Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best and Worst Remakes?

• 30-08-2005 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

I was giving out to myself the other day at the amount of remakes there has been lately, Ring, Dark Water, Oldboy to come, etc. But last night I watched the new Dawn of the Dead again and remembered how much it ruled. I also quite liked the Amytiville Horror remake. What remakes do you love and hate?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Fly, The Thing and most recently as you said the Dawn of the Dead remake are all great.

The Planet of the Apes 'Re-imagining' was just so wrong... so so wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The Italian Job, The Fly, Dawn Of The Dead and War Of The Worlds were good remakes. Charlie In The Chocolate Factory is a toughie because it was based on the book and was closer to the source material, as opposed to being a remake of the original movie. Both have their respective pluses and minuses but I prefer the new one.

Planet of the Apes was terrible. Can't really think of any other bad remakes I'v seen... If I'd seen "Herbie:Fully Loaded" I'd imagine that'd be in my bad list.

What were Amityville Horror and House Of Wax like?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Quoted for truth.

I agree on Dawn Of the Dead, fantastic remake, and the original is still one of my all time favourite films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Bacchus wrote:
    The Italian Job, The Fly, Dawn Of The Dead and War Of The Worlds were good remakes. Charlie In The Chocolate Factory is a toughie
    Can't believe I didn't think of War of the Worlds and Charlie & The Chocolate Factory! They were both good I thought.

Bacchus wrote:
    What were Amityville Horror and House Of Wax like?
    Amityville really surprised me. I didn't think I'd enjoy it, but I actually did. Ryan Renolds played a good psycho. It had a very Shining feel to it. I wouldn't go near House of Wax though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

I really hated the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake in 2003, complete rubbish. And I hear they're making another :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Oceans Eleven was class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Oceans Eleven was rubbish.

I didn't mind Eleven, but Twelve was horrible. Although I guess that doesn't count as a remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭StopWatch

anything that originally had Michael Caine in it (even though i'm not a huge fan) I.e Alfie, Get Carter, Italian Job all of which where complete and utter crud. eh..What else... The American remake of Taxi made me want to cry, eh...the shot for shot remake of psycho, jesus that was a bad idea...generally remakes are a load of old nonsense, what people should do IF THEY HAVE TO MAKE A REMAKE, is remake a film that was originally terrible, you know, something that had some good ideas,but ended up being awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Hated the Italian Job. It was just pure crap fluff. Oceans Eleven wasnt THAT great, but it had a kind of electricity that you cant plan that made it great and it didnt come with Oceans Twelve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

I thought the Thomas Crowne Affair remake was better than original and loved the fact that Faye Dunaway was in both (in very different roles)

Though Herbie Reloaded was pretty true to original and certainly enjoyed it a d@mn site more that some of the films my kids drag me to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Painfully true
    CuLT wrote:
    I agree on Dawn Of the Dead, fantastic remake, and the original is still one of my all time favourite films.
    Missed the zombie holding the rifle though, i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Best? The Thing, and The Fly spring to mind instantly. Dawn of The Dead wasn't too bad either, but I'd say that's more of an "Acceptable" remake.

Worst? Christ, any of them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Rhyme wrote:
    Missed the zombie holding the rifle though, i think
    My favourite zombie was the one with the tambourine...

Now there's an idea for a thread... name your favourite on screen zombie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Now there's an idea for a thread... name your favourite on screen zombie...
    Cha-Ching!

The remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was pretty okay... not a patch on the original.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

The new charlie and the chocolate factory was unreal-very entertaining with a wonderful dark edge to it. that new herbie( prob not technically a remake, but a comeback)was rubbish. i want those 2 hours of my life back! i'd love to see them remake the a-team(even though nothing could hold a candle to the tv series)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

As everyone else has said The Thing, The Fly, Dawn Of The Dead & I actually liked The Chainsaw masacre remake. I think im the only one.

Hmm all horror movies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

best for me would have to be Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I thought it was amazing. I was a huge fan of the original, but as soon as I heard the Tim Burton was making it again, I knew it would be fantastic.

The worst for me would be Alfie-pure ****e.Jude Law is a crap actor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

The Oceans Eleven remake was good, simply because it made a decent movie out of the shambles that was the original. I like the Planet of the Apes remake, but I definitely think I'm in the minority there. Likewise, I thought the Night of the Living Dead remake was pretty fantastic, but I'm probably in the minority there too. The Assault on Precinct 13 one was so-so. Carnival of the Souls made me want to gouge my eyes out.

Tusky wrote:
    As everyone else has said The Thing, The Fly, Dawn Of The Dead & I actually liked The Chainsaw masacre remake. I think im the only one.

Hmm all horror movies...
    I liked Texas Chainsaw Massacre too. Although there's been more than one right? :confused: Well the one I'm thinking of is the one with Jessica Biel.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

ObeyGiant wrote:
    I like the Planet of the Apes remake, but I definitely think I'm in the minority there.

planet_of_the_apes1.jpg

You've gone and made Charlie all upset :(

Red Dragon I thought was crap in comparison to Manhunter which was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

I hated the american version of the ring after watching the japanese version Wasn't a big fan of the new Lost in Space, and I really almost walked out of the italian job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Red Dragon I thought was crap in comparison to Manhunter which was excellent.

The script of Red Dragon was a lot closer to the book but the casting of Norton and Fiennes was wrong in my view, certainly not as good as Petersen and Noonan in Manhunter.

The thing i always liked about Manhunter was Brian Cox as Lecktor.
    I love Hopkins for the big screen effect and he is a better actor, but i always imagined a serial killer would behave and talk normally like Cox did rather than walking around slithering his tongue and talking about gourmet food.(not that i have insider knowledge)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Redneck_Rebel

Well if he was a serial killer that eat his victums maybe it was only true to form that he enjoyed the finer side of food. I'd settle for a good feed of spuds myself but what do I know about canabalisum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

The worst remake was Get Carter with Sylvester Stallone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

the remake of Night of the living dead with the candyman guy was excellent i thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I actually liked the remake of Psycho. It's just the original with people who can atually act! Vince Vaughn was fansastic in Anthony Perkins role, plus it had the opening ariel shot that Hitchcock wanted but had no way of performing. If you liked the original, there's no reason not to like this.

And I agree with D-FENS that Brian Cox was, to me, a better Hannibal Lector. He seemed more intimidating and realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

bombidol wrote:
    the remake of Night of the living dead with the candyman guy was excellent i thought.

Yep, I agree.
    Tony Todd is a bit of a legend anyway.

• Advertisement

jomanji wrote:
    And I agree with D-FENS that Brian Cox was, to me, a better Hannibal Lector. He seemed more intimidating and realistic.

I concur. Hopkins was very OTT in his role, and after Silence Of The Lambs, he was very Bond Villian-esque. I think the only thing Red Dragon had going for it was Philip Seymour Hoffman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

bombidol wrote:

Yeah, thats a great one. I like alot of the typical remakes, such as the Ring, the Grudge, etc. Italian Job, Get Carter, jesus, they were awful. Planet of the Apes had an interesting start, but pretty soon headed down the path of ****. The new Dawn of the Dead was a great movie as well, in a different sort of way to the old one but great nonetheless.

I liked the texas chainsaw remake, not so much that I liked it as much as I thought it was better then the original it imitated.

The fly was good also, but you can't beat the cheesiness of the original. Assassin was a good remake of Nikita, other then that, nothing overwhelmingly striking me at the current moment.

War of the Worlds. Original film is a good laugh. Spielberg version, despite its argued flaws, is a fantastic watch. Very dark. The Hines version of War of the worlds (released this year) is a farce. Farce is too good a word. The other version, with C Thomas Howell and Jake Busey is watchable.

Will prob think of a rake more later, but nothing coming to me now....

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

Vanilla Sky :(

Open Your Eyes :)

D-FENS wrote:
    The script of Red Dragon was a lot closer to the book but the casting of Norton and Fiennes was wrong in my view, certainly not as good as Petersen and Noonan in Manhunter.

The thing i always liked about Manhunter was Brian Cox as Lecktor.
    I love Hopkins for the big screen effect and he is a better actor, but i always imagined a serial killer would behave and talk normally like Cox did rather than walking around slithering his tongue and talking about gourmet food.(not that i have insider knowledge)

Yeah i agree on brian cox, i think manhunter was a wholly more realistic film with more realistic emotions in there giving it a more chilling effect. Peterson was fantastic in comparison to Norton, who i dont think was cast well. Red Dragon just gave me the impression of being made for the $.

Yeah i agree on brian cox, i think manhunter was a wholly more realistic film with more realistic emotions in there giving it a more chilling effect. Peterson was fantastic in comparison to Norton, who i dont think was cast well. Red Dragon just gave me the impression of being made for the $.

Norton just did it for the $ aswell, apparantly to finance The 25th Hour, and I think it reflected in his preformance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

The amityville(sp) horror remake was very good,the first one was quite boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mizzy

The Magnificent Seven - crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭_Turismo4

Tim Burton’s Plant of the Apes. S*it… What more do I need to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I'll most likely get slated for this, but i actually enjoyed the Cape Fear, purely for De Niro.Not that i did'nt like the original.

But by and large, remake = cr*p, the worst being possibly Bedazzled and the Stepford Wives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Norton just did it for the $ aswell, apparantly to finance The 25th Hour, and I think it reflected in his preformance.
    Wasn't that his excuse for the Italian Job as well?

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Wasn't that his excuse for the Italian Job as well?

I don't know, I only read that about Red Dragon. Could be though. He is a good actor, so I wouldn't hold those preformances against him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement