Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F.E.A.R. thoughts

Options
  • 30-08-2005 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭

Anyone played the F.E.A.R. single player demo?

Have to say I haven't had the bejeepers scared out of me like that since system shock 2.

Very cool game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Ye, its savage alright, the AI seems very good. the way they flank you and hop walls and hide. When is the full game out?

I played the game while in my sitting room with all my housemates watching TV, and I bloody screamed like a little girl when I went to go down those stairs........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Yep the
    ladder scene and bit in the corridor
    were excellent. I haven't seen an in-game cutscene thing like that done so well since the accident in half-life.

On the downside though, the control never felt quite right, maybe it's something they'll tweak before release, or maybe I just need to play with mouse sensitivity. Either way, I think I'll be picking it up on release day. The story/scary bits look too good to miss out on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ditto on the release date thing.

I was well impressed. looks to be one of the best games so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

it is good alright , looking forward to playing the full thing ! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Extremely impressed by this game. In fact if the quality of the game is as good as it is in the demo the whole way through this game will have a great chance of replacing Resident Evil 4 as my game of the year. I've no problems with the controls. In fact I think they are fantastic and love the handling of all the weapons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

18/10/2005 - North America
    21/10/2005 - Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Well having seen so much hype about it I was sceptical playing it for fear of it being a Forbidden Siren/Project Zero/ Ringu "evil little long haired girl" rip off but the way they've camoflaged the jumps in the game is inspired. I really didnt expect the aforementioned spoiler and it had me creeped out looking over my shoulder for the rest of the demo.

Have to get the full thing and play it late at night with the lights off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

I don't like horror movies and i ****ing hate getting a fright (being made jump, i mean). Little girls in red dresses aren't my thing anyway..

Dissapointed that i won't be able to try it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The real thing that got to me about the demo was its length. I could have downloaded the 11 minute walkthrough video for a sixth of the size and seen the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

Its the most refreshing fps i in a while and just in time for my new comp.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

The real thing that got to me about the demo was its length. I could have downloaded the 11 minute walkthrough video for a sixth of the size and seen the same thing.

You could bu then you wouldnt have played the game and you wouldnt be able to form the same opinions of it. Its a fairly typically sized download and it certainly packs in the quality.

Watching a walkthrough isnt the same as experiencing the AI for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I have to agree with the complaints about the controls, they just didnt feel right to me, and i thought the weapon models, (esp the shotgun) was laughable. Other than that it seemed good, probably pick it up wenits released.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Spent ages downloading it (Stupid Fileplanet) but my GFX card just couldnt handle it, oh well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Egads that was amazing... a definite step forward

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Excellent demo and game. The ai is great and the hard difficulty setting is definitly challenging unlike hard in hl2. It's also genuinely scarey and messed up at times unlike doom3. The gun models and the control system + speed, bobbing ect could do with some tweaking though. It's not the most comfortable control system in the world. The weapons do pack a punch at least.

Advertisement