Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routers with IBB?

• 30-08-2005 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, i'm after placing an order with irishbroadband for satalite bb, its the 2meg connection for E40, not a bad price i might add and no cap! Excellent.

I'm wondering if their satalite service supports home networking thou, i have a Netgear DG834 router and in the congif screen it will ask what network am i on, PPPoA or PPPoE. Is satalite different to ordinary telephone broadband in any way when it comes to router config?

Also if anyone has any expeirence dealing with IBB then i would be interested in hearing some feedback

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

It's wireless internet, not satalite. Anyway, to answer your question, yes you can use a router.

I've used a Dlink 604, Dlink 824VUP+ and an Eicon one over the recent months. All work fine.

IBB will give you an Ethernet network cable to plug in. You can either plug it into your computer [not recommended] or a router. The choice is yours.

However, they will not do this for you. They will hook it up to their laptop, show you it working, then leave. They will refuse to hook up your equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Linksys WRT54G works a treat. Think I set it to PPP.... Have to check that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

ok thanks lads. Whats their service like?
    I have Digiweb at the moment and they are messing me about since i tried to get my bb active at a new address(going on nearly 2months now! without bb), thats the only problem i have with Digiweb)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

IBB is a bad choice right now. A quick scan through this forum should confirm that for you.

Secondly, IBB don't do satellite from what I'm aware.

Any standard router that has a RJ45 WAN port for Cable broadband should be ok. I use http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=302154 myself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Also if anyone has any expeirence dealing with IBB then i would be interested in hearing some feedback

Cheers

lmfao!! :eek: have you not read any of the post about this so called company? :D

dude, do your research prior to ordering is advised! lots of posts on Boards about them!

............but to answer your question its a fix IP service so you will need to confirgure the DNS settings they give you in your router! I used a Netgear 624 108g router when I had IBB and it was fine!

• Advertisement

right so IBB are totall Sh*te then! great

Are there any good BB providers in the Waterford City area. Not Eircom, we can't get smart until the new year either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

I use zyxel G-2000 4 port switch, wireless router, firewall. I got it off these guys www.a1computers.ie.

No complaints. now IBB on the otherhand :mad: :mad:

right so IBB are totall Sh*te then! great

Are there any good BB providers in the Waterford City area. Not Eircom, we can't get smart until the new year either

are NTL/Chorus in your neck of the woods? give em a lash

Not everyone has probs. I don't!

Just some areas are a bit sh1te.

yeah ntl are in my location. The only thing i would be concerned about is using a router with ntl broadband. Do they support routers?

• Advertisement

biggrin.gif
    yeah ntl are in my location. The only thing i would be concerned about is using a router with ntl broadband. Do they support routers?

confused.gif why concerned? they offer the best speeds

and yes they do support routers like most other BB providers (if its tech support, NTL do not provide 3rd party technical help, but setting up a router is a peice of pish),

also there is rumours they will be supplying free ones soon!

thanks drapper, i have a netgear router at home, i suppose the ntl bb won't work thru that will it?

thanks drapper, i have a netgear router at home, i suppose the ntl bb won't work thru that will it?

once its a cable and dsl router Yes! but if its only a DSL router you've a problem !

what model is it? I've a WG624 and it works perfect.

irlrobins wrote:
    Linksys WRT54G works a treat. Think I set it to PPP.... Have to check that...

Actaully its a static ip so just choose static IP from the options and enter the ip address, gateway etc that IBB provide.....

Drapper wrote:
    once its a cable and dsl router Yes! but if its only a DSL router you've a problem !

what model is it? I've a WG624 and it works perfect.

Its the Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Modem Router

no use with NTL !

:-)

frigg, thanks for all your help anyway Drapper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 idj

Hi Rollo

I know a few lads in town (Waterford) who have the ntl 3 meg Service.
    No complaints. You should check it out

IDJ

frigg, thanks for all your help anyway Drapper

heres a tip:- go to the boards trading section and put your ADSL router up for trade for a Cable router, you might be lucky!

some people moving from area to area might be willing to swop!

Thanks lads, i can't get NTL bb in my area :-(

however, i contacted IBB today to enquir about reports of poor connections and stuff, they said they had problems with there 1meg service but with their brezze 2meg bb they have had no problems as the 2meg service runs on a higher freq.

Is this true or is the guy just trying to win me over?

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, i can't get NTL bb in my area :-(

however, i contacted IBB today to enquir about reports of poor connections and stuff, they said they had problems with there 1meg service but with their brezze 2meg bb they have had no problems as the 2meg service runs on a higher freq.

Is this true or is the guy just trying to win me over?

foob foob lmao, buddy read the threads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

Drapper wrote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rollo Tamasi

no use with NTL !

:-)

Or with IBB either.

Advertisement