Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bit of advice?

• 30-08-2005 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get broadband in my area. Whats on offer is 512kb/512kb with a 24:1 contension ratio. What kind of download speeds could I expect from that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

At best, maybe 50KB to 60KB per second. Compared to maybe 4KB per second over 56K dial up.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Been a while since I had 512.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Zapho wrote:
    I'm looking to get broadband in my area. Whats on offer is 512kb/512kb with a 24:1 contension ratio. What kind of download speeds could I expect from that?

This sounds like a Wireless connection...so honestly your guess is as good as mine!!!

When DSL was 512k...I got ~54KBytes/s.

But this connection of yours could go from 64KBYtes/s to as low as you dread!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Thats what I was afraid of. Unfortunately its either this wireless connection or I have to stick to my dialup line which is a massive 24.2kbps!

Zapho wrote:
    Thats what I was afraid of. Unfortunately its either this wireless connection or I have to stick to my dialup line which is a massive 24.2kbps!

Take it easy!!!

If they have a clue of what to do then you should get 50KB-60KB a second!

For me a "working" 512/512 is better than a 2048/128...and I'd swap my 2Mbit for your connection in a second if I could be assured of 50KB-60KB a second upload!!!!

Wait until your connected before you get gloomy!

Yes....yes! Ok, you've convinced me. Well to be honest, I'm paying maybe €30 a month anyway for dial up so I might as well give it a shot. 50k a sec would be so sweet though! Also there's no download limit. I'm getting excited now!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

Is it Ripwave from IBB..if so it's 512k/128 not 512/512....already talked to IBB about this and they said it was a mistake...ok for downloads...better off going with EsatBT..IBB are the absolute pits for trying to get customer service...at this very moment I'm being transferred all over the place and no one is helping me..they suck

No its an independant small company in my area called Premier Broadband. They operate from Tipperary. They definately do offer 512/512

512k upload would be so sweet!!!

I've been uploading files to a FTP server over the last day at 13-14KByte/s....so fúcking slow all because eircom is shítting itself over the threat of VoIP!!!!!

Zapho,
    Your wireless operator will provide a good service as they are a small local outfit and word of mouth rules in these situations as they have no advertising budget!
    Installation costs will come in at a couple of hundred, I guess, but the high upload is more than worth it.

Advertisement