Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marty Whelan on Morning 2FM

Options
  • 30-08-2005 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2005/0830/whelanm.html

From the 26/09/05 Marty will be on 2fm.

He didn't do much of a job when he was sitting in for Jerry Ryan.

But I read that he was good on the Centry Radio morning show before it closed down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I thought he did a terrible job standing in for Gerry Ryan..... I imagine he can be partly blamed for the Gerry Ryan show losing listeners over the summer (and consequently the upsurge in listeners to Ray on TodayFM).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

morty has to be the most dreary boring dj ever
    "old granny radio"

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Looks like a major overhaul of 2fm is on the cards.
    Rick O'Shea is being moved back to night time to battle against, the brilliant, Ray Foley (& JP).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

TmB wrote:
    I thought he did a terrible job standing in for Gerry Ryan..... I imagine he can be partly blamed for the Gerry Ryan show losing listeners over the summer (and consequently the upsurge in listeners to Ray on TodayFM).

He only stood in for a few weeks and wouldn't affect the jnlr figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 whitenose

rick and ruth are dire, i noticed gareth o, callaghan was back on
    holiday duty

i thought he was at loggerheads with rte due to departing so quickly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

wow, I'm glad rick and ruth are gone. They were awful. Marty is much better then them. Listening to a cow moo for two hours would be more entertaining than listenig to those 2 intolerable idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

This can only mean one thing, his hair has finally got too thin for television, even with the bleach applied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Bex

Nightwish wrote:
    wow, I'm glad rick and ruth are gone. They were awful. Marty is much better then them. Listening to a cow moo for two hours would be more entertaining than listenig to those 2 intolerable idiots.

rick and ruth seemed to try for a wacky format (kinda like the stramberry alarmclock) but it didn't really suit the rte audience. And they just didn't have the right chemistry together....they're better separately on their own shows.

I don't remember Marty on the radio (Centry was before my time Elmo ;) ). Gonna listen in with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

when driving to work in the morning i love listening to gerry ryan really do , but marty whealan was dire and just made me put on anything instead , even today fm / spin anything instead of him , as for rick and ruth personally i think it was hard shoes they had to fill stepping into the morning slot ryan D was so good at it and he appealed to a large audience

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Centry was before my time Elmo

Read it in the news paper, about a year ago someone was giving out about Turbirty and saying that Marty should get a morning slot because he was very good on Centry.

I vaguly remember Centry.

I don't think if you where around you would remember the few months it was on the air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

I suppose ever since Ian Dempsey left for Today FM RTE have had real trouble filling the 2FM morning slot.
    Obviously Ryan Tubridy was pulling in the listeners and how 2FM managed to let him go to Radio 1 for a summer stand in slot I do not know.

If people are basing Marty Whelan’s ability in the morning on what he did at Century then they would need to have their heads examined, Century went bust in Nov 1991, yes 1991 !!!

It’s grasping at straws if you ask me, but at least it’s not Gareth O’ Callaghan, he has to be the worst radio present on a national station ever.

If people are basing Marty Whelan’s ability in the morning on what he did at Century then they would need to have their heads examined, Century went bust in Nov 1991, yes 1991

There where other reasons for the Closure of Centry Radio. Ray Bruke anyone!!!

Lets face it Today FM aren't currently providing the remit that they initally started with, anyone remember Radio Ireland?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Elmo wrote:
    There where other reasons for the Closure of Centry Radio. Ray Bruke anyone!!!

Lets face it Today FM aren't currently providing the remit that they initally started with, anyone remember Radio Ireland?????

I'm not blaming Marty for Century's downfall, just that basing someone’s ability on a certain slot based on what they did 14 years ago is not that wise.
    Things have changed a lot in 14 years, morning radio show are now more talk that music and there is so much more listener participation with texts etc.

Things have changed a lot in 14 years, morning radio show are now more talk that music and there is so much more listener participation with texts etc.

True.

Also Marty has gone insane. He wasn't as insane 14 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I used to enjoy marty's evening show on 2fm when I was a kid, but this was in the late eighties for god's sake. His stint on Century was more than just a few months - I think the station lasted a couple of years.

RTE are really taking the piss with 2FM - it's becoming a retirement home for old Smashie n' Nicie type DJs. there's no justification for spending our licence fee money on this tat when plenty of other stations are providing extremely similar offerings.

2FM is supposed to be a youth station and who do they have? - Gerry Ryan, Marty Whelan, Larry Gogan, Dave Fanning - all old men of 50+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Sherlock

Marty Whelan actually was a big success when standing in for Gerry Ryan and got loads of good reviews. I personally found his peppy personality irritating on TV but I have to admit I thought he was very good on his recent stint on radio and he'd be way better than the idiots hes replacing. His interviews were actually very good and he seemed to be actually interested in the people he was talking to.

In fairness to Marty Whelan he could always do the "REAL LIFE STORIES" on Open House very well. (**** am i admitting that i was once an avid fan of Marty and Mary :eek: )

Yes he can do sincere

Centry Radio 1989 - 1991

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_Radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

It was a bit strange of them to bring back Marty, but I am grateful to him for splitting up Rick and Ruth. The worst thing about this is the fact that Ruth is going to have the 4pm to 6pm slot now.. She is so irritating: I thought it was just me but it seems other people are annoyed by her as well..

Marty is one of the golden oldies, but I don't see a more suitable replacement.. There's not many other people in 2fm at the moment who the slot would suit. At least Marty is a personality; someone like Damian Farrelly would be even worse. Also, Marty didn't do that bad a job fillling in for Gerry Ryan; they usually get Avril Hoare or Gareth O'Callaghan. The two of them are enough to make an onion cry.

It's a pity that the most interesting young DJs would never take a slot like this because they wouldn't play the bland music it would require.. Cormac Battle and Mr. Spring are two of the wittiest, interesting talents around but there's more chance of Bertie Ahern doing the breakfast show than either of the two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

2FM is supposed to be a youth station and who do they have? - Gerry Ryan, Marty Whelan, Larry Gogan, Dave Fanning - all old men of 50+.

Age isn't so much an issue (the late John Peel, or the currently still living Annie Nightingale over on the Beeb), but presenting style.

I'm not sure Marty Whelan would have been my first choice for "youth orientated" 2FM though!

I wonder if John Clarke would go after the king of breakfast radio Ian Dempsey
    or are the wounds still do deep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Wikipedia wrote:
    Century never managed to reach full coverage in Ireland, covering only Dublin, Cork and Limerick.

funny that, i had it in Dungarvan, Co. Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Badabing wrote:
    I wonder if John Clarke would go after the king of breakfast radio Ian Dempsey
    or are the wounds still do deep.
    Of what wounds do you speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I couldn't bear more than a few minutes of Marty's fawning over every damn thing he read/talked about. "We love XXX" or "XXX is great". Made me want to vomit.

One thing in fairness to him, is that he avoided the total tabloid tat that G Ryan spends far too much time on. Big Brother, for example, was ignored by him, and for that I'm grateful.

I prefer Ryan's opinionatedness (is that a word?? :)) but not his salivating over every piece of rubbish that's printed on that day's Sun.

Don't get me started on Rick and Ruth.../shudder

Of what wounds do you speak?
    He left 2fm for Todayfm in 1998,and i think he was ushered out of montrose when it was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Badabing wrote:
    He left 2fm for Todayfm in 1998,and i think he was ushered out of montrose when it was announced.
    Oh aye - I knew that; I thought there was even more skullduggery than muppets like me were privvy to! Isn't John Clarke also part of the management structure at 2fm as well...

Slightly OT I've a notion that Ian Dempsey feels there may be a 'thaw' in relations between himself and RTE - I think it was on The Panel where he said that something had been mentioned to him that meant his mug might be on the telly more in the future...

Oh aye - I knew that; I thought there was even more skullduggery than muppets like me were privvy to! Isn't John Clarke also part of the management structure at 2fm as well...

Slightly OT I've a notion that Ian Dempsey feels there may be a 'thaw' in relations between himself and RTE - I think it was on The Panel where he said that something had been mentioned to him that meant his mug might be on the telly more in the future...
    I read that too,i wouldn't be surprised if he was offered his old 2fm gig back if marty whelan fails to excite, but he is on great money in today fm and well worth it imo and there is gift grub would that move with him? anyway i hope he doesn't go back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bunker

Well the way things are going for tubridy on radio 1 ,i'd say they might put him back to 2fm if not i think will leahy would be a good replacement for the other 2 eijits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭del_boy85

I used to love Marty's breakfast show on CENTURY way back when... Anyone remember GIVE IT A WHIRL WITH MARTY WHELAN?? However, these days I'm a committed IAN DEMPSEY breakfast show fan. Just think it's got the perfect mix for that time of the morning. It's light and breezy, has plenty of good tunes (loving his obsession with BOWIE) and it's got GIFT GRUB for feck sake!!! Always brings a smile to my face. And yer woman who reads the news is always good for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

I don't now if anybody has mentioned this before but check out www.radiowaves.fm and the forums have some great debates too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement