Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disband the Irish hockey teams.

Options
  • 30-08-2005 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

God I am so angry. The Irish hockey team can’t play the national anthem or fly our national flag because people from the Northern Ireland think it doesn’t represent them.

This is not a sporting matter so please don’t move it mods.

People from the north can’t hijack our country for their own ends. It’s our country, our culture. If they want to play hockey then they can go to England and play their game there.

The Irish government gives grants to Irish hockey. How then can the farcical arrangements where we held the European Championships here but can’t even fly our own flag in our country. It’s pathetic

The fact that they don’t want to wear green anymore is another disgrace. This wouldn’t be tolerated in any other European country.

Comments

you moan the same way about the rugby?
    Notice something would you please, the Irish rugby team, and the irish Hockey team represent the island of ireland, which doesn't have the same national anthem or flag as the Republic of Ireland. It's as easy as that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

jubbly wrote:
    If they want to play hockey then they can go to England and play their game there.

Who are they and why is it their game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

edit.. maybe this is a sporting matter ><

In fairness Irish rugby plays in green, and plays the national anthem. The least irish hockey could do is follow suit.

They ?? The people from Northern Ireland UK who are from another country.

listen, you're confused. It would be as ludicrous to sugest what you have as to ask the British and Irish Lions to play with a Union Jack on their hearts.
    look at it like this

----Northern Ireland
    Ireland
    ----Republic of Ireland

when the 2 countries combine under the name "Ireland" then they use an anthem which is acceptable to both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

jubbly wrote:
    In fairness Irish rugby plays in green, and plays the national anthem. The least irish hockey could do is follow suit

Wait... They haven't gone and voted Ireland's Call as the national anthem, have they? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

The simple fact is that the IHA has loads of sponsors from both sides of the border - the Irish govt is just one of many.

You should be glad there is a united irish hockey team - and quit your whining about the symbol they play under. Fortunately your mindless republicanism has nothing to do with Hockey.

jubbly wrote:
    edit.. maybe this is a sporting matter ><

In fairness Irish rugby plays in green, and plays the national anthem. The least irish hockey could do is follow suit.

They ?? The people from Northern Ireland UK who are from another country.

Have you ever even seen an Irish hockey international? They do play in green.

The rugby team don't play the anthem away from Dublin and whenever an international was played in Belfast "God Save the Queen" would be played.

Perhaps we shouldn't let the Northern teams play in the GAA championship....maybe Dublin might have a chance then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Viscosity

I've always believed that the reason why Hockey, Rugby, entrants to the Olympics have players from both sides of the border is that their governing bodies like the IRFU were founded prior to partition. It really throws up some strange cases where people who consider themselves British end up representing Ireland. As far as I know Wayne McCoullagh is from the Shankill Road. I remember when he won the medal in 1992, one of his neighbours hung out a Union Jack for the RTE cameras.

I really don't have a problem with the fact that they don't sing the national anthem. Sport should be above politics. The fact that we have two soccer associations on this island hasn't really benefited anyone.

But yes I'm all for banning the six counties from the GAA, and Dublin too!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Im glad that everyone else is happy with the status quo.

The way I see it is, we dont have a hockey team. We have a team that says it plays for Ireland but we arent allowed to play our own anthem and were not allowed to have our flag flown. They are changing to a navy colour. The soccer team wouldnt be allowed to do that.

I would have a heart attack if the soccer team wasnt allowed to fly an Irish Tri Colour and the anthem. Would you not be ?

The national team should represent the country its playing for. They are representing US out there, not Northern Ireland. I really cant accept this.

England is part of the United Kingdom along with Northern Ireland.

Im not a nationalist / republian btw.

• Advertisement

They are representing all the people of this island...and I for one am proud of that. Oh and i am a nationalist ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

jubbly wrote:
    God I am so angry. The Irish hockey team can’t play the national anthem or fly our national flag because people from the Northern Ireland think it doesn’t represent them.

The fact that they don’t want to wear green anymore is another disgrace. This wouldn’t be tolerated in any other European country.

It is an all Ireland team, it represents both Ireland and Northern Ireland and currently Amhran na bhFiann does not represent all the island of Ireland. Also can't find anything on the Irish Hockey site that says they are changing their stirp, can you provide a link please? They certainly played in green at the european championship.

As for Irelands Call - hmmm can take it or leave it, but it certainly doesn't freak me out that it's played.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think they should change our anthem anyway. Nobody speaks Irish in any meaningful way so the anthem should be in english for a start. Ireland's call is more rousing for a sporting occasion than Amhrain na bhFiann IMO anyway. I certainly believe that an all-ireland team should play under a flag and anthem acceptable to all communities on the island. I like the shamrock as a symbol of the island. The harp is sort of taken as the O'Neill harp represents the political entity, Ireland (the only country in the world with a musical instrument as it's emblem btw!). As a firm irish soccer fan who never misses a home international and has been away to many I'd happily ditch the tricolour & anthem to get a unified team-ok Norn Iron are a can of p!ss now but they have had serious talent in the past and a bigger pool of players should make us a stronger side in the long run.

I am poles apart Murphaph. I am personally proud of the Irish national anthem. I like the fact that we use Irish words instead of some wishy washy English version - Irelands call -which sounds all airy fairy, middle class and lacklustre. (I voted for the Irish language to be used as an EU language and would like to see the language grow not demise). I like the way there is a big uplifting end and it’s fantastic when we sing it away in World Cups etc.

The French national anthem is like ours (militaristic) and they are never going to change it. Would they ever change to an English anthem? I never feel the same about Irelands call. It was forced upon us by a minority.

Supporting your national team away from home is one of the few ways you can express your Irish ness collectively. I want to support the Ireland I (and the rest of the world) know, not what some person from Antrim thinks it should be.

To be brutally honest, a small group of northern unionist take part in two sports: rugby and hockey. There are less of them in rugby and so they made do with the inclusion of Irelands call. There are a great proportion of them in hockey (compared to people from Republic of Ireland) and the way I see it is, they are not having one bit of our country yet they want to play under "Ireland". What kind of a hijack is that?

Why don’t they go and play for Northern Ireland, England or where ever and fly whatever flag they fancy and sing whatever song they wish. I think it would be fairer than them taking over the Irish hockey team and stripping us with without any form of identity.

I never want to have a faked down Ireland, something that I don’t recognise as being Irish, a team lining out that I don’t recognise as being Irish. The way I see it, Ireland is Ireland, England is England. If you don’t want to play for a country then fine – no one is forcing you. Trying to overtake another countries identity (which you don’t accept as your own) and making it your own is not on for me. I would never try to make England change its jersey, anthem, flay etc.

Plus on top of all this, it will set a bad precedent for an all Ireland soccer team. That’s another thread but I would only be in favour of them joining us without any changes.

2/c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The way I see it is, we dont have a hockey team.
    Correct, its one team for both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
    We have a team that says it plays for Ireland but we arent allowed to play our own anthem and were not allowed to have our flag flown. They are changing to a navy colour.
    The hockey team plays for Ireland, but they do not play for the Republic of Ireland if thats is what you mean, and as there is neither a flag nor an anthem agreed to represent both coutries at the same time so they have to find a compromise as the rugby team does.
    The soccer team wouldnt be allowed to do that. I would have a heart attack if the soccer team wasnt allowed to fly an Irish Tri Colour and the anthem. Would you not be ?
    The soccer team that you are talking about though plays for the single country of the Republic of Ireland, which is a different group of people than the hockey or rugby teams play for.
    The national team should represent the country its playing for. They are representing US out there, not Northern Ireland.
    But they are representing Northern Ireland, just as they are also representing the Republic of Ireland at the same time. Which bit don't you get?

robinph wrote:
    Which bit don't you get?

No need for scarcasim Robinph. Its the lowest form of wit.

If its not the Republic of Ireland out there then I dont give a rats ass if they lose all their games. Its a complete sell out.

As for the new navy blue gear they are getting. Well I heard that on Today FM today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

jubbly wrote:
    I want to support the Ireland I (and the rest of the world) know, not what some person from Antrim thinks it should be.

I better not tell you where Uachtaráin na hEireann is from then!!! :p

You want her out of office now I guess too?

I dont think people from the North are "hijacking" anything here.
    If anything, we're "hijacking" more players, fans and sponsors.
    It's to our advantage to have a greater base for the above!

I dont know why it infuriates you so...

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

I'm from the north, and I think its a disgrace that the Irish hockey team doesn't fly the tri-colour or sing Ambhrán na Fiann.

FFS i fly a tricolour in my own room.

Ireland is one country.
    By not flying the tricolour we're giving into partition thats the Brits forced on uis.

Also to the people here saying people from the north should go to England.....
    we're far more Irish than many of you Free Staters will ever be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

jubbly wrote:
    No need for scarcasim Robinph. Its the lowest form of wit.

If its not the Republic of Ireland out there then I dont give a rats ass if they lose all their games. Its a complete sell out.

As for the new navy blue gear they are getting. Well I heard that on Today FM today.

That wasn't sarcasm, it was a genuine question.

You were comparing the hockey team to the soccer team who represent two different groups of people. Compare it to the rugby team changing their strip to navy and you'd have something to complain about though.

But I doubt they'd do that seeing as there is already Scotland, France and Italy playing in varying shades of blue during the 6 nations and it would get a bit confusing. :confused:

But basicly what you want is two seperate teams competing against each other, with a smaller pool of players to pick from and a smaller source of funding/ sponsorship?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

jubbly wrote:
    People from the north can’t hijack our country for their own ends. It’s our country, our culture. If they want to play hockey then they can go to England and play their game there.

I forgot to mention.... did you support the Irish soccer team a few years ago?
    Remember? An Englishman in charge and only a handful of Irish on the squad.
    Did you have any issues that an Englishman decided on the Irish squad?

• Advertisement

I'm from the north, and I think its a disgrace that the Irish hockey team doesn't fly the tri-colour or sing Ambhrán na Fiann.

Ireland is one country.
    By not flying the tricolour we're giving into partition thats the Brits forced on uis.

Free State? I'm from Ireland.

BTW, which football team do you support solskjaer? ;) Hope it wasn't one the Brits forced upon you?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

Football?
    Why I support Derry opf course.

But I presume you meant soccer...
    In that case...Derry City.
    I also keep an eye on Man Utd's results as well.

just surprised your nick isn't Coyle20 :D

anyway, why not support the Irish hockey team and the different cultures it represents? Surely inclusivity and a team that does not recognise the "partition" and picks it's players from Ireland is a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Ireland is one country.

I feel embaressed that solskjaer20 and jubbly call themselves Irish. It's interesting how the idiotic shinner republicans only ever talk about inclusiveness and welcoming the protestant population into a united ireland. But when it comes to the crunch - even as something as trivial as a hockey match - they suddenly become bigotted, sectarian rabble-rousers.

I'd be willing to bet that both jubbly and solskjaer20 are Glasgow Celtic supporters - a British team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

RuggieBear wrote:
    just surprised your nick isn't Coyle20 :D

anyway, why not support the Irish hockey team and the different cultures it represents? Surely inclusivity and a team that does not recognise the "partition" and picks it's players from Ireland is a good thing
    That's very true. It's jaw-droppingly ironic that despite the fact that the twice (hockey & rugby) that we've a United Irish team, all the Shinner-kids can do is moan and whinge about the song that's played. If they were actually willing to tolerate a non-indiginous culture on the island of Ireland, they might find that United Ireland would come much quicker - but I doubt very much that they ever would. Granted, I don't see the loyalist population being of any help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Out of interest jubbly, are you fluent in Irish? And do you play rugby or hockey?

whiskeyman wrote:
    I forgot to mention.... did you support the Irish soccer team a few years ago?
    Remember? An Englishman in charge and only a handful of Irish on the squad.
    Did you have any issues that an Englishman decided on the Irish squad?

Yes of course I did. I support anyone who is representing my country regardless of race, nationality, sex, etc. Thats not the problem.

The problem is with the few people who have hijacked hockey and hijacked the hockey team that used to represent Ireland. We used to have an Irish team. Now we dont. I cant accept this. It all boils down to a few key points :

A number of Unionist people in Northern Ireland play hockey. They dont have enough people to compete for Northern Ireland on the world stage. So they decided to join together with Ireland exclusively on their terms . They took the players from here and gave us the sh1t end of the stick. Its their warped idea of a all island hockey team. One that plays for two countries with no form of idenity. it might as well be called Atlantis out there because all the results are meaningless.

So what if they win the European Championship. Its not us out there.

If people from the republic of ireland tried to over take the northern ireland soccer team 20 years ago there would be civil war. Imagine us trying to tell them, not to play god save the queen, no british flags and no Northern Irish jersey. Its their right to represent their country.

ReefBreak, Im not a republican. Im sorry that you feel embarassed. Im just pointing out something that wouldnt be acceptable in any other country in Europe.

Sparks wrote:
    Out of interest jubbly, are you fluent in Irish? And do you play rugby or hockey?

Stay on topic Sparks. Re read the first post please.

ReefBreak, I HATE Glasgow Celtic F.C and HATE Rangers F.C BTW. Just go into the soccer forum. I posted as much already. I think they are both excuses for racism.

I have no problem with rugby btw. It plays the Irish national anthem, flys the flag and even takes a handshake from our president.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But realise that Amhrán na bhFiann is a Free State anthem (adopted 1926) and not a true 32-county real-Ireland anthem.
    jubbly wrote:
    The problem is with the few people who have hijacked hockey and hijacked the hockey team that used to represent Ireland.
    Isn't hockey a foreign sport?
    jubbly wrote:
    We used to have an Irish team. Now we dont.
    Then what do we have? Why are you complaining about this team if it isn't even the Irish team?
    jubbly wrote:
    ReefBreak, I HATE Glasgow Celtic F.C and HATE Rangers F.C BTW.
    Well thats the problem, isn't is - H.A.T.E.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

jubbly wrote:
    Stay on topic Sparks. Re read the first post please.
    I did read the first post, and I am on topic.
    Are you fluent in Irish? Do you play hockey? Or rugby?

Advertisement