Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it true?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

kodute wrote:
    turn the contemplative centre into a chipper
    :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

hopefully now it will be back to the way it was, youd have to queue to get in there most night...

Oh joy, queing, my favourite activity

I fail to see whats so great about that tbh, nostalgia for queing, what next :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

It can't really become anything other than another bar. I always preferred the scholars to the stbles because there was a much more relaxed athmosphere in there most nights. Presumably if the scholars was taking business from the stables it meant that enough people didn't like queuing most nights for a packed bar with no seats to create business in a new one.

Anyone ever been inside the contemplative centre? Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

yeah went in there once, to have a peek around, there were people drumming in there. it wasnt contemplative of them i contemplated to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I think i was in there. Myself and another person were sent up to fix a printer there, and i was there for about half an hour. The people in there seemed to be busy doing nothing, but one worker started going mad because there were no cups for the water cooler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I don't think a night club would work, its probably not big enough. What they'll probably do is move the bar to the opposite end of the room and charge double for a pint to pay for it......just like they did with the cardio fitness center in the arena

Zapho wrote:
    ......just like they did with the cardio fitness center in the arena

woah didn't know that, might start getting drunk in the arena instead then! ;)
    Oh yeah drunk swimming, now THATS a safe activity! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Thats not what I meant! (Although, it would be funny!) No in the arena they closed the gym for a week for refurbishment, but all they did was move everything around! There's nothing new there! Isn't that mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Oh gods this gets better and better doesn't it. The Stables has this bizarre "Boxed in" feel to it, there's something so much more natural feeling about the Scholars.

And there's nobody that's going to do anything. People are just going to sit in doing **** all and not give a **** about going out anymore and the SU will be even more dead and even less to do and there will still be no cute openminded bisexual goth girls for me to go out with :(

I hate entropy. And all that.

I think apathy is the word you were looking for :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Apathy is the apparent cause, entropy is the apparent result :/

Rozie wrote:
    Oh gods this gets better and better doesn't it. The Stables has this bizarre "Boxed in" feel to it, there's something so much more natural feeling about the Scholars.

And there's nobody that's going to do anything. People are just going to sit in doing **** all and not give a **** about going out anymore and the SU will be even more dead and even less to do and there will still be no cute openminded bisexual goth girls for me to go out with :(

I hate entropy. And all that.
    :rolleyes:

In fairness what the hell are you talking about?? Move this post to PI if you want, and stop giving out about other people.

Back on topic, a second pub is necessary on campus, if not ill just set up one myself! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

kodute wrote:
    Back on topic, a second pub is necessary on campus, if not ill just set up one myself! :D

It's called The Sports Bar and it's beside the Arena...

But yeah I agree it's a shame that the Scholars has closed, but from what I can remember from last year, it seemed fairly dead about 4 nights out of 7 so there is no way a pub of its size employing that many people could afford to stay open with such low numbers.

Has anyone heard anything about what will come to replace it?

gaf1983 wrote:
    It's called The Sports Bar and it's beside the Arena...

But yeah I agree it's a shame that the Scholars has closed, but from what I can remember from last year, it seemed fairly dead about 4 nights out of 7 so there is no way a pub of its size employing that many people could afford to stay open with such low numbers.

Has anyone heard anything about what will come to replace it?

Empty four nights outta seven, and thats how I liked it :)

Heard it will be open under different owners after christmas...or something.

Will have to try out the sports bar, And the hurlers too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

what i heard was that the people who have the lease for the bar do not want to re-open it. The lease runs out in january so if someone takes out a new lease on the place then, it will re-open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Stimulant

Heard they are making the scholars into a more Dolans style place.Badly needed.Acts every night of the week......

It wud be great to have a complete alternative from the stables.Stables is really the lodge in disguise.Not saying that is a bad thing.
    and who goes to the sports bar to drink, bar maybe wen matches are being played.

Taco fries will be missed...................lucky La cucina is the best place to eat around college......

It was confirmed last night at the c&s meeting, the place wont be opening until 2nd sem at the EARLIEST, it might remain closed for the whole year if they dont find someone in time. :eek:

boo hiss *random expletive* etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

stables hasn't been that bad so far *cough*

ok, ok, I lie :(

/me misses said Scholars.

guess we'll wait for the 4th ed of an focail to know more :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

righteo, ye olde curiosity-ridden students:

preview of what will be said in an focal (im an insider...)

to cut a long story short (it'll be c.1000 words in an focal, wk 4):

scholars went into debt, closed its doors at the start of the summer and it was decided by the club's management committee not to reopen. the committee is now inviting new operators to put forward an offer of tender for the place, which runs its contract with Dolan's until 31 January. As a result, the very earliest that a new operator can start...um..operating is second semester. Have not yet heard whether or not there will be major changes, but i imagine something will have to happen, else it's just the same all over again. there you go. this is all true, with verified sources. end of story. amen.

• Advertisement

I think I have a cunning plan...

lets get a Boards.ie UL consortium to put forward an offer. Surely it can't be that much for us students... :)

i've €5 left this week so you can have that..........................

.......................will that get me claim to one of those comfy leather seats?????

as the first to join my consortium, yes, you have yore pick of the leather seats.

yeah, baby!! ok.........methinks i'll take one that's on your left as you walk towards an phluais. good, central viewing position plus neither too close nor too far from bar. €5 goes a long way.

Can any one explain how that place was loosing money?

Sure, it was never as packed as the stables, but i'll wager it was more packed then 80% of pubs across the country

it's simple maths peter_son...

so simple I'm not going to divulge them to you ya m00k :p

oooh oooh oooh I know! I know! pick me! pick me! PICK ME!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Has anyone noticed the poster in the Window beside the Scholars that says its re-opening next week. When I read it first I thought WOHOOO!!! but now im getting the feeling its a piss take cause there is no posters in the windows of the Scholars, it isnt stamped by the ULSU and they are offering a free shot to everyone that comes and cause of our "brilliant" alcohol policy thats not allowed is it. Has anyone seen the poster

No, haven't seen it.

• Advertisement

I am delighted to confirm that YES the scholars will be opening again next week. Contract negotiations have been finalized, the operator has agreed to open the pub pending a review meeting scheduled for the new year! oh and the free shots plan doesn't go against the alcohol policy, since its not the SU giving out the shots! lol

YEAH!! WAHOO! taco fries are back!!! :D:D:D

Advertisement