Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stiff doorframe

Options
  • 30-08-2005 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭

I drive a '99 Punto, and recently, the doors have been stiff to open. Its not the hinges, but the rubber lining around the frame of the door. Whenever the weather is hot, the door just seems to stick to this. Is there any sort of fluid or treatment so that the door wont stick?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Rubbing some vasoline into it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Doorframes are meant to be stiff.

Vaseline probably does bad things to rubber.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I reckon he means sticky rather than stiff, had the same thing in a Colt once. If so, Auto Glym Vinyl and Rubber Care will fix it right up, and give him lovely shiny rubbers into the bargain! So to speak.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I'd wipe them with rubbing alcohol or plain soap and water, then maybe powder them with cheap talc. Id not recomment a petrolium product, as it may cause the rubber foam to deteriorate even faster, so while Vasaline may be good in the short term it may be a disaster eventually, plus it will collect grit/dust.
    otherwise, if they are coming apart, replace them, cause in a few years they will be gone completely and you cannot get a replacement and probably not pass NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Yeah, theyre sticky alright. If you pull the handle, you have to get a grip on the doorframe and pull that along with the handle to open it up sometimes.

Ill try the soapy water and talc option. Cheers.

• Advertisement

Forgot; clean the door metal area that mates/meets with the seal with in the same manner. I have found tree sap gunk to stick the rubber to the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

when mine gets stiff, I always rub vaseline on it, er :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Take a look at this - http://www.holtsauto.com/ and search for Holts Rubber & Nylon Lubricant under the products section. I use this all the time on seals and window rubbers and its great. I buy it from Calbro in Galway but you should be able to get it from any decent auto factor.

Any silicone lubricant will do - find anything with dimethicone (apart from hair conditioner) and rub a light smear on.

'c

stratos wrote:
    when mine gets stiff, I always rub vaseline on it, er :eek:

Short term relief I tell you. :D

Take a look at this - http://www.holtsauto.com/ and search for Holts Rubber & Nylon Lubricant under the products section. .....
    'c

Sounds good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yeah after a while it goes hard again. :(

Advertisement