Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless security

• 30-08-2005 2:15pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just have BT BB setup to both a pc and laptop -both wireless.

How do I go about setting up security on these two machines.

It's a Netgear DG834G modem router.

Any help would be great !

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Karl, have a look at previous posts in this forum re: wireless security.
    theres a whole bunch of great links and advice.
    This has been discussed to death ;)
    Perhaps a mod could stickie a wireless security thread?
    Although I don't think theres active mods on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you don't have the router directly connected to either machine via an Ethernet cable, you may want to do so before continuing. This will ensure that you won't accidently lose the connection should you try to do it wirelesly.

In the Netgear admin page, open up Wireless Settings.

Change the SSID value from the default value (I have it set to the same as my computer workgroup name).

Pick a security option. You will need to use this exact same option when configuring your PC and laptop's wireless settings.

If you picked WEP, you will need to set the authentication type (default atuomatic) encryption strength (default 64-bit), and create a passphrase and 4 possible keys (this depends on the encryption strength - click on the words "WEP Key" in the config page for the help details).

If you picked WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key), you will also need to configure a Network Key. This is required to be between 8 and 63 characters.

Choosing WPA-802.1x requires you to have a Radius server installed on your network, and each user must have an account on it. Personally, I wouldn't bother going down this route for a home LAN.

Advertisement