Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCB on two cars?

Options
  • 30-08-2005 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

You can't use your NCB on more than one car or so I've been told today.
    e.g. I have say 4yr NCB on my car and I'm insured with QD - I want to get another car so I can't use my NCB so I start from scratch - right?
    I decide to go with say Hibernian for the second car and next year I have a 1yr NCB with Hibs and 5yr with QD.

If I have a crash in the Hibs car then that obviously doesn't affect the QD NCB or my premium with them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Most insurance companies have a clause saying you are insured to drive any car you don't own...............................................
    Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Hmm, wonder if I can put one of the cars in my cat's name....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I put a car into my mums name, she never drives or has a DL. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Lastest thing on QD policy driver is insured to drive any car he/she doesn't own.
    Once the car insured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Does it actually say the car must already be insured? Are you sure?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This was discussed before Mr. Bond. Some policies state that the car must be insured, others like my own don't. You need to check the fine print.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Are you saying that i could go out and buy a second car (car b), and drive it around using my insurance for car A? How would you go about taxing it as you would need to have your insurance details for that specific car to tax it in the tax office, and also that i could insure say a 1.1 and get a 2.0 size car as my second car and drive around with it using the 1.1 insurance on it (i dont think so)!

My husband was going to get a second car for work (a van) and was told that if he wanted to get insurance for it he would have to start at the bottom of the ladder with his insurance for that car and that his insurance on the car he owns would not be affected in any way as it would be a separate insurance. The cheapest way out of it they said was for myself to get insurance on it as at the time i didnt have my own car and then he would be a name driver on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

Its true,

I have 2 vehicles and I had to start the whole NCB thing again on the second vehicles policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

stratos wrote:
    Most insurance companies have a clause saying you are insured to drive any car you don't own...............................................
    Think about it.

Okay - I've thought about it - but I don't geddit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

On my insurance as im sure it is the same for most others is the you are insured to drive someone else's car (on full licence) once you have full permission from the owner and it is taxed and insured by that person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Thanks!
    I was thinking of getting a second cheap small van for going to work etc. and keep the diesel alcoholic 4X4 for evening/weekends.
    It would be well worth getting insured with someone else other than QD so - as if I had a crash on either car I could just drop that policy and keep the other going clean.
    I win either way: save on diesel/less wear on the 4X4 - insurance if I have a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

thelurcher wrote:

If I have a crash in the Hibs car then that obviously doesn't affect the QD NCB or my premium with them?

Unless you're asked did you have a claim in the last X number of years. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Note: You are generally only insured 3rd party when driving someone else's car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

A car has to be insured to be on a public roadway - that's the catch. It can be parked up on private property without tax and insurance, but once it hits the public domain it becomes illegal.
    blastman wrote:
    Hmm, wonder if I can put one of the cars in my cat's name....

You could do this anyway, it mightn't allow you to drive it without insurance, but if you were caught speeding on a camera the points would automatically go to the registered owner of the vehicle.........

sandyg wrote:
    On my insurance as im sure it is the same for most others is the you are insured to drive someone else's car (on full licence) once you have full permission from the owner and it is taxed and insured by that person.

I understand that - but I'm interested in their resoning behind this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

bubby wrote:
    I understand that - but I'm interested in their resoning behind this

It's to cocer emergency's mainly - eg you or a friend need to be taken to hospital etc. Also to make sure that you can reverse your housemates/flatmates/mams/dads/ car out of the drive without having to cover a temporary additional vehicle.

The cover is usually only on a third party only basis so won't even cover fire or theft - although if you stay with axa for three tears straight, on the fourth they up that to Fully comp.

Hmm .. interesting .. I noticed it on my policy, but didn't notice that it was only third party. Suppose its handy to have - but if you reversed it intothe driveway pillar, teh it would only cover the damage to the pillar and not your Mam, Dad's car! Must remember that when I have to reverse the bf's car out of the drive from blocking in my car the next time :)

Advertisement