

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

klorin wrote:
    4Mbit/512k capped to 50GB for a reasonably price would be very nice.

smart do that package already ......uncapped, I'll let you suck my last lollipop if you can find it on their website :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

They could do .. but IoffL's job is a tough one, if no complaints are ever made... I think it's kinda hard to make the point that a lot of people are dissatisfied with the upload speed, when some telco, or ComReg, or someone turns around and says "really? but we've only had 3 complaints to support that" (that's just an example to make my point, not a real event!!!!)

.cg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 n0mad

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    nomad: €700 for 100 mbit fibre in Sweeden is B/s.
    I know people on 100 mbit personally on their home lans who pay at most €80 a month.

Oh sorry... my mistake, since I wasn't even talking about the prices for residential networks.
    I was talking about business conditions.

And yes I know the prices in Sweden because I'm born and raised there ;)
    In a small town called Umeå you can have 100mbps included in the rent.
    Usually though you pay between 10 € and 40 € for it there.
    There is another company called Bredbandsbolaget (Broadbandcompany or something :P) and they charge 35 € for 10mbps (no cap) then on top of that you pay 30 € extra for 100mbps (300gb cap not enforced).

I just wish I could take my job and do it at home. Then I could have stayed there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

n0mad wrote:
    Oh sorry... my mistake, since I wasn't even talking about the prices for residential networks.
    I was talking about business conditions.

And yes I know the prices in Sweden because I'm born and raised there ;)
    In a small town called Umeå you can have 100mbps included in the rent.
    Usually though you pay between 10 € and 40 € for it there.
    There is another company called Bredbandsbolaget (Broadbandcompany or something :P) and they charge 35 € for 10mbps (no cap) then on top of that you pay 30 € extra for 100mbps (300gb cap not enforced).

I just wish I could take my job and do it at home. Then I could have stayed there ;)
    That's actually where I used to live funnily enough. Yeah if I had the choice I also would of stayed there rather than come back to Ireland. I even got offered a job there and all.

Incidentally, the company that provides the 100MBit connections in Umea I think is Bostream, check here for their 26MBitDSL service http://www.bostream.com/controller.php?action=scream, that's about 40 euro per month.

Telia also do a 24mb dsl line and I'm guessing other telcos do as well.

There's a few other companies providing 10MBit and 100MBit connections as well as far as I know.

Dunno where their fibre to the premises prices are, but as I recall, each apartment block ran its own servicec with their own server and website including providing their own webmail service. Was a MacOSX box in the case I was using, dunno if that's policy, service was transparent and unless you did a whois you didn't know it was bostream, it appeared under the name of the apartment complex.

Anyway, wanna move back there.

Oh, and don't get me started on how cheap mobile calls are.

Ah, the days of people's beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Do smart list their different packages on their site? They only seem to list one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Tony,

I understand that there may be an aggregate correlation between radial distance and copper length. My understanding is that this relationship is circa 30%.

Garfield

Perhaps 30% is an aggregate figure over an entire network but I would imagine this figure would vary wildly for each main cable. Conductor size would also have to be taken into account as this also varies to keep resistances within tolerance.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Young man with wrap around shades.....

700kbps odd upload....on an unrestricted test, seems a tad low? Aolynk (Huawei to the rest of the world!) box or copper do you reckon? That the best it will do or did you limit the upload?

Feel free not to answer loaded and evil question :)

crawler wrote:
    Young man with wrap around shades.....

700kbps odd upload....on an unrestricted test, seems a tad low? Aolynk (Huawei to the rest of the world!) box or copper do you reckon? That the best it will do or did you limit the upload?

Feel free not to answer loaded and evil question :)

There was no change to the copper OR the box, so I couldn't say either way. There was no upload limit on the port.

Garfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Hi Garfield

Just wanted to ask what the interest has been like with the trigger program on the Newlands Cross exchange. I've just started a 6 month contract with BT, but I'd like to swtich to Smart as soon as the exchange is unbundled.

Regards

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

NTL have been upgrading my area in "two-three months time" for at least the last 4 years. I've given up hope :P

lol strangely enough, they came to my area, last week, they were laying out cables, and I too have been waiting for like 4-5 years with 2-3 month time promises lol

Garfield, that's awesome speed! although more upload would be better, and 100 is quite enough.

but how much would a product like that cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

cgarvey wrote:
    They could do .. but IoffL's job is a tough one, if no complaints are ever made... I think it's kinda hard to make the point that a lot of people are dissatisfied with the upload speed, when some telco, or ComReg, or someone turns around and says "really? but we've only had 3 complaints to support that" (that's just an example to make my point, not a real event!!!!)

Case in point is the guy who spammed 160,000 mobile users and a total of 5 people made a complaint about him. Or out of the 100s of complaints about IBB a total of 10-15 made complaints when Thaed put up a thread to collate complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

crawler wrote:

Depends on the quality of the line, but the phonelines can definately handle 1Mb upload on copper when pushed, albeit maybe not a steady flat out 1Mb, but not far from it. :)

Advertisement