Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using PI forum for own purposes

• 30-08-2005 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Recently I came across a post from somebody I know in the Personal Issues forum. In the post this guy detailed a problem of his and how it was affecting his friendships with people. It was something people said he had done but he said he hadn't.

Now I understand why this forum can be helpful for people - they can get an impartial view on something and it can help to get an outsider's opinion about things. However with this particular person I'm completely dumbfounded because as I read his problem I realised that he was lying about things in his post. The big thing that he claimed he hadn't done - he had done. I know this for a fact.

What I can't figure out is if he did this with the intention of trying to trick me into thinking that he was an innocent (he didn't know at the time that I had heard from a third party involved that this 'thing' had indeed happened) or whether he was trying to convince himself.

Has anyone else ever encountered people trying to use the PI forum for purposes like this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Wow. Intruiging stuff. Maybe he's writing a novel and wanted some ideas for what one of the characters would do next? Maybe he gets a thrill out of people helping him solve non-existant problems. Maybe he's in love with one of the mods of this forum and that his heart lights up with joy at the thought that they will soon be glancing through his words in the moderation queue. Maybe it's not really the guy you thought it was. Maybe he really does have a problem but that he changed some of the details to preserve his anonymity. Maybe he was telling the truth and that you do not know him well enough or can't imagine how his life is. Maybe your paranoia is justified. So many options...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Did you post a reply saying this on the thread OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

maybe he'll just read your above post and know its you talking about him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Its called self vindication, there are always 3 sides to a story Person As side Persons Bs and then theres the truth.

Whoever you are on about put out their side with a view to people here vindicating him and thus making him feel better about the thing he is alleged to have done. Everyone does it in some form as a way to justify their actions. Altho it may not haven been tru i bet whatever version he says he is sticking to.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

KdjaC wrote:
    then theres the truth.

But truth is in the eye of the beholder.

OP: Maybe he honest believes his version of events. Maybe you are mistaken. Maybe he's a pathological liar. Who knows.

You cant ever get inside someone's head and without that you will never know why they are saying something. Chill out and relax. Getting up tight about it aint gonna help you any.

Personally I treat every PI OP as honest - lets face it unless they post honestly in the first place they arent going to get a valid solution to their problem, so they are only hurting themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yes some people will abuse PI and just about any other facility available.
    Wondering1 wrote:
    The big thing that he claimed he hadn't done - he had done. I know this for a fact.
    Wondering1 wrote:
    he didn't know at the time that I had heard from a third party involved that this 'thing' had indeed happened
    Is it a fact or is it an opinion yout heard from someone else?

Of course some people are pathological liars. /me isn't looking at nobody.

See?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ok well - I suppose I would have to be a bit more specific before it makes sense.

The 'thing' that was lied about happened between the guy and a girlfriend of someone. They had both been dening it but then she admitted it and her boyfriend went crazy.

I think he didn't know that she had finally told the truth and was trying to manipulate me into thinking that any rumours about him were untrue. He failed miserably if he was.

Anyways - just a little vent. If it wasn't for manipulation purposes I don't know why someone would post something on here that is so completely untrue.

I appreciate that there is a few sides to ever story but some things you either did or didn't do. There is no opinion involved. It's either fact or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Eolyn

Ok well why would you beleive her and not your friend? That happened to my friend. The girl lied and the friendship was ruined coz my freind had turned her down. Maybe she is the pathalogical liar! You dont know. Maybe it wasnt how it seems.

It could be alot of things. You'll prolly never know.

*shrugs*

Wondering1 wrote:
    I appreciate that there is a few sides to ever story but some things you either did or didn't do. There is no opinion involved. It's either fact or not.

Did you read any of this thread?
    The fact is you dont know if anything went on unless you saw it with your own eyes.
    Even then it would be open to interpretation.

All you have to go on is 2 people were denying it. Now only 1 is. You still dont know the truth - and probably never will.

Try looking up the difference between fact and conjecture in the dictionary.

Also try to educate yourself a bit more try the Skeptics and the Philosophy Fora.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well the guy in question subsequently admitted it too. So I do know it happened.

My thing was though why would he come on here and blantantly lie anonymously about something. What purpose would it have served to lie about something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Reality is the belief held by the imagination. Quite a few people lie about themselves in public, possibly because it's easier for them to deny the truth if other people believe what they wish the reality was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

so this thread has little about people's own agenda in general, and more about your issues.
    well, at least its a PI, but really, if you have an issue, then perhaps you should talk about it instead of skirting around it, and letting dribs and drabs of information come out.

at the moment, there actually doesnt seem to be any real substance to this thread, so unless someone wants to put a bit of flesh around it and make this thread into something sensible, i will close it off at some stage this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Is this the thread where the guy admitted to text sex with another woman, but all the while denying that he didn't actually do the physical dirty on his girlfriend? I thought at the time that that post sounded fishy..

But anyway, enough speculation. People will always try to put the best spin on what they do, it's called self-preservation, and it's often done unconciously. He definitely conciously lied, but the question is why? Is he trying to protect someone? You know he lied, but what's the point in telling us. None of us personally know this man, and we all realise that posts on boards are from the viewpoint of the poster only.

OP: Why does it bother you so much? What problem is it causing you?

Advertisement