Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14Mb on a copper pair

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Depends on the quality of the line, but the phonelines can definately handle 1Mb upload on copper when pushed, albeit maybe not a steady flat out 1Mb, but not far from it. :)

The 719K that Garfield is getting is probable 85%(losses) of what is actually being sent.

Doing a little math I would guess that 845K was actually being sent.
    That is probable the limit for ADSL/2/2+ as we know it.

In the US ADSL is sent up to 768k(they appear not to share eircoms concerns!) and it is VERY doubtfull that upload will ever actually reach 1Mbit in real world conditions.
    The same is true for download....24Mbit ADSL will probable max out at just over 20Mbit.

Garfield has certainly made progress since showing off 6Mbit download speeds 6 months ago and Smart should be capable of 20Mbit in another 6months or so.

Though it will be YEARS before Ireland ever gets 20Mbit ADSL!!!

All in all 719k is around the best possible upload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

I think the best we've done so far is a customer in the depths of the Phoenix Park who is connected to the Crown Alley exchange. Was previously told they'd never get DSL. They're a happy Smart customer now (though it did take some technical intervention).

Garfield.

:eek: the prez should make a great reference customer for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

damien.m wrote:
    the guy who spammed 160,000 mobile users
    Yeah, but you've got to love his website. http://www.irelandsfirstastronaut.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

what is the max bandwidth for a copper line in a region of.....let's say 300 meters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

CyberGhost wrote:
    what is the max bandwidth for a copper line in a region of.....let's say 300 meters?

Check out http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/graph/index.htm

Garfield.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

weh weh, could you respond to my PM Garfield :(

Thanks Garfield! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

14 meg, thats great, can you give me a date on the letterkenny exchange, the date keeps getting put back and back.... people are crying out for an alternative in letterkenny, giving IBB headstart, and they arent much of an alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

If you want one of your subscribers to test out a 14Mb connection on an ongoing basis just give me a shout, happy to volunteer. It might just be a fluke with your exact location, best to check out a few different people ;)

Also seconding the vote for a second product with 6-10Mb downspeed and 512-768 upseed. Would really show up all the bitstream providers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Hmmmm.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

I second the motion for Newlands Cross Mike was talking about. It's just recently been enabled by Eircom, so there is still ALOT of untapped business for you there. Densely populated area, Clondalkin Village and its surrounds. Even alot of business premises in that area. Registered my interest when Nangor got enabled

Any ideas when it will come in?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Garfield - Any idea on when the Tyrrelstown (Dublin 15) exchange will be taken on by Smart? I've signed up as initially it said May/June but now it's just part of your plans. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Hi Garfield,

Any update on the swords exchange? Is it gonna happen?

pugleon wrote:
    I second the motion for Newlands Cross Mike was talking about. It's just recently been enabled by Eircom, so there is still ALOT of untapped business for you there. Densely populated area, Clondalkin Village and its surrounds. Even alot of business premises in that area. Registered my interest when Nangor got enabled

Any ideas when it will come in?

pugleon, Garfield told me that Newlands Cross exchange is on the wrong side of the road or something and they'll have to do a major upgrade there, anyways don't except anything any time soon... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

has the lucan ballydowd exchange been taken on by smart yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

excellent, so dennehys cross and wellington road are ready to accept orders now ? :-) great, will have to get onto it soon hehe :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lordluxor

Garfield,

Any news on when the Shannon Town exchange will be unbundled?

Thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ebooborg

ive been with just about every dsl provider in ireland (netsource,utv,eircom :(,esat twice)

now i got NTL and ill never look back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Why do these threads always end up with people asking Garfield when a certain exchange is being enabled..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

exactly J_T_G, why dont someone just make a sticky with a excel spreadsheet with all the exchanges in ireland listed.
    On the list they can show which Telco has the exchange enabled. When future exchanges plan to be upgraded and any other relevant info. I would save pages and pages of meanginless threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=142107

That list can be updated if someone wants to PM CGarvey or Seamus with the updated Smart details.

Advertisement