Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is interested in an investigation?

• 30-08-2005 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭

Okay, I'm arranging an investigation for people to go on in September and I'm curious to see if anyone is interested/able to come. I'm aiming for the weekend of the 17th & 18th of September to go over (I've got to talk to the owners first), though if it happens that the following weekend is more preferable, I'll arrange for that contingency too. Anyway, after this poll, I'll be making an additional poll to talk about getting there, and seeing where everyone is based, as I appriciate that not everyone is from Dublin (hell, I'm no longer living in Ireland!). Anyway, if you have any questions, comments, concerns, etc. please feel free to ask me.

The location by the way, is Charleville Forest castle , which is in Tullamore, County Offaly which no doubt you have seen mentioned in past threads. Anyway, at the moment, I have 2 definates currently, and I need to ask the other people involved, which totals 5, so anything after that I'll be adding to the totals.

Would you be up for an investigation on the weekend of the 17th/18th of September? 12 votes

Yes I would.
    0% 0 votes
    No, but I'd be up for the following weekend (24/25)
    58% 7 votes
    I can't make either dates, but I'm interested in future investigations.
    25% 3 votes
    Other answer (please post below)
    16% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Jesus Christ I'd love this sort of thing but unfort I can't go. No way of getting there.
    So what do you do there, sorry I'm new to all this but i love the Paranormal.
    Maybe i'm all confused on what this is. Is the place haunted or what?

http://www.ghastlyghosthunter.com/Haunted_Charleville_Forest_Castle.html mad crazy. If i've my car working I might join but do you have to be some expert or something? Its all new to me, didn't know people around Ireland done this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Other for me, definitly interested, but not sure yet if I'll be around that weekend.

What kind of equiptment would be needed, I'm trying to think of anything I can contribute to the investigation (as opposed to the obvious personal stuff like a sleeping bag).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Webmonkey wrote:
    Jesus Christ I'd love this sort of thing but unfort I can't go. No way of getting there.
    So what do you do there, sorry I'm new to all this but i love the Paranormal.
    Maybe i'm all confused on what this is. Is the place haunted or what?

Indeed, the place is quite active. Well, what we do there is investigate the place for paranormal activity.
    http://www.ghastlyghosthunter.com/Haunted_Charleville_Forest_Castle.html mad crazy. If i've my car working I might join but do you have to be some expert or something? Its all new to me, didn't know people around Ireland done this.

You don't need to be an expert, but obviously experience does help, but it isn't required. Interest in the paranormal is good enough. The PRAI has done this place for investigation over the past year. I was a member of the PRAI then, though these days, I'm somewhat freelance - I'm sort of a member of a group in the UK, though not a full member.

With regards to what you said Steven you can use many different things on the invest... I'll put up a list of what I've used, thought of using or seen in use.

Film camera (APS)
    Digital Camera
    Compass
    2-way radios
    EMF Meter
    Video Camera
    Dictaphone, or some recording equipment
    Batteries - always a must have!
    Torches
    Laptops
    Canum
    pens, pencils and paper

The list is somewhat endless to a degree. If you (or anyone else) have anything they think may serve a use on an investigation, post it here and I'll tell you how it could be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Bad news ..... but not the end of the world!

Sorry Kennett but seems the weekend of the 17th/18th doesnt work for me (mum's 60th) but the 24th/25th does (but i didnt think this was an options originally?)

How badly does this screw things up and how badly will i have to be beaten?

6th

Screw it, count me in, I'll make other plans around it. As long as we can sort out which weekend it's going to be soonish, count me in for either. I don't think I can change my vote for the poll though, so keep me in mind when looking at the numbers.

• Advertisement

Same here. I'm going to try my best to get there. It would be a sweet experience :D

dublin6th wrote:
    How badly does this screw things up and how badly will i have to be beaten?

It doesn't screw that much up really.. just means things will be a bit tight for me, but it's managable. I deliberately witheld voting for the very reason that something like this would come up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

Ok guys, i'll bring the spectro-visors. Are there going to be many ghosts here or what? Like should I bring my proton packs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 themurt

As a Tullamore resident and big up for this sort of thing, you can definately count me in!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I'm interested! I can't give a definite yes to those dates yet, but I assume you'll be going down Saturday during the day, staying the night, and then leaving on Sunday? This could be really interesting...

If I do go, I can take a video camera and high quality digital camera (Nikon D100) - they aren't mine but I can get the loan of them.

• Advertisement

what is the limited amount of people able to come. I've 2 friends that are interested coming also.

ok so the count so far might look like this?:

Kennett + 4
    Webmonkey + 2
    Stevenmu
    Themurt
    Dagon
    6th (me)

Thats 12?

So Kennett is it looking more like the 17th or 24th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm interested but have no idea how to get there. I'd be bringing one other if I was coming. Is 14 just plain old too much for an investigation?

Zillah wrote:
    I'm interested but have no idea how to get there. I'd be bringing one other if I was coming. Is 14 just plain old too much for an investigation?
    hi Zillah, where bouts are you. What do you mean by "Is 14 just plain old...."

South Dublin.

"Is 14 just plain old too many..."

I mean, will it be too crowded and we'll be getting in each others way and we'll be thinking we see/hear something but its only each other.

Seems like a big enough place to slpit into smaller groups, am southside too (tallaght) so you could ditch the car and just get the train (details above). I drive but in this case i just dont want the hassle.

Kennneth .... how big is the actual investigation area?

6th

dublin6th wrote:
    ok so the count so far might look like this?:

Kennett + 4
    Webmonkey + 2
    Stevenmu
    Themurt
    Dagon
    6th (me)

Thats 12?

Add another one for the Cork folk, and that's 13, plus anyone else interested.
    So Kennett is it looking more like the 17th or 24th?

Well, at the moment, the majority is for the initial weekend (4), though I'm guessing a some people want to change from that to the 24/25, though only 1 voted there. 3 people voted other.

Summary of the statistics:

17/18 - 4
    24/25 - 1
    Other - 3
    No Interest - 0

If you previously voted any of the above, and wish to change, please do tell me, as I have yet to book my flight over. I'm taking the weekend with the most votes.

dublin6th wrote:
    Kennneth .... how big is the actual investigation area?

Hmm... I'm not actually too sure. It is fairly big, as the castle itself has about 60-something rooms, but not all of them are available to go to. The castle has a courtyard and a livery, though that isn't owned by the castle. I'm guessing that 14 is close reaching the limit of the castle, really. I can't tell for certain, however. Provided people aren't noisy, things shouldn't be too bad. I think 16 would be about the absolute maximum I'd recommend (4 groups of 4). I hadn't thought that this would have gotten so many!

I voted the 17th but now can only make the 24th. so thats one change.
    Stevenmu, themurt, dagon, zillah, webmonkey what about you guys, which dates?

6th

I'll manually update the poll then as I get updates, seeing as it's thrown out of whack, unless the mods want to change it?

• Advertisement

I don't mind when, but with college starting, later rather than sooner would be best.

Yeah, 24th would be good I'd say.

24th would suit me a bit better but will hopefully be able to go 17/18 if it goes ahead that date.

ok so looks like 24th suits me, Dagon, Zillah & Webmonkey (& Co.)

Either is good for me, the 24th being slightly better, but not much difference either way.

Okay, so it looks like that it'll be the 24th/25th then. :)

I'm going to have to wait a while before booking my tickets, but I'm booking for that weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭jptk

count me in! ill go whenever :D

I'm going to have to wait a while before booking my tickets, but I'm booking for that weekend.

Yeah, so what is the story with that? Do you mean train tickets or do they charge people into their castle...?

No charge into the castle for this, Kennett means his plane tickets ..... he's further to come than most .... & he arranges it! ... give me a K ...."K" .... give me a E .. "E" ....etc. (you get the idea)

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote:
    Yeah, so what is the story with that? Do you mean train tickets or do they charge people into their castle...?

Well, usually you need to pay overnight, but you can do manual labour in exchange. On the plus side, it does let you get used to the castle grounds.

And yes, I have plane tickets to order, as I come from accross the sea ;)

Kennett wrote:
    Well, usually you need to pay overnight, but you can do manual labour in exchange. On the plus side, it does let you get used to the castle grounds.

And yes, I have plane tickets to order, as I come from accross the sea ;)

I see...

So which are we planning on?

I'd say the manual labour method would be best...

Kennett wrote:
    I'd say the manual labour method would be best...

So, we arive at some stage during the day, work (gardening...?) for the day, investigate at night, and go home in the morning?

Also, how much is the train likely to be?

Zillah wrote:
    So, we arive at some stage during the day, work (gardening...?) for the day, investigate at night, and go home in the morning?

Essentially, yes. I'm kind of mimicking the PRAI on this front.
    Also, how much is the train likely to be?

It'll cost about 27 Euro, I think.

Sounds fine to me. This is going to be really interesting... looking forward to it! And yes, I think manual work will definitely help us to become more familiar with the quite large grounds of the castle.

By the way Kennett, will I need to bring a digital camera or are a few available already?

• Advertisement

Dagon wrote:
    By the way Kennett, will I need to bring a digital camera or are a few available already?

I expect that people will be bringing their own digital cameras, however, feel free to bring your own. I'd personally recommend checking to see if it can take decent pictures in low light areas. I'm thinking of bringing along a normal APS camera too, to see how things go.

Dagon wrote:
    Sounds fine to me. This is going to be really interesting... looking forward to it! And yes, I think manual work will definitely help us to become more familiar with the quite large grounds of the castle.

As well as have a period to get to know each other. A nice precurssor to wandering around in th dark...

Zillah wrote:
    As well as have a period to get to know each other. A nice precurssor to wandering around in th dark...

That's especially important, as you may be working with each other in the future.

Am I to take it then that there would be some kind of facilities at the castle ? A shower would be pretty nice after a hard days work in the sun (hopefully). Drinking water and toilets could be usefull too.

I certainly know there are toilets and drinking water. I'm fairly positive there is a shower as well.

• Advertisement

Are there any dangerous entites we should be aware of when wandering around this castle?? :eek:

yeah.....me!

Actually my main focus will be harriet but on that note Kennett who are the non-voting residence?

Oh goody now I know theres someone called Harriet. Don't tell me any more!

Unless of course there's anything to be worried about, like the supposed Elemental in Leap Castle. Christ that thing scared the **** out of me in a documentary that I saw.

If I recall, Harriet (Harriot?) isn't around at the moment, though there are other spirits around the castle. And really, the entities in this castle are fine for the most part, provided you don't upset them.

Kennett wrote:
    If I recall, Harriet (Harriot?) isn't around at the moment, though there are other spirits around the castle. And really, the entities in this castle are fine for the most part, provided you don't upset them.

I dont understand "isn't around at the moment" ... she gone on holidays?

Does anyone know who the other spirits are in the house or what has been seen where?

6th

As far as I know, according to a friend of mine who is psychic, she isn't around as at one time, the enviornment of the castle became too hostile for her. I can elaborate for you via pm or email if you like?

That sounds quite intriguing Kennett, I'm sure there is an interesting story behind it.

In any case, I don't there is any shortage of paranormal activity within this particular castle. In fact, one group even reported a spectre who swooped down across the driveway that leads to the castle:
    http://www.ghastlyghosthunter.com/Haunted_Charleville_Forest_Castle.html

Another brief report:
    "My name is Jill Benes, and this Wednesday, Oct. 24th, my family will be on Fox Family's Scariest Places on Earth at Charleville Castle. When we were there, my brother looked extensively for evidence but found none. There were certain things that could not be explained, such as a feeling that something was behind you and then having your family member scream for you to look out, a strange human shaped shadow in the dark. It was definitely the most creepy place I have ever been, and incredibly cold since we were there in the first week of March, actually the night before the Ulrich's went, however their's was aired first. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, but honestly, we looked for evidence while we were there and found none. Hope you watch the show, I know I can't wait to see it. As they say in Ireland, "Cheers", Jill"

Taken from : http://www.castles.org/qa/messages/1257.html

Kennett wrote:
    As far as I know, according to a friend of mine who is psychic, she isn't around as at one time, the enviornment of the castle became too hostile for her. I can elaborate for you via pm or email if you like?

Actually she's my main reason for going, i'm not sure if i'm capable but i'd like to help her move on for good. I cant help feeling that alot of investigators take the stance similar to a journalist in a wartorn country, were they watch and report but will not step in if they have the power to help, its not always the case but i'd like to try help even if it means taking the "haunted" from the "haunted castle".

I plan on spending alot of time on the stairs, and will be bringing a present for her in the hope of creating a warm atmosphere and try to make contact.

I'd love to hear what you know Ken so mail me with the info.

Equipment i'll be bring is:

Sony PowerShot Digital camera
    Sony TRV14 miniDv digicam (with night vision)
    Crystal
    2x Walki-Talkies
    Pentax Manual SLR K1000 (classic kit)
    Candles (careful when playing with fire kids)

6th

Actually, I should prolly ask... Does anyone have any specific concerns that may not be covered here? Or better yet, if you want to ask me a question directly or the question is a bit personal, you can private message or email me and I'll answer ASAP.

So can we get one of the Marvellous Mods to change the poll results?

Also on that note does the wonderful (and unquestionably fem) Solas want to help me change my avatar to something dat i dont have the choice of on here?

So who are the definates for the 24/25?

So getting the trian with me from Heuston at 11.25 on 24th?

6th

• Advertisement
Advertisement